OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2020.2-17.59 [ OBSOLETE ]

Forums: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2020.2-17.59 [ OBSOLETE ]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2020.2-17.59 [ test ]

Postby BK » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:34 am

BK Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:34 am
Banti wrote:
BK wrote:Hi Huakiami,

Thank you!! We are currently prioritizing fixing the ORBX export issue.
Here is the list of long-term bugs we plan to work on. Please feel free to add if there are any other known bugs.
Once it is in a stable state we would plan to implement new Octane features

- Items with rigid follow nodes slow down posing and morphing while the octane plugin is active.
- Materials are sometimes not being saved to the DAZStudio scene file - random error, hard to reproduce
issue where C:\Users[username]\OctaneRender\Data\OctaneRender_settings.oczdb becomes corrupt, requiring the user to delete this file
- Reloading a scene and then opening the Viewport, Octane will not start the render. To get around this, you currently need to click Pause and then Continue
- IES problem viewtopic.php?f=44&t=51808&p=264837#p264837
- Fix bug when added new Kernels or Environments via the New button, the new Kernel/Environment does not actually get connected to the Rendertarget

cheers

2 other bugs that come to my mind are:

1) Material templating doesnt work with SSS-maps, glossy-maps and roughness-maps.
2) Strand based hair / dForce Hair doesnt work with Octane
3) The facetting issue with DAZ models when using scattering, but thats more of a general octane problem rather then a plugin specific one

Thanks Banti,

The 1 and 2 sound like new features but happy to double-check.
would you please share a sample scene or steps to replicate the facetting issue?

- Items with rigid follow nodes slow down posing and morphing while the octane plugin is active.
- Materials are sometimes not being saved to the DAZStudio scene file - random error, hard to reproduce
issue where C:\Users[username]\OctaneRender\Data\OctaneRender_settings.oczdb becomes corrupt, requiring the user to delete this file
- Reloading a scene and then opening the Viewport, Octane will not start the render. To get around this, you currently need to click Pause and then Continue
- Fix bug when added new Kernels or Environments via the New button, the new Kernel/Environment does not actually get connected to the Rendertarget
- Material templating doesnt work with SSS-maps, glossy-maps and roughness-maps.
- Strand based hair / dForce Hair doesnt work with Octane
- The facetting issue with DAZ models when using scattering, but thats more of a general octane problem rather then a plugin specific one

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Banti » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:57 pm

Banti Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:57 pm
BK wrote:
Banti wrote:

Thank you!! We are currently prioritizing fixing the ORBX export issue.
Here is the list of long-term bugs we plan to work on. Please feel free to add if there are any other known bugs.
Once it is in a stable state we would plan to implement new Octane features

cheers

2 other bugs that come to my mind are:

1) Material templating doesnt work with SSS-maps, glossy-maps and roughness-maps.
2) Strand based hair / dForce Hair doesnt work with Octane
3) The facetting issue with DAZ models when using scattering, but thats more of a general octane problem rather then a plugin specific one

Thanks Banti,

The 1 and 2 sound like new features but happy to double-check.
would you please share a sample scene or steps to replicate the facetting issue?

- Material templating doesnt work with SSS-maps, glossy-maps and roughness-maps.
- Strand based hair / dForce Hair doesnt work with Octane
- The facetting issue with DAZ models when using scattering, but thats more of a general octane problem rather then a plugin specific one

cheers

Thanks for the reply,

I guess one could consider supporting strand based hair as a new feature, however it is possible to make some strand based hairs work sometimes by playing around with "Preview PR Hair" and "Viewport Line Tessellation" settings. But more often than not, it wont work. What I mean is that its not an 100% unsupported feature therefore it would be more of a fix.

Same goes for the material templating. It works for diffuse, normal, bump and opacity maps, so the "templating feature" is already there, it just doesnt work with all maps.

The facetting problem has been brought forward multiple times but it was stated that it works "as intended". I am pretty sure its a problem with the "fake shadows" in specular materials as the facetting disappears when disabling it. This however makes the material unusable as it completely darkens the material.

Here is what the facetting looks like:
facetting.png

Setting the model to a higher subD-level helps but the facetting is still noticable even at subD-level 3.

I also upload the scene with the Genesis 8 Base Model:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/y94t1xj5 ... g.duf/file

You can also simply reproduce this by using a specular material (with fake shadows turned on) and a scattering or random walk medium on any genesis model.

Thanks again
Banti
Last edited by Banti on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby huakiami » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:19 pm

huakiami Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:19 pm
BK wrote:The 1 and 2 sound like new features but happy to double-check.

BK,

I think you should be more focused on the needs of the userbase rather than arbitrarily categorizing things into "new features" vs. "bugs" - the feature set of the DAZ plugin is so far behind that most of the missing features could basically be considered bugs at this point.

It also doesn't seem like you've even confirmed the list of issues you posted are still occurring, or if they're even high priority to the userbase to get resolved. Obviously, I cannot speak for the entire DAZ plugin community, but in my opinion the majority of the issues you listed are low priority because they either have simple workarounds or are a low impact.

The only high priority one I see in your original list is the rigid follow node issue, as currently it is nearly impossible to use items that take advantage of this feature while the plugin is active, even when not rendering. The only workaround is to disable the plugin, complete all of your posing/simulation, then re-enable the plugin. I would not consider this an easy/simple workaround and it nullifies the principle of working interactively with Octane since you can't have the plugin enabled until the end.

BK wrote:We are currently prioritizing fixing the ORBX export issue.

You posted on 5/4/2021 that this was being worked on as the highest priority issue. Has there been no progress in 4 months? I also question whether this should be the current focus... this is not a high priority fix for me but I am curious what the rest of the community thinks. If anything, I believe the import ORBX issues are more important to resolve than exporting...

BK wrote:- Issue where C:\Users[username]\OctaneRender\Data\OctaneRender_settings.oczdb becomes corrupt, requiring the user to delete this file

I would argue this should be low priority to fix since it has a simple workaround. It is an inconvenience, but not a show stopper.

BK wrote:- Reloading a scene and then opening the Viewport, Octane will not start the render. To get around this, you currently need to click Pause and then Continue

This should also be low priority since the workaround is clicking two buttons... (and I should note that I almost never finish a scene in one session, so I reload saved scenes frequently and have never had this happen, so it isn't even a problem 100% of the time).

I downloaded linvanchene's scene where they posted the issue and it did not have the bug. linvanchene themselves even noted that this was low priority in their original post.

BK wrote:- Fix bug when added new Kernels or Environments via the New button, the new Kernel/Environment does not actually get connected to the Rendertarget

I have never had this happen and am not able to re-create it. As I mentioned above I think you need to confirm these things are still issues...

The issues that Banti posted are much more relevant and impactful, as are the majority of the missing features that are in Octane but still not supported by plugin. I share OneManVN's sentiments in that I love the plugin, but it does seem like Otoy does not care about the needs of its DAZ userbase since the departure of the original plugin developer. If all we wanted was to take advantage of the Octane render engine, we could just export our entire scenes as OBJ and import into OR Standalone and work from there. But that's not what we want - we're all working in the plugin to take advantage of the features of DAZ Studio while simultaneously using Octane for rendering. The support of DAZ features should be more important than the majority of what you listed...

Thanks

edit: fixed a few typos and quotes
huakiami
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:59 am

BK Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:59 am
huakiami wrote:
BK wrote:The 1 and 2 sound like new features but happy to double-check.

BK,

I think you should be more focused on the needs of the userbase rather than arbitrarily categorizing things into "new features" vs. "bugs" - the feature set of the DAZ plugin is so far behind that most of the missing features could basically be considered bugs at this point.

It also doesn't seem like you've even confirmed the list of issues you posted are still occurring, or if they're even high priority to the userbase to get resolved. Obviously, I cannot speak for the entire DAZ plugin community, but in my opinion the majority of the issues you listed are low priority because they either have simple workarounds or are a low impact.

The only high priority one I see in your original list is the rigid follow node issue, as currently it is nearly impossible to use items that take advantage of this feature while the plugin is active, even when not rendering. The only workaround is to disable the plugin, complete all of your posing/simulation, then re-enable the plugin. I would not consider this an easy/simple workaround and it nullifies the principle of working interactively with Octane since you can't have the plugin enabled until the end.

BK wrote:We are currently prioritizing fixing the ORBX export issue.

You posted on 5/4/2021 that this was being worked on as the highest priority issue. Has there been no progress in 4 months? I also question whether this should be the current focus... this is not a high priority fix for me but I am curious what the rest of the community thinks. If anything, I believe the import ORBX issues are more important to resolve than exporting...

BK wrote:- Issue where C:\Users[username]\OctaneRender\Data\OctaneRender_settings.oczdb becomes corrupt, requiring the user to delete this file

I would argue this should be low priority to fix since it has a simple workaround. It is an inconvenience, but not a show stopper.

BK wrote:- Reloading a scene and then opening the Viewport, Octane will not start the render. To get around this, you currently need to click Pause and then Continue

This should also be low priority since the workaround is clicking two buttons... (and I should note that I almost never finish a scene in one session, so I reload saved scenes frequently and have never had this happen, so it isn't even a problem 100% of the time).

I downloaded linvanchene's scene where they posted the issue and it did not have the bug. linvanchene themselves even noted that this was low priority in their original post.

BK wrote:- Fix bug when added new Kernels or Environments via the New button, the new Kernel/Environment does not actually get connected to the Rendertarget

I have never had this happen and am not able to re-create it. As I mentioned above I think you need to confirm these things are still issues...

The issues that Banti posted are much more relevant and impactful, as are the majority of the missing features that are in Octane but still not supported by plugin. I share OneManVN's sentiments in that I love the plugin, but it does seem like Otoy does not care about the needs of its DAZ userbase since the departure of the original plugin developer. If all we wanted was to take advantage of the Octane render engine, we could just export our entire scenes as OBJ and import into OR Standalone and work from there. But that's not what we want - we're all working in the plugin to take advantage of the features of DAZ Studio while simultaneously using Octane for rendering. The support of DAZ features should be more important than the majority of what you listed...

Thanks

edit: fixed a few typos and quotes

Hi Huakiami,

Thank you so much for your suggestions!
Totally agree with all your points especially focussing more on our Octane Daz user's needs.
It is great to know all the other issue has a workaround at least.

We apologize for the delays as we are still reviewing the main body of the Daz plugin code with lots of tests and trials.

We found Daz Studio application itself uses a really old (and unsupported) version of the QT library.
And we have just sorted a few critical issues related to the projects that could only be compiled in VS 2010 or 2013 previously.

We have set rigid follow node issue as a high priority on our internal ticket.
Sorel have shared the scene and assets to replicate this issue (viewtopic.php?p=402007#p402007)

We would keep everyone posted on the progress!

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Sorel » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:09 am

Sorel Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:09 am

Totally agree with all your points especially focussing more on our Octane Daz user's needs.

We apologize for the delays as we are still reviewing the main body of the Daz plugin code with lots of tests and trials.

We found Daz Studio application itself uses a really old (and unsupported) version of the QT library.
And we have just sorted a few critical issues related to the projects that could only be compiled in VS 2010 or 2013 previously.

Sorel have shared the scene and assets to replicate this issue (viewtopic.php?p=402007#p402007)

cheers

Oh, I should probably mention then that, Daz the company is currently working on Daz Studio 5 and one of the big changes is updating the QT stuff. We haver been told a version will be available sometime towards the end of the year, but who knows if that will actually happen, they seem to have funky timelines.
Sorel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:44 am

BK Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:44 am
Sorel wrote:

cheers

Oh, I should probably mention then that, Daz the company is currently working on Daz Studio 5 and one of the big changes is updating the QT stuff. We haver been told a version will be available sometime towards the end of the year, but who knows if that will actually happen, they seem to have funky timelines.

Thank you Sorel for the updates.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby delguy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:38 am

delguy Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:38 am
Hello,

We have been hearing about updates to the plugin, however still there are major needed changes and are stil not done. We would need a clear outline of next working stable plugin and not just a test one. @BK could you please share the update on the status on last shared needed changes.
delguy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:53 am

BK Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:53 am
delguy wrote:Hello,

We have been hearing about updates to the plugin, however still there are major needed changes and are stil not done. We would need a clear outline of next working stable plugin and not just a test one. @BK could you please share the update on the status on last shared needed changes.

Hello Delguy,

Thank you for the post.

We are aware of the NGE missing features and Material convertor. Would you please help us what are the other changes required?
We could move to stable release once the Items with rigid follow nodes slow down posing and morphing while the octane plugin is active. bug is fixed and no bug is introduced!
sure, the new Octane for Daz 17.60 released today have ORBX and OCS export bug fixed. We do not need to run the OpenViewport.

One question we would like to confirm if 8) The plugin will not currently Import Materials from ORBX files where there are multiple materials in the ORBX file. ever worked before or is this a feature? Please let us know if anyone remember the working version!

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby BK » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:54 am

BK Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:54 am
BK wrote:

Hello Delguy,

Thank you for the post.

We are aware of the NGE missing features and Material convertor. Would you please help us what are the other changes required?
We could move to stable release once the Items with rigid follow nodes slow down posing and morphing while the octane plugin is active. bug is fixed and no bug is introduced!
sure, the new Octane for Daz 17.60 released today have ORBX and OCS export bug fixed.

One question we would like to confirm if 8) The plugin will not currently Import Materials from ORBX files where there are multiple materials in the ORBX file. ever worked before or is this a feature? Please let us know if anyone remember the working version!

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Banti » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:40 am

Banti Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:40 am
BK wrote:

Hello Delguy,

Thank you for the post.

sure, the new Octane for Daz 17.60 released today have ORBX and OCS export bug fixed. We do not need to run the OpenViewport.

cheers

Hello BK,

as far as I am aware, the import of orbx files with more than one material present never worked in any of the previous versions. Not 100% sure tho since I only started using Octane about 3 years ago.
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio