OcDS FIRST RENDERS - FIRST PRIDE :) post here...

Forums: OcDS FIRST RENDERS - FIRST PRIDE :) post here...
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OcDS FIRST RENDERS - FIRST PRIDE :) post here...

Postby SpyroRue » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 am

SpyroRue Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 am
My first octane Render :D Allot of learning, basically wanted to get a feel for it and test out various materials Ive struggled allot in achieving in 3Delight, such as metals, eyeshine, emitters and crystals. I built up my own subsurface and custom mats. Only minor postwork to fix distortions. Its so great to be in unbiased engine again! This was roughly a 2hr 45min render, had to rebuild it a few times though due to the odd crashes. Used the latest OcDs 2.1 version 4 by the time of completion.
Attachments
Gangster_SpyroRue.jpg
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit / Intel Core i7-4790K, 4.00GHz / GeForce GTX 980 / Asus Sabertooth Z97 / 32GB RAM
DA http://spyrorue.deviantart.com
SpyroRue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby larsmidnatt » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:23 pm

larsmidnatt Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:23 pm
SpyroRue wrote:My first octane Render :D Allot of learning, basically wanted to get a feel for it and test out various materials Ive struggled allot in achieving in 3Delight, such as metals, eyeshine, emitters and crystals. I built up my own subsurface and custom mats. Only minor postwork to fix distortions. Its so great to be in unbiased engine again! This was roughly a 2hr 45min render, had to rebuild it a few times though due to the odd crashes. Used the latest OcDs 2.1 version 4 by the time of completion.

Late to reply, but looking sharp.

@rajib Also very nice.

In general I'm going to have to browse through this thread its been like a year since I've looked at any new renders here :)
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby larsmidnatt » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:32 pm

larsmidnatt Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:32 pm
I looked through the thread and there were plenty of interesting things going on :) Wendy as always scared the mess out of me :D

But I'm going to cheat and post another "first pride" :oops: My pc died not long ago and I had to get Octane up and running again. I'm still on plugin 1.0.1 but I know how to get around it's quirks so that's why its my home. Here's a recent render of my avatar. I still mostly render her more toony, but for this render I wanted to make her a tad more human (smaller head and eyes, toned down the toon skin effect)

She still has massive succubus boobs but that's a demongirl for ya :)
Attachments
dungeon_dweller_by_larsmidnatt-d898j5y.jpg
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sikotik13 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:17 pm

sikotik13 Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:17 pm
Late to return to the party, and still using the old version of the plugin, but this was one of the first renders I felt genuinely proud of.
Attachments
Fight Your Way Out.png
| Intel i7-5960x @ 3.8 GHz| ASUS X99-E WS | 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 2400 Ram | 4x EVGA GTX 980 Ti | Win10 Professional x64 | Watercooled
sikotik13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DrHemulen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:48 pm

DrHemulen Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:48 pm
Very nice! How did you do the lightsabers? Mine came out looking a bit boring.
GTX 780, 6 gigs of VRAM - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits
DrHemulen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sikotik13 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:07 pm

sikotik13 Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:07 pm
I am currently in the middle of attempting my first 4k render, so it'll be a bit, but I'll happily post my settings once this is done. My inner Star Wars geek got all excited when it came out looking as good as it did, lol.

Edit: Realized I forgot to turn on smoothing, so the render needed to stop anyway. *sigh*
Plus side, my settings:

Kernel and Imager
Kernel and Imager.PNG

(Post processing settings may be adjusted, but this got the look I wanted for the glow effect, unsure if only works with this kernel, since I use it almost exclusively)

Mat settings
Mat Settings and Initial Look.PNG

It looks horrible for the first few hundred samples, depending on scene, may take up to 20k+ samples to clear up

Final look
Aria Sabre.png

I stopped this at about 16k samples, as it was adequate for the render's purpose at the time, the image before went to about 35k, since it was a darker scene.
The alternate colors were variations of the diffuse RGB and Emissive RGB, generally in a similar ratio (I'd just shift the colors using the sliders).
This mat was set up in 1.2, but converts to 2.x just fine, since it's just a diffuse texture with RGB assignments.
I forget where I got the model for the saber, but it was a free pack of them uploaded somewhere. The blade itself looks like an orange plastic tube in the DS viewport.

Oh, the whole point of the experiment was to attempt to get a lightsaber effect without post-work, so there is none on any of this, it's all straight from Daz and OcDS. Not that I dislike Photoshop, I was just curious how well Octane could manage unrealistic things, and it surprised me. Granted, Direct Lighting is technically biased, I still could not reproduce the effect in 3delight (despite trying for a few years).

...And now, back to restarting that 4k render attempt...
| Intel i7-5960x @ 3.8 GHz| ASUS X99-E WS | 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 2400 Ram | 4x EVGA GTX 980 Ti | Win10 Professional x64 | Watercooled
sikotik13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DrHemulen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:01 pm

DrHemulen Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:01 pm
I also wanted to do it wihout post effects, I did a lot of test with two semi-transparant lights inside each other (using the PMC kernel). I never really got far with it. My image is a few pages back, and it just looks like she's using a dumb neon light :(

Now that I'm thinking about it again, how about using a long tube as light source, and a slightly larger one around it as a scattering/fog material?
GTX 780, 6 gigs of VRAM - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits
DrHemulen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sikotik13 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:01 pm

sikotik13 Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:01 pm
You could try it, though I'm unsure it would give the effect you want. The basic problem is that PMC or any other unbiased kernel is limited by reality, and lightsabers are a physical impossibility. I personally find that the Direct Lighting kernel looks comparable to LuxRender's unbiased, but allows the freedom to play with things that aren't quite as realistic much easier. Plus, it's generally faster. I suppose that technically, one could try compositing with render passes, with the saber and it's effects in Direct lighting, and the rest in whichever kernel you prefer, since that option is now available, and would be similar to how the effect was achieved in the movies in the first place, but that would likely involve some very tricky placement or compensation issues. I tried making a saber in Lux for about 6 months before I ended up finding out about Octane, and never got even close. I can't recall seeing any other engine produce a saber without post-work, so I'm willing to compromise unbiased for actually having a freakin' lightsaber (yes, I am that excited about them, I don't care how nerdy I sound)! Honestly, I was amazed at how relatively simple it was to achieve, I genuinely figured it would come out mediocre, but fixable. Looking at it when I posted it on DeviantArt, and browsing through similar pieces, I'd put the results up against pretty much any I found with heavy post-work, which honestly blew my mind, given that unless one was very familiar with doing such post-work, it would likely take a good deal of time and effort, my time for set up was about 2 minutes, and just waiting on the render to finish for effort. Not a bad trade-off, I think.
sikotik13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hubby72 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:09 am

Hubby72 Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:09 am
How doyou define "heavy postwork" ?
Do you mean using photoshop or gimp or is heavy for you just to use the bloom effect in the plugin ?

As i tried around with lightsabers i had one - think i got someday on rendorosity - and whats pretty is that is has 3 Rays.
So i mean it is like 3 cubes stacked. I i just give the emission which should define the basic colout to the inner one and another colour which shuold define more the "glow" for the mddle on. The outer Cubes i set almost opacity to very low.
And i use the bloom effect from the plugins posteffects to enhanced this glow.
There is some other postwork in this pictures but nothing else concerning the lightsabers. Just some colourteint.
Attachments
DarthKoyo.jpg
Win 10 x64 | Zotac Geforce GTX780 6GB, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 | Intel Core i7 3770 | 32GB Corsair DDR3-1600 | PNY 480 GB SSD |
My Blog : http://www.subwaytotatooine.de/
My DA : http://hubby72.deviantart.com/
Hubby72
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sikotik13 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:07 pm

sikotik13 Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:07 pm
I thought I specified, but I was referring to post work as anything outside the render engine. My settings above include the bloom effect. It is good to know playing with multiple layers can give more dramatic effects, as I said, I basically stumbled upon settings that worked for a single layer blade. The multi-layers would likely be very beneficial for brighter scenes in particular, as it definitely seems to give a more dramatic effect to the bloom. Outstanding :)
sikotik13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio