OctaneRender 2 for DAZStudio [STABLE]

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for DAZStudio [STABLE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2.24.2 [STABLE]

Postby Sorel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:16 am

Sorel Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:16 am
face_off wrote:
Is there a specific version of octane that needs to be installed?
Any version - as long as it's the installer and not the .ZIP.

Paul

Hi Paul. SO when I tested the scene today after the windows "fix" I got the crash not even 50 samples into the render. I then uninstalled octane standalone 2.41 and installed octane standalone 2.42 and restarted the machine. My machine and apps are all 64 bit by the way. So after installing octane standalone again I tested the scene I'm trying to render, and I thought it was doing good, then I got the crash at about 998 samples. I tried to render it again, and it lasted about 1580 samples before crashing again. I have even gone into the registry and changed the tdrdelay from 10 to 15 and still experience crashes. I dont know if maybe this might be driver related? I hadn't had problems until now, I always keep everything up to date.

Also on the microsoft support page for the do it yourself method it states:

On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit):
For 32 bit Windows
Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows

Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.

I have a 64 bit system, but this tdrdelay registry in the folder already is DWORD(32 bit system) instead of QWORD(64 bit system). Does this make a difference?
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:01 am

face_off Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:01 am
So after installing octane standalone again I tested the scene I'm trying to render, and I thought it was doing good, then I got the crash at about 998 samples. I tried to render it again, and it lasted about 1580 samples before crashing again
This sounds more like an overheating issue or insufficient power from your power supply. Suggest installing Z-GPU to check on temps first.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sorel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:34 am

Sorel Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:34 am
face_off wrote:
So after installing octane standalone again I tested the scene I'm trying to render, and I thought it was doing good, then I got the crash at about 998 samples. I tried to render it again, and it lasted about 1580 samples before crashing again
This sounds more like an overheating issue or insufficient power from your power supply. Suggest installing Z-GPU to check on temps first.

Paul

It's definitely not overheating. I dont know about the voltage though. I could try that and see what happens. I rendered an animation sequence for 8 hours straight the other day with no problems, though that resolution was small and a relatively simple scene..
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:05 am

face_off Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:05 am
It's definitely not overheating. I dont know about the voltage though. I could try that and see what happens. I rendered an animation sequence for 8 hours straight the other day with no problems, though that resolution was small and a relatively simple scene..
You've got 2 x GTX 970 - do you know how much power they use at full throttle? How big is your power supply? You might need to do some searching in these forums to work out if have enough power to driver your cards.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sorel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:21 am

Sorel Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:21 am
I have a 1050 watt power supply. However I only use the second card for rendering
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:29 am

face_off Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:29 am
I have a 1050 watt power supply. However I only use the second card for rendering
I don't know if that is sufficient or not - you'll need to do some research in these forums. The other thing you can try is to render with the "other" card, and see if the crash occurs with it. If not - it's a faulty card, and if so, it an Nvidia driver issue, or timeout issue. Another option is that you underclock your cards and see if that helps.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Sorel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:43 am

Sorel Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:43 am
I saw a post of someone on here using 3 970s with a 1000 watt power supply, so mine should be more than enough. I will try the other things you suggested and report back.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:14 am

Sorel Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:14 am
Ok so...I tried older drivers, didn't work. I did switch to the gpu I use for display and didn't run into any problems. I also rendered the scene with both gpus and didn't encounter any errors. WHen I went back to just using my second card for rendering I got the crashes again. Then I messed with the gpu throttle settings, I lowered it at first but then decided to just turn it to max again while I went to the store and...the render finished all 5000 samples without problems. So I dont know if it fixed itself somehow or if it's just completely random this happening. Oh well, when I start a new scene I'll see if this stuff happen again.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:49 am

face_off Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:49 am
Ok so...I tried older drivers, didn't work. I did switch to the gpu I use for display and didn't run into any problems. I also rendered the scene with both gpus and didn't encounter any errors. WHen I went back to just using my second card for rendering I got the crashes again. Then I messed with the gpu throttle settings, I lowered it at first but then decided to just turn it to max again while I went to the store and...the render finished all 5000 samples without problems. So I dont know if it fixed itself somehow or if it's just completely random this happening. Oh well, when I start a new scene I'll see if this stuff happen again.
This is starting to look more like a hardware issue with your second card (but I am far from an expert in this area!). Trying under-clocking the second card and see if that helps. Otherwise swap the first and second card so you are using the faulty card as your Windows display adapter and the good card for Octane rendering.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby itou31 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:54 am

itou31 Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:54 am
Hi Paul,

A word about texture resize and saved with duf :
- seems that when resized texture is now saved ! but only those which have type (in texture tab). texture that have no type , VRAM in parentesis, stay sill '1' even if resized (not saved).
- BUT, if you restart a new scene (restart DAZ studio) and start a new figure (V7 for ex) already resized texture in other scene, its textures are also resized for this new scene !?

Not test with V3 (GPU crash pb with V3).
Could someone confirm this bug ?
I7-3930K 64Go RAM Win8.1pro , main 3 titans + 780Ti
Xeon 2696V3 64Go RAM Win8.1/win10/win7, 2x 1080Ti + 3x 980Ti + 2x Titan Black
itou31
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio