OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 67 [OBSOLETE]

Forums: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 67 [OBSOLETE]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2021.1.5 - 67 [Test]

Postby stepharamburu » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:34 pm

stepharamburu Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:34 pm
Hi, I downloaded this plugin version to run over Daz 4.20 Pro but I can't see it on "about installed plugins". Please, I would like to know if this Octane version works properly with Daz 4.20 Pro and if it is Yes, what I'm doing wrong because I got the plugin activated but Daz don't recognized it?. Thanks! Steph
stepharamburu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Kanne » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:19 pm

Kanne Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:19 pm
toby_a wrote:
Kanne wrote:
toby_a wrote:...

Not as strong as in his/her attachment. I rendered with pt, 2500 smaples, enabled denoise, denoiser-blend set to 0. In still images it looks correct with denoiser applied.
I haven't rendered animations since I reported this bug/issue a while ago: viewtopic.php?f=145&t=79010
After reading this version should be more stable I wanted to give it another go.

Thank you for this info. Are you able to provide a Daz scene that has this problem? Please PM me if you can, it would be a big help.

I'll try to create a sample scene this weekend or as soon as I find time. However, after a bit more messing around I figured out a rather simple, yet practical workaround. As image format I keep EXR Tonmapped and checked "Save all render passes". This exports beauty and denoised pass as expected.

The other mentioned bug haven't appeared yet / anymore. At least I it didn't happened in the few short tests I did. I'll leave a note in the mentioned thread too.

On another note. I'm glad otoy decided to give the plugin another shot and there is actually progress we see for the last few weeks.
But to be honest I'm a bit curious why the past 1,5 yrs, or at least most of the time in this period, were much slower in terms of progress. Would be interesting to know why it was that way and what were the reasons behind the decision to pick it up again.
Kanne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:55 am

toby_a Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:55 am
stepharamburu wrote:Hi, I downloaded this plugin version to run over Daz 4.20 Pro but I can't see it on "about installed plugins". Please, I would like to know if this Octane version works properly with Daz 4.20 Pro and if it is Yes, what I'm doing wrong because I got the plugin activated but Daz don't recognized it?. Thanks! Steph

Hi, Steph.

Daz Studio 4.20 Pro is definitely supported. When you run the installer, it asks you where to install - make sure that you have chosen the Daz installation that you're using. You could try uninstalling the plugin (using Windows Settings -> Apps & features) then installing it again.

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Kanne » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:56 pm

Kanne Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:56 pm
toby_a wrote:
Kanne wrote:
Not as strong as in his/her attachment. I rendered with pt, 2500 smaples, enabled denoise, denoiser-blend set to 0. In still images it looks correct with denoiser applied.
I haven't rendered animations since I reported this bug/issue a while ago: viewtopic.php?f=145&t=79010
After reading this version should be more stable I wanted to give it another go.

Thank you for this info. Are you able to provide a Daz scene that has this problem? Please PM me if you can, it would be a big help.

I did a few tests and it seems to be a memory issue. I tried to reproduce the behavior with simpler scenes which I could send you but couldn't manage to reproduce the issue.
I tried the scene where I encountered the issue and could reproduce it. Last time I probably didn't check the log but this time I did and saw log entries that said it couldn't denoise because there is not enough memory left. Anyway, the issue doesn't seem to happen if I check "Save all render passes".

However, I have yet another issue, which probably is linked to memory issues as well. I tried to make an alembic export of an animation and daz crashs to desktop with the following error:
DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\octane.dll" at 0033:000000000413438C, Octane::isGreyscalePass()+27715900 byte(s)

What can I do to debug this?
Kanne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:35 pm

toby_a Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:35 pm
Kanne wrote:I did a few tests and it seems to be a memory issue. I tried to reproduce the behavior with simpler scenes which I could send you but couldn't manage to reproduce the issue.
I tried the scene where I encountered the issue and could reproduce it. Last time I probably didn't check the log but this time I did and saw log entries that said it couldn't denoise because there is not enough memory left. Anyway, the issue doesn't seem to happen if I check "Save all render passes".

However, I have yet another issue, which probably is linked to memory issues as well. I tried to make an alembic export of an animation and daz crashs to desktop with the following error:
DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\octane.dll" at 0033:000000000413438C, Octane::isGreyscalePass()+27715900 byte(s)

What can I do to debug this?

Thanks for testing!

It seems like these issues go away once people start simplifying their scenes, so it's plausible that they're related to memory usage. Have you tried to disable the "Use render subdivision level" option in the Octane plugin preferences? It's possible that having that enabled would increase the memory usage. Also, if there is any strand-based or dForce hair visible in the scene that will possible increase the memory usage in build 67 as compared to build 65.

I will PM you about the alembic export crash - I have a test build and some instructions that should provide more information.

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Zay » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:36 am

Zay Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:36 am
Kanne wrote:What can I do to debug this?

You could use GPU-Z to monitor system ram and Vram. I have it always running and it's a big help to me.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/gpu-z/
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:29 am

toby_a Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:29 am
I've released build 68 which has hopefully fixed at least some of the animation issues that were reported with build 67. Please see viewtopic.php?f=44&t=80025.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Previous

Return to DAZ Studio