OcDS FIRST RENDERS - FIRST PRIDE :) post here...

Forums: OcDS FIRST RENDERS - FIRST PRIDE :) post here...
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OcDS FIRST RENDERS - FIRST PRIDE :) post here...

Postby Banti » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:34 am

Banti Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:34 am
Looks very nice. I really like the teeth and sclera shader. All of them Random Walk / Specular materials I guess? Also what depth settings do you use in you renders settings?
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:44 pm

Sorel Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:44 pm
Banti wrote:Looks very nice. I really like the teeth and sclera shader. All of them Random Walk / Specular materials I guess? Also what depth settings do you use in you renders settings?

Yup, it's all random walk with specular transmission. As for depth settings, I assume you are talking about the diffuse/specular/scattering depth? I keep those at default.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Banti » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:52 pm

Banti Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:52 pm
Sorel wrote:
Banti wrote:Looks very nice. I really like the teeth and sclera shader. All of them Random Walk / Specular materials I guess? Also what depth settings do you use in you renders settings?

Yup, it's all random walk with specular transmission. As for depth settings, I assume you are talking about the diffuse/specular/scattering depth? I keep those at default.

Yeah I was talking about the diffuse/scattering depth. I usually use diffuse depth of 16 because at 8 the skin can be rather dark in some scenes. Especially interior scenes where I cannot light with HDRIs
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:28 pm

Sorel Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:28 pm
Banti wrote:Yeah I was talking about the diffuse/scattering depth. I usually use diffuse depth of 16 because at 8 the skin can be rather dark in some scenes. Especially interior scenes where I cannot light with HDRIs

Ohh I'll have to take a look into that.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Banti » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:44 pm

Banti Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:44 pm
Sorel wrote:
Banti wrote:Yeah I was talking about the diffuse/scattering depth. I usually use diffuse depth of 16 because at 8 the skin can be rather dark in some scenes. Especially interior scenes where I cannot light with HDRIs

Ohh I'll have to take a look into that.

In my experience, a diffuse depth of 16 is the maximum at which the brightness will increase. Anything more than that is pretty much useless and just increases render time for no reason.
When you light your scene with only an HDRI its usually not necessary to go above a depth of 8 as there is more than enough light coming from everywhere. Also, when you increase the diffuse depth,
you will find that sometimes parts of your skin will look too bright or too saturated, you probably need to adjust them via color correction node.

I am currently working on a "non random walk" skin shader because Octane has so many problems when working with Random Walk, and especially in specular material, that I am willing to take a cut
at the realism to spare me the hassle.
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:56 pm

Sorel Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:56 pm
Banti wrote:I am currently working on a "non random walk" skin shader because Octane has so many problems when working with Random Walk, and especially in specular material, that I am willing to take a cut

I'm curious, what problems have you been experiencing? I wonder if I've been oblivious to some of them lol.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Banti » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:14 pm

Banti Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:14 pm
Sorel wrote:
Banti wrote:I am currently working on a "non random walk" skin shader because Octane has so many problems when working with Random Walk, and especially in specular material, that I am willing to take a cut

I'm curious, what problems have you been experiencing? I wonder if I've been oblivious to some of them lol.

Well the most obvious one for me is the facetting issue. Having your model at anything below subdivision level 3 will make the facetting visible on your character.
But having multiple models with subD-level 3+ will make your viewport incredibly laggy.

The "fake shadow" option (which is necessary in pretty much all cases) uses some sort of bias in its calculation which can cause your material to turn extremely dark when using many light sources. This is especially visible when those light sources have an opacity of 0 (basically when you hide them). You can test this by having a light plane in your scene that does NOT directly light your character (basically turn the light away from it) and then turn up this light to a very high brightness. Your model will turn completely dark at some point.

And then there is the fact that this kind of material takes about 3 times as long to render when compared to simple diffuse shaders.
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:19 pm

Sorel Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:19 pm
Banti wrote:Well the most obvious one for me is the facetting issue. Having your model at anything below subdivision level 3 will make the facetting visible on your character.
But having multiple models with subD-level 3+ will make your viewport incredibly laggy.

The "fake shadow" option (which is necessary in pretty much all cases) uses some sort of bias in its calculation which can cause your material to turn extremely dark when using many light sources. This is especially visible when those light sources have an opacity of 0 (basically when you hide them). You can test this by having a light plane in your scene that does NOT directly light your character (basically turn the light away from it) and then turn up this light to a very high brightness. Your model will turn completely dark at some point.

And then there is the fact that this kind of material takes about 3 times as long to render when compared to simple diffuse shaders.

Ah yes, the faceting. I wonder if that's something otoy will ever resolve. I was unaware of the fake shadows thing. I've also tried diffuse shaders but I could never get over them not looking right to me. I suppose I could give it another go eventually. Do you have any tests of what you're working on?
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Banti » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:42 pm

Banti Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:42 pm
Sorel wrote:Ah yes, the faceting. I wonder if that's something otoy will ever resolve. I was unaware of the fake shadows thing. I've also tried diffuse shaders but I could never get over them not looking right to me. I suppose I could give it another go eventually. Do you have any tests of what you're working on?

Well I wouldnt hold my breath for a fix to be honest...
Most of my skin test renders are nude body shots and I am not sure about the nsfw policy on this forum.
But I guess I can link it without posting the image
https://imgur.com/a/x6UEPUE

If this is against forum rules I will dm you the link again
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sorel » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:54 pm

Sorel Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:54 pm
Banti wrote:
Sorel wrote:Ah yes, the faceting. I wonder if that's something otoy will ever resolve. I was unaware of the fake shadows thing. I've also tried diffuse shaders but I could never get over them not looking right to me. I suppose I could give it another go eventually. Do you have any tests of what you're working on?

Well I wouldnt hold my breath for a fix to be honest...
Most of my skin test renders are nude body shots and I am not sure about the nsfw policy on this forum.
But I guess I can link it without posting the image
https://imgur.com/a/x6UEPUE

If this is against forum rules I will dm you the link again

Hey that actually looks pretty good! Nice job.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio