OcDS FIRST RENDERS - FIRST PRIDE :) post here...

Forums: OcDS FIRST RENDERS - FIRST PRIDE :) post here...
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OcDS FIRST RENDERS - FIRST PRIDE :) post here...

Postby DrHemulen » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:14 pm

DrHemulen Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:14 pm
We need a light saber thread :-)
GTX 780, 6 gigs of VRAM - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits
DrHemulen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kraken » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:01 am

kraken Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:01 am
Trying to create my own cloths using a voronoi algorithm inside grasshopper and rhino. I noticed there are a lot of mesh texture showing through, I've tried a lot of different things to smooth out the polys. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get Daz to work with low poly count?

model2.jpg
Attachments
model3.jpg
Win 7 64bit Ultimate SP1
Blender 2.78
4x GTX980 Ti
NVidia Driver 373.06
Octane Server 3.03.4 v.11.2
Octane SA 3.03.4
Dual Xeon E5-2686
64 GB Ram
1TB SSD
AsRock EP2C612 WS
kraken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sikotik13 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:46 am

sikotik13 Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:46 am
I presume you already tried using Daz Studio's built in subdivision, and can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
| Intel i7-5960x @ 3.8 GHz| ASUS X99-E WS | 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 2400 Ram | 4x EVGA GTX 980 Ti | Win10 Professional x64 | Watercooled
sikotik13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby larsmidnatt » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:23 pm

larsmidnatt Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:23 pm
I work with low poly meshes in hexagon and just sub-d them in daz studio. Depending on if you have enough geometry in the right places it tends to work fine. Also there are 3 or 4 different smoothing options for sub-d and switching between them can help keep the shape the way you want.
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kraken » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:19 pm

kraken Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:19 pm
I wasn't getting anywhere with the Daz built-in utility, but the Hexagon "Smooth" and "Decimate" utilities got down to business.
The only problem with Hexagon is the "Send to Daz" button causes a crash and exporting as .obj shrinks it down to 3 cm tall (even after setting the scaling options).
Nonetheless, I'm making headway and will play around with the setting until I get a better grasp on it. Thanks for the suggestions. Saved me a couple of days of aggravation.

test_red_outfit.jpg
Hexagon - Smooth, then Decimate (twice)
Win 7 64bit Ultimate SP1
Blender 2.78
4x GTX980 Ti
NVidia Driver 373.06
Octane SA 3.03.4
Dual Xeon E5-2686
64 GB Ram
1TB SSD
AsRock EP2C612 WS
kraken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby larsmidnatt » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:37 pm

larsmidnatt Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:37 pm
kraken wrote:I wasn't getting anywhere with the Daz built-in utility, but the Hexagon "Smooth" and "Decimate" utilities got down to business.
The only problem with Hexagon is the "Send to Daz" button causes a crash and exporting as .obj shrinks it down to 3 cm tall (even after setting the scaling options).
Nonetheless, I'm making headway and will play around with the setting until I get a better grasp on it. Thanks for the suggestions. Saved me a couple of days of aggravation.

test_red_outfit.jpg

hmm not sure why Sub-d didn't work, did you try the different smoothing modes? Also how many polys is the mesh? Relooking at the mesh, it seems like it may actually have suitable geometry density, but the smoothing settings in the base program could play a role.

I never had a problem with sending items back to daz studio either...I'm guessing there is something with your mesh that is causing issues. I use the daz/hexagon pairing daily and never have issues sending between the two programs.

I certainly see improvement with your recent output but I still see the hard edges, so I think how the model is crafted is what is causing the results. Often enough turning an edge here and there improves how smooth the model looks.
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kraken » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:50 am

kraken Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:50 am
I use the daz/hexagon pairing daily and never have issues sending between the two programs.

Maybe its a system issue. Its crashes, all versions, within 10 minutes of launching Hexagon. Granted, I don't have a clue how it works, mostly because it crashes before learning anything. I've avoided it like the black plague ever since installing it.

WHat I noticed is that exporting the genesis model has "x" amount of polys in the .obj file. Re opening it in Daz and its clearly not smooth. Definitely a problem with the way I'm handling these geometries. I hate sounding like whiney school girl, but the manuals for Daz really suck.

I appreciate any help you can offer as it was probably learned through trial by fire.

Cheers,
JS
Win 7 64bit Ultimate SP1
Blender 2.78
4x GTX980 Ti
NVidia Driver 373.06
Octane SA 3.03.4
Dual Xeon E5-2686
64 GB Ram
1TB SSD
AsRock EP2C612 WS
kraken
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby larsmidnatt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:15 am

larsmidnatt Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:15 am
kraken wrote:the manuals for Daz really suck.

Yes the daz manuals or lack thereof are a common complaint in the community so I don't think you are unjustified in saying that.

I forgot for a minute that Hexagon used to crash on me within a few clicks of opening it up as well. So I hated it. But some ppl including vendors in the Daz community swear by it and claimed to be able to use it for hours straight. So on the daz hexagon subforum I picked up a few tips for settings to change for hexagon that make it more stable. I would suggest heading over there if you are interesting in seeing if you can getting operational.

But for the smoothing issue, maybe you can make sure the smoothing groups in the host 3d application are set up correctly? It could just be surface smoothing setting that is part of the issue. It's really hard to tell with so many variables at play.
Win10 x64
i9 10900k 64GB
2080S 8GB
DS 4.15 OcDS Prime ^_^
larsmidnatt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DrHemulen » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:02 am

DrHemulen Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:02 am
I'm not sure decimating is a good idea. Decimation reduces the polycount by optimizing the polygon layout to your specifik geometry. This means that it's not going to be optimal for conforming to other poses. Decimation also converts the mesh to triangles, which are not optimal for subdivision operations. For subdivision you want quads, as in the original DAZ model).

I don't think smoothing groups are carryed over to DAZ as something to do with smoothing, maybe as materials groups.

You need to be aware of your subdivision level when you export. A DAZ character at base resoultion should give you a model with around 20.000 faces. It's only because DAZ subdivides this model that it actually looks smooth in the viewport and renderer, so if you reimport that model, it won't look smooth. You need to apply the smooth modifier in DAZ and go to subdivision level 1.

And yeah hexagon also drives me crazy. If you stay away from the sculpting tools it seems semi-stable though. I use Blender instead.

Edit: Also the "smooth" property of the Octane shaders isn't always on by default in 2.1! Maybe that's all that's wrong in your original post.
GTX 780, 6 gigs of VRAM - Win 7 Home Premium 64 bits
DrHemulen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sikotik13 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:08 am

sikotik13 Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:08 am
One of the most common fixes (on 64 bit OSes, anyway), is to use the utility I cannot recall the name of, that modifies the 3 GB Ram limit of 32 bit programs. For many programs, it can be unstable, for Hexagon, it makes it function for me (on Windows 7 64 bit). I know the info is in the Daz forums somewhere for it, likely near the top of the list in most lists of fixes. If it's crashing shortly after opening, that may be part of your issue. I've noticed that it has a tendency to try to eat RAM for a while, then eventually settles down. Its myriad issues are likely why zBrush was embraced by many users and vendors, though a lot of them do still swear by Hexagon. Personal preference, I suppose.
| Intel i7-5960x @ 3.8 GHz| ASUS X99-E WS | 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 2400 Ram | 4x EVGA GTX 980 Ti | Win10 Professional x64 | Watercooled
sikotik13
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio