Update on DAZStudio plugin development

Forums: Update on DAZStudio plugin development
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Update on DAZStudio plugin development

Postby MyRho » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:36 am

MyRho Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:36 am
...I didn't find any support for strand based hair after installing the last version of the plugin.
Intel Core i7 3960X, X79A-GD65 (8D) (MS-7760), 32 GB DDR3-SDRAM G.Skill,
Asus GeForce GTX 3060 12GB, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit.

Nihil sum sine sole.
MyRho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby huakiami » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:59 pm

huakiami Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:59 pm
MyRho wrote:...I didn't find any support for strand based hair after installing the last version of the plugin.

Maybe you can provide more information so we can actually assist...

At a high level you have two options for rendering DAZ strand-based hair in Octane -

1) Set Viewport Line Tesselation on the hair to a value of 2 or higher. You should also see the hair in the DAZ OpenGL viewport if you do this, and it should sync to the Octane viewport.

2) Use the "Final Render" button in Octane with the Render Line Tesselation at a value of 2 or higher. The hair will NOT show up in the DAZ OpenGL viewport in this case, but it should sync to Octane since Final Render enables the use of the render subdivision / tesselation levels.

Each method has caveats - with #1 you have to deal with the potential performance implications of the hair displaying in the DAZ viewport, while #2 you lose the freedom of tweaking the render settings, camera, etc. - you are stuck in the "Final Render" unless you manually stop it.

If you aren't seeing anything in Octane with either method, check the Octane logs for memory errors. It's easy to run out of memory with strand-based hairs, especially if you do something crazy like set the tesselation amount to 4 or 5 - realistically you should never need more than 3 - beware of vendors that add presets for higher values...
huakiami
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MyRho » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:15 pm

MyRho Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:15 pm
Thank you - but sorry - this is no proper rendered strand based hair.
I've tried that "workaround" on tow different hairs for G8/G81 I've gought and on the storybook mouse also.
But although I've played around with the tesselation it doesn't look like hair or fur at all.
Also not when I start a final render...

So I must admit I'm very disappointed.
Intel Core i7 3960X, X79A-GD65 (8D) (MS-7760), 32 GB DDR3-SDRAM G.Skill,
Asus GeForce GTX 3060 12GB, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit.

Nihil sum sine sole.
MyRho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:25 pm

toby_a Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:25 pm
MyRho wrote:Thank you - but sorry - this is no proper rendered strand based hair.
I've tried that "workaround" on tow different hairs for G8/G81 I've gought and on the storybook mouse also.
But although I've played around with the tesselation it doesn't look like hair or fur at all.
Also not when I start a final render...

So I must admit I'm very disappointed.

Hi. Are you seeing different/worse results with Octane than with Iray for the same hair? The material properties aren't automatically converted, so there will need to be some manual tweaking to get really good results, but the hair geometry should be identical in Octane as it is in Iray. Can you post screenshots demonstrating what you're unhappy with in the Octane render results?

If you do have more information to post, please consider starting a new topic or replying to a more recent topic (such as the release announcement for the version you're using).

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gaazsi » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:39 pm

gaazsi Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:39 pm
i hope this hasnt been mentioned yet

i use a renderslave and ooc memory but there seems to be a problem with textures bigger than 4k, stumbled upon that today.
accidently used ONE 8K texture (rgb, jpeg, nothing special) and renderslave always "ran out of memory" and shut down after a while... in real still 20GB have been free on the slave
i cut that one texture in half to size 4096 as all the others (through textures tab) and everything is running smooth again

best regards
gaazsi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:12 am

toby_a Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:12 am
gaazsi wrote:i hope this hasnt been mentioned yet

i use a renderslave and ooc memory but there seems to be a problem with textures bigger than 4k, stumbled upon that today.
accidently used ONE 8K texture (rgb, jpeg, nothing special) and renderslave always "ran out of memory" and shut down after a while... in real still 20GB have been free on the slave
i cut that one texture in half to size 4096 as all the others (through textures tab) and everything is running smooth again

best regards

Hi. I'm not very familiar with the network rendering feature, but I don't think it's likely that this issue is specific to the Daz plugin. Have you tried exporting the scene to an orbx file and rendering from OctaneRender Standalone? Check that the render node is configured to use OOC - this is a separate configuration to the setting in Daz Studio on the primary machine. I just tried it now and when I run _install_daemon.bat to set up the render node it asks some questions, including whether to use OOC and how much RAM to use. When I run the daemon, it shows a window like this:

daemon-ooc.png

So, please check that your daemon is configured with OOC enabled.

Cheers,
Toby.

PS. Please consider creating a new topic for specific questions.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gaazsi » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:15 pm

gaazsi Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:15 pm
i use network rendering since it was introduced, settings are fine :D

not really important to me as i never use 8k textures anyway but maybe others do, just wanted to let you guys know :)
gaazsi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:04 am

toby_a Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:04 am
gaazsi wrote:i use network rendering since it was introduced, settings are fine :D

not really important to me as i never use 8k textures anyway but maybe others do, just wanted to let you guys know :)

OK, thank you for the report. We'll see if we can reproduce the issue.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby toby_a » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:37 pm

toby_a Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:37 pm
toby_a wrote:
gaazsi wrote:i use network rendering since it was introduced, settings are fine :D

OK, thank you for the report. We'll see if we can reproduce the issue.

We have not been able to reproduce this problem internally. To investigate further we require an orbx that causes it. If you see the problem again (or feel like recreating it) please export the entire scene as orbx and either DM me or make a new post in the General Support forum.

Thanks,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby sudisk » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:12 pm

sudisk Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:12 pm
Hi!

I was wondering, with Toby's departure, how long is it going to take to have someone take over his excellent work on the DAZ Studio plugin ?

I am sure that I'm talking for a lot of us when I say that considering the amount of evolution on the plugin over the period he was here, he will be missed.

I wish the best to the team to keep this plugin alive.
sudisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio