OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 68 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 68 [OBSOLETE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 68 [OBSOLETE]

Postby toby_a » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:26 am

toby_a Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:26 am
This is the recommended thread for downloading, and posting any questions, suggestions or support queries for OctaneRender for DAZ Studio - TEST (ie. pre-release) and STABLE releases.

SOLUTIONS TO COMMON ISSUES

1) Make sure your NVIDIA drivers are up to date.

2) Make sure you are running the latest version of the OctaneRender for DAZStudio plugin.

3) If you experience a DAZStudio crash - deleting C:\Users\[username]\OctaneRender\Data\OctaneRender_settings.oczdb may resolve the issue.
This also resolves the "COULD NOT INITIALISE IN-MEMORY DB!" error on startup and a number of other issues.

4) If the Save button is disabled when using the Final button - disable the Final button and in Render settings select the SuperScope (2:1) Size / aspect ratio and drag the Viewport height or width until you reach required resolution.

5) If rendering an animation fails after 11 frames - make sure the DAZStudio viewport is visible when you render the animation.

6) If Octane materials are not loading when you load a previously saved scene - tick Preferences->Load OctaneRender materials from .duf user presets. If ticking this option does not stick between DAZStudio restarts, delete OctaneRender_settings.oczdb as per NOTE 3 above.

7) If you get a "Could not save a frame for X times!" - please refer to the thread at [url]
[/url] for potential solutions.

8) If you get a "Bogus Scene Path" error - this is due to having an apostrophe in the filepath of a texturemap (so store your textures in foldernames which do not have apostrophes).

9) Octane panel title bar is off the screen and cannot be closed - click anywhere on the Octane panel and then press Alt-F4.

10) Rendering animation results in the scene emitter intensities changing - this is because rendering animations is done in "Final" mode, where meshes are merged. To resolve this, UNTICK the Preferences->Use Combined Mesh, or ENABLE the Surface Brightness pin on each of the emission materials in the scene.

11) Denoiser is not working - make sure you have a graphics card selected for Denoising in the System tab->Open Device Settings window, and that you are using the Path Tracing kernel.

12) Render artifacts near eyebrows - this is due to the eyebrow geometry going inside the head mesh surface. So morph, move or scale the eyebrows so they do not intersect with the head mesh.

13) Octane panes do not appear on the screen (ie. they open off the screen) - Main Menu Bar->Window->Workspace->Select Layout->Accept (you might choose a different layout to the current layout to make this work).

KNOWN ISSUES AWAITING RESOLUTION

1) Visible Environment, Custom LUT, Panoramic camera and OSL nodes are not currently supported.

2) Templating is not currently working for specular and roughness maps from Iray materials.

3) UDIM Tiles are not currently supported.

4) Some of the newer OctaneRender material and texture types are not supported.

DAZ Studio Version
DAZ Studio 4.8 or later on Window Vista, 7, 8 or 10 64bit

To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped.
Also, make sure you use an Nvidia Studio driver of version 451.xx or higher.

Network Rendering

For Network Rendering, you must use the OctaneRender Enterprise Node release from the Octane Standalone forums/download page which matches the exact Octane version of the plugin you are using. This version matches OctaneRender Enterprise 2021.1.5 Render Node builds.

Support Issues
If you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win 7, 8, 10, 11)
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- DAZ Studio version
- OctaneRender for DAZ Studio version (e.g. 2021.1.5_68)

- The most important part of resolving a problem is being able to reproduce that problem. So pls provide as much detail as possible in order for me to do this, and if the problem is specific to the scene, send me the scene.

Change logs since 2021.1.5 - 67 [Test]

• Added additional Iray Uber Base Shader channels for use in template materials
  • Fixed a case when the Save button could stay disabled in Final mode
  • Prevented unnecessary texture file name changes during animation
  • Fixed a case when a completed animation frame image could be overwritten with a partial re-render
  • Fixed a potential crash when cancelling animation
  • Fixed the color space used when saving multiple render passes

Download Links

please feel free to report if there are any side effects

Happy rendering
Your OTOY team
Last edited by toby_a on Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 68 [Test]

Postby RGUS » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:56 pm

RGUS Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:56 pm
Is it me or maybe my BitDefender virus protection detects "OctaneACM.exe" is infected... when installing.
WEB: http://rgus.deviantart.com/
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
RAM: 64GB
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 Pro
OCTANE PLUGIN VERSION: 2022.1..1.302 Prime
DAZ STUDIO VERSION: 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64 bit)
RGUS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:59 pm

toby_a Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:59 pm
RGUS wrote:Is it me or maybe my BitDefender virus protection detects "OctaneACM.exe" is infected... when installing.

Hi, and thank you for reporting! I haven't heard of any other reports of this problem so far. Were you able to install earlier versions without problems?

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby RGUS » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:14 pm

RGUS Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:14 pm
toby_a wrote:
RGUS wrote:Is it me or maybe my BitDefender virus protection detects "OctaneACM.exe" is infected... when installing.

Hi, and thank you for reporting! I haven't heard of any other reports of this problem so far. Were you able to install earlier versions without problems?

Cheers,
Toby.

Yes, all versions previous to this one installed without any detection of potential infection... must be just my BitDefender playing silly buggers with me.

All good in the hood.
A reboot and rescan and all went away... phew... a worry for a while there... carry on as normal.
WEB: http://rgus.deviantart.com/
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
RAM: 64GB
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11 Pro
OCTANE PLUGIN VERSION: 2022.1..1.302 Prime
DAZ STUDIO VERSION: 4.21.0.5 Pro Edition (64 bit)
RGUS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:10 am

toby_a Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:10 am
RGUS wrote:All good in the hood.
A reboot and rescan and all went away... phew... a worry for a while there... carry on as normal.

Great to hear, thanks for the update.

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby delguy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:08 am

delguy Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:08 am
toby_a wrote:

Cheers,
Toby.

Hi,

For me, it is always the case with Bitdefender. But that is a case with any exe file that is first blocked to verify. Maybe its the settings in Bitdefender.
delguy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SiliconAya » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:37 am

SiliconAya Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:37 am
Pressing the final render button appears to break a number of things:

Smoothing is broken, it looks the same as having smoothing turned off, full of poke through etc.
Object visibility is ignored. I have some mesh lights set to shadow and camera visibility off, they become visible in the render when pressing the final button.
Keep instance power under black body emission is ignored. I have it set to on so I can control harshness of shadows for my mesh lights by changing their size, but in final render mode all my lighting is blown out and looks the same as setting it to off.
Post processing appears to turn off.

Version 67 had the smoothing issue (noticed it yesterday in my last render before upgrading to 68).
But the other issues are new after upgrading to version 68.

Anyone else seeing any of these?
SiliconAya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby huakiami » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:18 pm

huakiami Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:18 pm
Just did a bit of testing with the final render setting myself.

SiliconAya wrote:Post processing appears to turn off.

Can confirm I'm also seeing this. Final render seems to disable post processing.

SiliconAya wrote:Object visibility is ignored. I have some mesh lights set to shadow and camera visibility off, they become visible in the render when pressing the final button.
Keep instance power under black body emission is ignored. I have it set to on so I can control harshness of shadows for my mesh lights by changing their size, but in final render mode all my lighting is blown out and looks the same as setting it to off.

Both of these are the result of having "Use combined mesh (faster rendering)" checked in the Octane preferences. Uncheck that and your mesh lights should behave as expected (both intensity and visibility).

SiliconAya wrote:Smoothing is broken, it looks the same as having smoothing turned off, full of poke through etc.

I'm not seeing this. I am seeing slightly different smoothing results in the final render when "Use render subdivision level (slower, better quality)" is checked and the objects being smoothed have different values for View SubD Level vs. Render SubD Level, which makes sense since this will mean the geometry is different in the final render. But smoothing does not look turned off to me, it is still applying. Try unchecking that option, or raising your View SubD so you can see exactly how the smoothing is going to look in the final render and make sure you have enough iterations.
huakiami
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:37 pm

toby_a Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:37 pm
SiliconAya wrote:Pressing the final render button appears to break a number of things:

Hi, and thank you for reporting these issues!

SiliconAya wrote:Object visibility is ignored.

I can confirm what @huakiami says about "Use combined mesh" disabling per-object settings (such as visibility) in final (and animation) renders. Unfortunately, the "Use combined mesh" setting is ignored for animation renders so you'll always see this problem there. I'm planning to phase out the combined mesh feature in the near future because it's an optimization that had a big benefit in older versions of OctaneRender but is now just extra complication and bugs for very little, if any, benefit. For now, please try disabling "Use combined mesh".

SiliconAya wrote:Smoothing is broken, it looks the same as having smoothing turned off, full of poke through etc.

Again, I concur with @huakiami that the change to use the render subdivision level for final renders is probably the cause of differences in smoothing. Please try their suggestion of setting the view and render subdivision level to the same value and report back whether that helps or not. You could also try changing the "Use render subdivision level" setting in the plugin preferences. That said, it's always possible that there is a problem with the way the plugin waits for the smoothing to complete. If the subdivision level changes don't explain the differences you're seeing, please try changing the "Interactive Update" setting in the Mesh Smoothing parameters to ON.

SiliconAya wrote:Post processing appears to turn off.

Yes, you're right, I see this also. It's strange because I don't think anything related to this has changed recently, but it's definitely broken. Part of the problem here is that the plugin turns off post-processing for final and animation renders until the render is completed, which introduces extra complexity and the opportunity for bugs like this. I'll try to get this sorted for the next version, which should be out later this week.

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby SiliconAya » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 am

SiliconAya Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 am
toby_a wrote:
SiliconAya wrote:Object visibility is ignored.

I can confirm what @huakiami says about "Use combined mesh" disabling per-object settings (such as visibility) in final (and animation) renders. Unfortunately, the "Use combined mesh" setting is ignored for animation renders so you'll always see this problem there. I'm planning to phase out the combined mesh feature in the near future because it's an optimization that had a big benefit in older versions of OctaneRender but is now just extra complication and bugs for very little, if any, benefit. For now, please try disabling "Use combined mesh".

Ah ok, makes senses, I'll turn it off. I haven't used the final button in years, I stopped using it at some point as there was no benefit. Now there's a reason(s) to use it. Although, not being able to tweak imager settings once you've pressed final is a pain, I've become used to tweaking the ones that don't restart the render whenever I want. Would that be something that could be allowed in the future?

toby_a wrote:

Again, I concur with @huakiami that the change to use the render subdivision level for final renders is probably the cause of differences in smoothing. Please try their suggestion of setting the view and render subdivision level to the same value and report back whether that helps or not. You could also try changing the "Use render subdivision level" setting in the plugin preferences. That said, it's always possible that there is a problem with the way the plugin waits for the smoothing to complete. If the subdivision level changes don't explain the differences you're seeing, please try changing the "Interactive Update" setting in the Mesh Smoothing parameters to ON.

When I said the same as when it's turned off, I meant exactly the same, they're identical for me. Also, the clothing I just tested it with today doesn't have SubD, not sure if the clothing from the previous render had SubD or not, but in this case view and render levels can't be different, because it's not using SubD. However, turning on "Interactive Update" does stop the issue from happening.
SiliconAya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to DAZ Studio