OcDS animation

Forums: OcDS animation
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

OcDS animation

Postby huhlig » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:45 pm

huhlig Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:45 pm
Can someone give a short tutorial on how to do an animation with Octane in DAZ Studio 4.8? Part 1: what I figured out. Part 2: my problem. Part 3: problems I managed to solve.

Part 1: Let me take the first steps here, and say what I figured out so far (perhaps this can be done better?), but then say where I run into problems --- perhaps many others do too. Let's say you know how to render a still image, using the Octane DAZ plugin. So, pose or load some animation in DAZ. Select a camera in the "Scene" tab. In the "Camera" tab, switch "Depth of Field" to "on", and, if you have not done so already, make sure it is nicely focused where you want it to be focused during your animation. Go to the "OctaneRender" sub-tab of the "Camera" tab, go to the third item "OctaneRender: Auto/focus modes" and select "Link to DAZ camera". Next, onto the OctaneRender tab. Go to the "Animation" tab there. Make sure that "Rendersetting" is set to the size you want, that the folder locations and file naming is ok, and that you have the right first and last frame set. Ok, hit "Start Animation". With some luck, it will then create a series of files as chosen by your settings.

Part 2: NOW comes my problem. Somehow, the figures do not seem to update their poses!! Very frustrating. I can tell from the sequence of images that the camera IS moving through the frames and (with the "link to DAZ camera") I even get it to focus, as chosen. If the figures change position, they do that too. They just do not change their pose. What am I doing wrong? Ah, and furthermore, once done, the Octane Render Viewport stays open. I cannot close it and I cannot try another animation. The only thing seems to be to restart DAZ, essentially. What is going on there?

Part 3: Incidentally, there are a bunch of other things that can go wrong easily: for example, the camera position may be stuck throughout the render, or it does not animate with the camera chosen in your main viewport. I seemed to get around that by going back to a still render, perhaps restarting DAZ, then still render, until that works as it should. Then at least this little issue got solved, though I imagine there is a simpler way there too. Simply put ... a short "here is a bunch of steps, and yes, now the figures will move and pose as intended" to do a basic animation would be much appreciated. Could it be the graphics card, perhaps? Are some newer NVidia graphics cards not supported?
huhlig
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OcDS animation

Postby larsmidnatt » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:22 pm

larsmidnatt Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:22 pm
which version of the plugin?
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sikotik13 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:13 pm

sikotik13 Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:13 pm
I personally had the same experience as the OP, it just isn't high priority for me at the moment. My camera always animated and focused correctly, but poses of figures never updated (Last time I tried, at the 47th frame of 200, the figure still hadn't altered in the slightest). This is in the latest version of the plugin. I did one working animation when I first started with 1.2. Simple though it was, the animation itself worked flawlessly. I get nothing from the current version, but as I said, it's not really a high priority for me.

Just confirming the issue exists for some of us, and a tutorial of some sort would be nice from those of you who have gotten it to function as intended.
| Intel i7-5960x @ 3.8 GHz| ASUS X99-E WS | 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 2400 Ram | 4x EVGA GTX 980 Ti | Win10 Professional x64 | Watercooled
sikotik13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itou31 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:52 pm

itou31 Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:52 pm
Hi, I have made some basic animation and not seen yet the "not update pose" yet.
What I have seen issue is :
- with a camera I have only render 4x4 pixel : --> solution delete this camera and create a new one.
- render viewport as blank : delete camera also and redo settings.

Always save the work before rendering animation, and if reload, always check camera setting as it seems not saved with the file.

Here is my first animation with the 2.2 plugin : https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49418

and this is my second test (try to make hand constraint) with camera following the figure :

[ Play Quicktime file ] aiko_slide.mp4 [ 2.68 MiB | Viewed 4561 times ]

And this is my third test with morphing.

[ Play Quicktime file ] V6_danse_smile_jeans.mp4 [ 17.69 MiB | Viewed 4561 times ]

I7-3930K 64Go RAM Win8.1pro , main 3 titans + 780Ti
Xeon 2696V3 64Go RAM Win8.1/win10/win7, 2x 1080Ti + 3x 980Ti + 2x Titan Black
itou31
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itou31 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 pm

itou31 Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 pm
Hi there,

Just digging an old post to give and get some advices on render animation with OcDs.

I just finish a fun project on testing dynamic hair and cloth : already post here https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=303516#p303516

Render with OcDs 3.4.5.29.
300 s/p per frame PT
Specular depth to 8

To use all horse power of my rig, I should make the vram use under 2.5GB (780Ti) : the resizing texture feature of OcDs allows this succesfully.
Use also "hotpixel removal" to 0 allows to decrease the s/p for each frame. As it is an animation, some blurring effect due to this feature don't affect much. The other settings are let in default
The tricky DOF is to link the octane camera to daz camera and set daz camera to focus to the main figure/object, but the Fstop is set to octane camera (here is 2.0). I have test the "follow object" mode but during the rendering, the octane camera lost focus.
As I use redspecTGX on characters and hair, I use PT mode, but I think that direct lighting could be an option to speedup the render. On my rig, compiling and tranfering data to GPU (on 1X riser) take about 25% of the render time. And even using 8 GPU is slower than 7 !!

I think about to make other animation like this at FullHD. So if someone has tip and trick to optimize animation rendering workflow , thanks !
I7-3930K 64Go RAM Win8.1pro , main 3 titans + 780Ti
Xeon 2696V3 64Go RAM Win8.1/win10/win7, 2x 1080Ti + 3x 980Ti + 2x Titan Black
itou31
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio