OctaneRender 2 for DAZStudio [STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for DAZStudio [STABLE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2.24.2 [STABLE]

Postby Sorel » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Sorel Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:59 pm
Hi Paul. I reverted to the drivers you suggested but still got the crash. I also exported the scene from the systems tab as "complete scene" and as orbx, but when I open in the standalone I can only see the hdri rendering in the viewport and no geometry. Am I missing something?
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby swipswap » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:46 am

swipswap Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:46 am
Sorel wrote:So I think I might be narrowing down what might be causing my drivers to randomly crash on certain things. My latest of this happening is, for anyone who has the Micah Hair Frizzies product from dimension theory, I set this up in my scene. I had the hair, plus outer layers 1 and 2. The hair, and both of the layers use displacement. So I hit render, it's fine for a while, then I get the driver crash. so i start fiddling with different settings and stuff to see what might be happening. I turn one f the layers off and render, and it renders a bit longer without problems. Then it crashes again. So I turn of the other layers as well, so now the only thing in the scene with displacement is the single hair prop. I hit render, and it is currently rendering without issues. Could there possibly be an issue where having too many displacements in a scene can just cause the driver to crash? It's very strange...but I have used this product before without problems...I feel like if it was my card it would just crash no matter what I do. But when my current render is finished, I will try and setup a scene that can replicate the issue and send it to you Paul.

Displacement is very sensitive in Octane. If you look up displacement issues on here you'll see others struggling to use displacement. I'm not experienced enough to help, but you could try using only displacement and removing bumps and normals and see if that keeps your samples from freezing.
swipswap
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:22 am

face_off Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:22 am
I also exported the scene from the systems tab as "complete scene" and as orbx, but when I open in the standalone I can only see the hdri rendering in the viewport and no geometry. Am I missing something?
You need to open the Viewport prior to exporting, as per https://docs.otoy.com/DazStudio/?page_id=495.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sorel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:58 am

Sorel Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:58 am
I can confirm it crashes the standalone as well.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:11 am

Sorel Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:11 am
I also just tested on my main card (that rarely renders) and it also had a driver crash, so I definitely think it must be how octane is handling something, possibly displacement from what I have been experimenting with all day. I doubt something is wrong with BOTH of my cards. Am I allowed to send the orbx as is or do I need to make an alternate duf scene to send using something like the starter essentials to try and reproduce the problem?
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:43 am

face_off Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:43 am
I also just tested on my main card (that rarely renders) and it also had a driver crash, so I definitely think it must be how octane is handling something, possibly displacement from what I have been experimenting with all day. I doubt something is wrong with BOTH of my cards. Am I allowed to send the orbx as is or do I need to make an alternate duf scene to send using something like the starter essentials to try and reproduce the problem?
Does it crash the driver on Octane 2.25 or Octane 3 alpha 4? If so, can you pls zip up the ORBX file and post it on the relevant Octane Standalone thread, so that the Otoy devs can action it. Or send it to me and I will pass it on to them.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sorel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Sorel Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:35 pm
Hi Paul. I first started experiencing these crashes with the 3.0 alpha plugin. I thought it might have been a bug with that version so I reverted back to the current 2.24 version of the plugin where the problem persisted (I didn't have the problem before). The crash also happened in the 2.25 standalone version.

Here is the file, maybe you'd like to try it out and see what results you get?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0nkwcy08xk7a63/m6.zip?dl=0
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:06 pm

Sorel Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:06 pm
Ok so I wanted to use the hair frizzies still, so I took out the displacement maps since I assumed that was what the problem was. So I let it render and about 6 minutes in it crashes...so...I dont know what the problem could be now. The only thing it is is two geometry shells with transparencies and textures...so it's either too many transparencies or geometry shells are being weird.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itou31 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:56 pm

itou31 Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:56 pm
Hi Sorel,

Just test your scene, and it renders fine on my system with standalone 2.25, also test with V3 alpha 4 (with only main Titans as I have freeze on 1X PCIe), and render also well. I use also TGX hair displacement) with my model. No pb with OcDs 2.xx on my system.
I7-3930K 64Go RAM Win8.1pro , main 3 titans + 780Ti
Xeon 2696V3 64Go RAM Win8.1/win10/win7, 2x 1080Ti + 3x 980Ti + 2x Titan Black
itou31
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Sorel Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:10 pm
itou31 wrote:Hi Sorel,

Just test your scene, and it renders fine on my system with standalone 2.25, also test with V3 alpha 4 (with only main Titans as I have freeze on 1X PCIe), and render also well. I use also TGX hair displacement) with my model. No pb with OcDs 2.xx on my system.

Thank you for testing it. So I guess it must be something with my system? But it doesn't make sense to me...I'm not sure what could be causing it. I haven't had any other gpu errors other than when rendering certain scenes.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio