Share materials

Forums: Share materials
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Share materials

Postby linvanchene » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:30 am

linvanchene Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:30 am
@TRRazor

You are really quick in replying.

In any way I was able to confirm the limitation of templating you pointed out.
Just edited the post and then noticed you replied already.

I will post some screenshots in another thread for those interested.

In any case thank you for trying to bring OctaneRender material presets to DAZ Studio Customers.
Win 10 Pro 64bit | Rendering: 2 x ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti TURBO | Asus RTX NVLink Bridge 4-Slot | Intel Core i7 5820K | ASUS X99-E WS| 64 GB RAM
FAQ: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - FAQ link collection
linvanchene
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:41 am

TRRazor Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:41 am
Sure thing, man - anytime :)

In any case thank you for trying to bring OctaneRender material presets to DAZ Studio Customers.

That's part of our mission :D
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hydra » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:54 pm

Hydra Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:54 pm
I have a asked many times for a clean and safe method of sharing materials, but there seems to be no interest for reasons I can't fathom.

I'd like to be able to copy a material as an ascii format which can be pasted into forums, emails, etc. I'd prefer if it were vaguely view-able, many many other forums have viewers for things like code so it could be web enhanced on these forums. Other people would be able to see what it looks like and even better they could copy and paste that material from the forum into a material on their own projects.

Instead the norm is a lot of work and or posting graphical images which have to be carefully re-entered in your own work space like so.

Cyprine's simple SSS works great;
http://cyprine2013.deviantart.com/art/Sss-545384882
http://cyprine2013.deviantart.com/art/s ... -545858303

I used a slightly different density from what was shared here;
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=54038
-----------------
Intel i7-4790K, Asus Z97-A, Corsair 32GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9, 2XAsus STRIX GTX980 DirectCU II OC 4GB, 4XSamsung 840 EVO Raid 10, Win 7 x64 Pro.
Hydra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:51 pm

TRRazor Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:51 pm
Other people would be able to see what it looks like and even better they could copy and paste that material from the forum into a material on their own projects.

You do realize that there are content creators out there not necessarily wanting to give away their hard work for free, right ? :)

I think it is up to each and every content creator how he/she likes to publicize his/her work.

I'm pretty sure that the Open Shading Language features soon to be introduced into OctaneRender will make it easier for content creators to digitally manage their intellectual property, while still open the whole system up more to novice users and enthusiasts.
We're certainly looking forward to that point :)
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:24 pm

TRRazor Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:24 pm
TRRazor wrote:
Other people would be able to see what it looks like and even better they could copy and paste that material from the forum into a material on their own projects.

You do realize that there are content creators out there not necessarily wanting to give away their hard work for free, right ? :)

I think it is up to each and every content creator how he/she likes to publish his/her work.

I'm pretty sure that the Open Shading Language features soon to be introduced into OctaneRender will make it easier for content creators to digitally manage their intellectual property, while still open the whole system up more to novice users and enthusiasts.
We're certainly looking forward to that point :)
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hydra » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:51 pm

Hydra Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:51 pm
Dude... I totally get that. You might consider that right now, you have no protection to prevent sharing of dufs or jpgs of your shaders. I'm sort of surprised that Octane doesn't have a mechanism to tie licenses to rendering engines. I think Daz has some sort of license control.

One way to prevent the mechanism I describe above would be to have a one way flag set in a material that prevents simple ascii copy and paste as I describe above. At least then you'd need a hacker to figure out how to flip it back on.

[FYI, I'm an engineer, and I've gone over software security issues for many companies. At one company I sued employees for cutting and pasting source code from our products into theirs. When they denied it (they were shipping a different revision), I hacked their website, downloaded what they were shipping, then reverse engineered and decompiled their source code and pulled our algorithms out of it to give as evidence in the trial.]
-----------------
Intel i7-4790K, Asus Z97-A, Corsair 32GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9, 2XAsus STRIX GTX980 DirectCU II OC 4GB, 4XSamsung 840 EVO Raid 10, Win 7 x64 Pro.
Hydra
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TRRazor » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:43 am

TRRazor Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:43 am
Dude... I totally get that. You might consider that right now, you have no protection to prevent sharing of dufs or jpgs of your shaders

Yes, we do know this.
We have a relatively liberal point of view, when it comes to pirating our shaders, though.
We've approached people in warez boards who requested our products, which on one hand honored us (very early in our production years) but on the other hand obviously stated an issue.

We do know that for many people pirating software is a first step into digital arts, so we approached these folks and asked them what they were willing to pay instead of the asking price.
We could arrange something with them in the end and in some cases even gave the shaders away for free.

I'd rather have somebody use our shaders for free then use Iray - but that is just my personal opinion :)

I absolutely don't favor DRM and copyright protection measurements as these usually are pestering paying customers.
All in all, we're pretty happy with the current model and do like the way things are going :)

I guess the trick in dealing with piracy is simply not to think about it too much, since you will never be able to avoid it anyway :)
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlru » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:20 am

mlru Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:20 am
thanks for that workflow linvanchene.

since the DAZ plugin is missing the simple import/export functionality the Poser plugin has, this seems to be at least an acceptable alternate route to go.
I usually use a lot of self-made templates, so I pretty much depend on that for a smooth workflow.
Win11/64Bit | GTX 4090 24GB | NVidia Driver 546.29 | Octane 4.05 | DAZ Studio 4.21
mlru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to DAZ Studio