DAZ Studio Layered Image Editor Support Question

Forums: DAZ Studio Layered Image Editor Support Question
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

DAZ Studio Layered Image Editor Support Question

Postby SimonWM » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 pm

SimonWM Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 pm
First congratulations to T3 for what looks more like a work of art than software. Been lurking unable to post in the forum until today when I bought my Octane DAZ Studio license. Is LIE supported by the DAZ integrated plugin. As a developer of LIE presets for DAZ I'm extremely interested for support for it. I also can't find specular and normal/displacement but I guess I need to spend some time with the manual.
32 GB of RAM, Sabertooth x79,Intel Crest 180 GB SSD system drive, WD Caviar Black 1TB, i7 3930K CPU,
CoolerMaster Haf 912, CPU Cooler Master Evo fan, Windows 7 Pro SP2, Corsair AX1200 PSU, EVGA GTX 580 3GB Classified Ultra, EVGA GTX 580 3GB Classified
SimonWM
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: DAZ Studio Layered Image Editor Support Question

Postby t_3 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:22 pm

t_3 Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:22 pm
SimonWM wrote:First congratulations to T3 for what looks more like a work of art than software. Been lurking unable to post in the forum until today when I bought my Octane DAZ Studio license. Is LIE supported by the DAZ integrated plugin. As a developer of LIE presets for DAZ I'm extremely interested for support for it. I also can't find specular and normal/displacement but I guess I need to spend some time with the manual.
hi & thanks :)

as you will soon find out ;) the plugin manual currently ends right before answering such burning questions. for general advice in working with the octane material system i suggest reading the standalone manual, where all those things are described. node system and parameters are the same here and there, just the node layout looks different.

displacement is currently not supported by octane. a normal channel is valid for every of the base mats (diffuse, glossy, specular), but it is to note, that bump and normal can not be used together - if a normal map is in place, an also applied bump map is no longer used.

about LIE: it is not supported in particular, and i had not much time to test it; afaik daz studio composes the LIE output into a cached texture map, thus it can be recognized by the plugin also. how that will work with loading & saving is unclear. i will look into this as soon things have settled a bit...
The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply

1x i7 2600K @5.0 (Asrock Z77), 16GB, 2x Asus GTX Titan 6GB @1200/3100/6200
2x i7 2600K @4.5 (P8Z68 -V P), 12GB, 1x EVGA GTX 580 3GB @0900/2200/4400
t_3

Postby SimonWM » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm

SimonWM Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm
t_3 wrote:
about LIE: it is not supported in particular, and i had not much time to test it; afaik daz studio composes the LIE output into a cached texture map, thus it can be recognized by the plugin also. how that will work with loading & saving is unclear. i will look into this as soon things have settled a bit...

Thank you, T3. I'd like to offer any of my products you may need for testing in order to help the support of LIE in DAZ Octane.

http://www.daz3d.com/wet-body
http://www.daz3d.com/lie-wound-makeup-artist
http://www.daz3d.com/tattoo-parlor-michael-5-vol-1
32 GB of RAM, Sabertooth x79,Intel Crest 180 GB SSD system drive, WD Caviar Black 1TB, i7 3930K CPU,
CoolerMaster Haf 912, CPU Cooler Master Evo fan, Windows 7 Pro SP2, Corsair AX1200 PSU, EVGA GTX 580 3GB Classified Ultra, EVGA GTX 580 3GB Classified
SimonWM
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby t_3 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am

t_3 Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am
SimonWM wrote:
t_3 wrote:

Thank you, T3. I'd like to offer any of my products you may need for testing in order to help the support of LIE in DAZ Octane.

thanks for the offer - i will definitely get back to you, as soon i start working on this; and if you have some helpful hints regarding the LIE, these are also very welcome...

t_3

Postby Isotemod » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Isotemod Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:02 pm
LIE works reasonably well at the moment with as far as I have been able to tell only 1 issue.

When loading saved scenes LIE textures are created as and when needed and are temporary, I think Octane assigns textures that havnt been created by Daz studio yet so the LIE texture fails.

Temporary work arounds are

1. Manually reselect the texture in the octane material (fine if you only have a few to reassign)

2. Locate the .tif images created by LIE and copy them to a safe place and point octane materials to these permanent versions.

My guess an automated version of option 2 will end up being the best way.

Option 2 can be semi automated by us by using the texture atlas and has other advantages of combining textures and reducing texture size too.
Isotemod
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SimonWM » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 pm

SimonWM Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:42 pm
t_3 wrote:
SimonWM wrote:
t_3 wrote:

thanks for the offer - i will definitely get back to you, as soon i start working on this; and if you have some helpful hints regarding the LIE, these are also very welcome...

Thank you T_3, I'm so excited about this Octane renderer of yours. As you start the implementation you will for sure receive feedback from me.

Not for now but just suggesting an advanced feature for the future, I don't know if it will ever be possible to implement something like layer animation using LIE and Octane for things like rolling water like the Lipton Iced Tea Brisk commercials ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za0gs00w ... EA6A7AD459 ) but that has always been a wishlist of mine. There used to be a texture animation plugin by Dreamlight but that stopped working since Studio was upgraded to version 4 and Dreamlight has never updated.
SimonWM
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby t_3 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:58 pm

t_3 Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:58 pm
SimonWM wrote:Not for now but just suggesting an advanced feature for the future, I don't know if it will ever be possible to implement something like layer animation using LIE and Octane for things like rolling water like the Lipton Iced Tea Brisk commercials ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za0gs00w ... EA6A7AD459 ) but that has always been a wishlist of mine. There used to be a texture animation plugin by Dreamlight but that stopped working since Studio was upgraded to version 4 and Dreamlight has never updated.

basically this is already possible with the plugin - to some extent. the image nodes (image/floatimage/alphaimage) will use image sequences in the format
SomeNameXXXX.ext
SomeNameXXXXX.ext
where SomeName can be any characters, and there need to be 4 or 5 digits right in front of the file extension.
the images will be loaded in sync to the animation. currently there is no switch, repetition, offset, so you would need to first create image sequences already in sync to the animation.
layering of texture maps could be done by using mix texture nodes. so it's a bit of tinkering to apply, but there are already fun things possible with this (like using them for opacity, and specular in addition to the usual diffuse)...

t_3

Postby SimonWM » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:11 pm

SimonWM Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:11 pm
t_3 wrote:
SimonWM wrote:Not for now but just suggesting an advanced feature for the future, I don't know if it will ever be possible to implement something like layer animation using LIE and Octane for things like rolling water like the Lipton Iced Tea Brisk commercials ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za0gs00w ... EA6A7AD459 ) but that has always been a wishlist of mine. There used to be a texture animation plugin by Dreamlight but that stopped working since Studio was upgraded to version 4 and Dreamlight has never updated.

basically this is already possible with the plugin - to some extent. the image nodes (image/floatimage/alphaimage) will use image sequences in the format
SomeNameXXXX.ext
SomeNameXXXXX.ext
where SomeName can be any characters, and there need to be 4 or 5 digits right in front of the file extension.
the images will be loaded in sync to the animation. currently there is no switch, repetition, offset, so you would need to first create image sequences already in sync to the animation.
layering of texture maps could be done by using mix texture nodes. so it's a bit of tinkering to apply, but there are already fun things possible with this (like using them for opacity, and specular in addition to the usual diffuse)...

This is good news. I have thought often of how I would like it to work so it would be easy to visualize and I've thought it would be great if we could define a spline as a path for the layer on top of the UV Map in the Layered Image Editor or the equivalent in Octane. Then we could tell the software to move the layer down the spline from point A to point B thrugout certain amount of frames.

The images above are from my product Wet Body promos.
SimonWM
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby t_3 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 pm

t_3 Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 pm
SimonWM wrote:This is good news. I have thought often of how I would like it to work so it would be easy to visualize and I've thought it would be great if we could define a spline as a path for the layer on top of the UV Map in the Layered Image Editor or the equivalent in Octane. Then we could tell the software to move the layer down the spline from point A to point B thrugout certain amount of frames.
this is a good idea. will need to wait for octane supporting map offsets though (currently not possible); doing it by recalculating uv coordinates would get a bit long in the tooth, at least on programmers side ;)

t_3

Return to DAZ Studio