OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 72 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 72 [OBSOLETE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 72 [Test]

Postby huakiami » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:26 am

huakiami Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:26 am
toby_a wrote:
sudisk wrote:Also, if you could add a node name selector for the templating system, based on the DAZ current surface, that would be great. Some hair makers like OutOfTouch have a repetitive shading system for their hair, that could be easily put into a template if we could access the current surface node names.

Sorry for being a bit slow, but I don't understand what you're asking for here! What is a "node name" in this context? And how would you use it in an Octane material?

I believe what's being asked for here is to make the dropdowns for selecting the image sources in the template system dynamic, populated with values based on the linked Daz material for whichever parameters have images mapped. For example you added the majority of the image mappable parameters from the Iray Uber Shader, but vendors/users sometimes create their own shaders and name the shader parameters an arbitrary value of their choosing. These will in theory never be template-able with the current system since it's a hard-coded list.

Edit: I realize there are likely complications around this - what if multiple Daz materials are linked to a single Octane material and each have different shaders, how is the list populated if no Daz material is linked, etc. But it would be useful if there were some solution to this.
huakiami
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sudisk » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:41 pm

sudisk Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:41 pm
toby_a wrote:
sudisk wrote:Hello, I noticed a weird behavior starting maybe on release 70, I'm not actually certain.

When the color selector is open, the cpu usage starts to jump. In these days of high heat, with some cooling issue, this may be problematic.

Anyway if you could put that somewhere in in your backlog, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm, that is strange. Just to make sure I'm looking in the right place, can you please post a screenshot of the color selector that causes this issue?

You just need to click on any RGB Color to show the color selector in the NGE or the Material tab.
I have an i9 12900k, so there is no way that a pop-up window would normally put a core at 42+ percent.

toby_a wrote:
sudisk wrote:On a more joyful note, thanks for the multiple layer support. I could progress greatly with my wet skin shader.

Also, if you could add a node name selector for the templating system, based on the DAZ current surface, that would be great. Some hair makers like OutOfTouch have a repetitive shading system for their hair, that could be easily put into a template if we could access the current surface node names.

Sorry for being a bit slow, but I don't understand what you're asking for here! What is a "node name" in this context? And how would you use it in an Octane material?

[/quote]

Well, I meant selecting the DAZ material element name in a combo box. You currently provide a fixed list of property names, but you can't anticipate all the properties that are potentially used with a map.
If you could list all the displayed DAZ properties that can take an image, and put it in an additional section in your list, potentially multi-column like the texture selector, that would allow to create great templates.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Core over used in a color selector
sudisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:06 pm

toby_a Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:06 pm
sudisk wrote:You just need to click on any RGB Color to show the color selector in the NGE or the Material tab.
I have an i9 12900k, so there is no way that a pop-up window would normally put a core at 42+ percent.

Got it, thanks. It doesn't happen on my machine but I'll look into it.

sudisk wrote:
toby_a wrote:
sudisk wrote:Also, if you could add a node name selector for the templating system, based on the DAZ current surface, that would be great. Some hair makers like OutOfTouch have a repetitive shading system for their hair, that could be easily put into a template if we could access the current surface node names.

Well, I meant selecting the DAZ material element name in a combo box. You currently provide a fixed list of property names, but you can't anticipate all the properties that are potentially used with a map.
If you could list all the displayed DAZ properties that can take an image, and put it in an additional section in your list, potentially multi-column like the texture selector, that would allow to create great templates.

Thank you (and @huakiami), I get it now. That makes a lot of sense. I wonder how often people create template materials that aren't selecting from the properties of the DAZ material?
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby toby_a » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:15 pm

toby_a Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:15 pm
toby_a wrote:
sudisk wrote:You just need to click on any RGB Color to show the color selector in the NGE or the Material tab.

Got it, thanks. It doesn't happen on my machine but I'll look into it.

It actually does happen on my machine. Expect a fix in the next version.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby sudisk » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:32 pm

sudisk Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:32 pm
toby_a wrote:I wonder how often people create template materials that aren't selecting from the properties of the DAZ material?

When creating a template, I want it to be able to adapt to several surfaces from multiple assets. However I noticed that in DAZ, there are multiple options to obtain roughly the same result, particularly since they modified the Iray Uber base shader to be able to use PBR maps. For reflectivity/glossiness, you have a few nodes that reach roughly the same goal, so you may want to map several property names that don't beling to the same DAZ material.

By the way, there is an inconsistency with the "Replace all active maps" action witch only use the 4 base maps, without considering the template selected source maps.
sudisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Tugpsx » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:04 pm

Tugpsx Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:04 pm
Anyone else having interface problems in the material room?
The objects not showing in the list.

Octane Missing material room.PNG
Dell Win Vista 32 | NVIDIA Quadro NVS135M | Core2 Duo T7500 2.20GHz | 4GB
CyberPowerPC Win 7 64| NVIDIA GTX660Ti (3G) GTX480(1.5G) | 16GB
Tugpsx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sudisk » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:54 am

sudisk Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:54 am
Tugpsx wrote:Anyone else having interface problems in the material room?

It's unfortunately a known issue. You need to restart DAZ.
sudisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:56 pm

toby_a Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:56 pm
sudisk wrote:
toby_a wrote:I wonder how often people create template materials that aren't selecting from the properties of the DAZ material?

When creating a template, I want it to be able to adapt to several surfaces from multiple assets. However I noticed that in DAZ, there are multiple options to obtain roughly the same result, particularly since they modified the Iray Uber base shader to be able to use PBR maps. For reflectivity/glossiness, you have a few nodes that reach roughly the same goal, so you may want to map several property names that don't beling to the same DAZ material.

By the way, there is an inconsistency with the "Replace all active maps" action witch only use the 4 base maps, without considering the template selected source maps.

Thanks for this, it's very helpful. What I'm currently imagining is presenting a list of the properties of the current Daz material, then some other common property names (pretty much what we currently have), and then a free-from text entry to allow you to enter any other property name. Does that sound like it would be sufficient?

The "Replace maps" options are confusing to me. I'm not sure why there are the different options (normal maps, bump maps, diffuse maps, displacement maps, all maps). Until I understand them fully I'll probably leave them alone, but it does seem strange for "all maps" to actually mean "only some maps". I'll look into this in more detail and probably ask more questions about it on the forum.

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby sudisk » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:45 pm

sudisk Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:45 pm
toby_a wrote:What I'm currently imagining is presenting a list of the properties of the current Daz material, then some other common property names (pretty much what we currently have), and then a free-from text entry to allow you to enter any other property name. Does that sound like it would be sufficient?

That would be just wonderful, for a first version at least. I'm certain some users would like to be able to just click into the menu, but I'm perfectly fine with that idea myself.

toby_a wrote:The "Replace maps" options are confusing to me. I'm not sure why there are the different options (normal maps, bump maps, diffuse maps, displacement maps, all maps). Until I understand them fully I'll probably leave them alone, but it does seem strange for "all maps" to actually mean "only some maps". I'll look into this in more detail and probably ask more questions about it on the forum.

Actually, as for templates are concerned, the replace all maps is not very relevant, nor necessarily wanted.
What would be great would be a "refresh templates" option that would reapply the template parameters. This could be applied at the same places as the "Replace Maps" menu entries. It would just do nothing for non-template materials.

On a side note, could you explain what the "Fallback to source" entry does in the template? I've tried to use it as a 3rd option but it doesn't seem to be the case.
sudisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:36 pm

toby_a Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:36 pm
sudisk wrote:
toby_a wrote:What I'm currently imagining is presenting a list of the properties of the current Daz material, then some other common property names (pretty much what we currently have), and then a free-from text entry to allow you to enter any other property name. Does that sound like it would be sufficient?

That would be just wonderful, for a first version at least. I'm certain some users would like to be able to just click into the menu, but I'm perfectly fine with that idea myself.

toby_a wrote:The "Replace maps" options are confusing to me. I'm not sure why there are the different options (normal maps, bump maps, diffuse maps, displacement maps, all maps). Until I understand them fully I'll probably leave them alone, but it does seem strange for "all maps" to actually mean "only some maps". I'll look into this in more detail and probably ask more questions about it on the forum.

Actually, as for templates are concerned, the replace all maps is not very relevant, nor necessarily wanted.
What would be great would be a "refresh templates" option that would reapply the template parameters. This could be applied at the same places as the "Replace Maps" menu entries. It would just do nothing for non-template materials.

Yes, that makes sense.

In your opinion, is the difference between "template materials" and "non-template materials" useful? From my perspective, the only difference is that template materials allow you to choose which Daz material properties are used to find the texture maps whereas non-template materials use a hard-coded mapping, but quite possibly I'm missing something.

sudisk wrote:On a side note, could you explain what the "Fallback to source" entry does in the template? I've tried to use it as a 3rd option but it doesn't seem to be the case.

As far as I can tell, "Fallback to source" is just a third property to try if the first two weren't found. I can't see any special treatment of it.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio