OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2020.2-17.59 [ OBSOLETE ]

Forums: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2020.2-17.59 [ OBSOLETE ]
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: OctaneRender for DAZ Studio 2020.2-17.59 [ test ]

Postby Hun73rdk_1 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:07 am

Hun73rdk_1 Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:07 am
I can understand that people are ranting there are people who left even the creator of redspec skin left also there is noting happening no progress report on what is going on no fixes no new features at all people that have concerns or are angry just get ignored all together.
I am learning blender right now so i can moved there and forget daz and octane all together, i have the feeling there is gonna be no update with fixes or new features they are saying there is coming but i think they say that to keep people and have them pay.
Join the Octane Daz Fan server for people that uses daz and octane https://discord.gg/wDzwC8tqAK
Hun73rdk_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SiliconAya » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:29 am

SiliconAya Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:29 am
You guys must be new here :)

This plugin hasn't seen any development since 2014 and by development I mean something being added that didn't come free from Octane standalone updates. Since 2014 the plugin has been on life support, we've only had recompiles to the newest version of Octane standalone (and sometimes that took many months), some bug fixes here and there and features removed because they were to hard to fix, it's been pathetic. I stopped reporting bugs because the standard method of fixes them is/was just to remove the feature, I'd rather have a partly working feature than no feature at all.

The only reason I'm still here is because I use other plugins, although that might not be a case for much longer, I'll be evaluating that shortly, as I use Redshift and Renderman as well and Otoys over promising, super slow delivery and inability to keep to a timeline is becoming a meme. You'll notice they promised 2 major updates a year to Octane standalone, but for the last 3-4 years haven't even managed one major update in a year sometimes.

Don't get your hopes up that anything will change, because I highly doubt it will. At one point I thought things might get better once Otoy took development in-house, but they've actually gotten worse.

This plugin is "as is" don't expect any further changes.
SiliconAya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby OneManVN » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:59 pm

OneManVN Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:59 pm
SiliconAya wrote:You guys must be new here :)

This plugin hasn't seen any development since 2014 and by development, I mean something being added that didn't come free from Octane standalone updates. Since 2014 the plugin has been on life support, we've only had recompiles to the newest version of Octane standalone (and sometimes that took many months), some bug fixes here and there and features removed because they were to hard to fix, it's been pathetic. I stopped reporting bugs because the standard method of fixes them is/was just to remove the feature, I'd rather have a partly working feature than no feature at all.

The only reason I'm still here is because I use other plugins, although that might not be a case for much longer, I'll be evaluating that shortly, as I use Redshift and Renderman as well and Otoys over promising, super slow delivery and inability to keep to a timeline is becoming a meme. You'll notice they promised 2 major updates a year to Octane standalone, but for the last 3-4 years haven't even managed one major update in a year sometimes.

Don't get your hopes up that anything will change, because I highly doubt it will. At one point I thought things might get better once Otoy took development in-house, but they've actually gotten worse.

This plugin is "as is" don't expect any further changes.
I suppose I am new. And if that is really the case... Then I guess it might just be time for me to start looking at blender once again. A shame really. I like working with this plug-in.
OneManVN
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:58 pm

haze Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:58 pm
Apologies for the lack of any progress updates. There has been a significant reshuffle of priorities, and we expect to give you regular updates from today.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby MFindt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:41 am

MFindt Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:41 am
haze wrote:Apologies for the lack of any progress updates. There has been a significant reshuffle of priorities, and we expect to give you regular updates from today.

hey,

that would be really good. I'm excited about the plugin, but it's currently getting harder to work with every month.

Just the lack of support for Strand based hair and Diffuse Overlay Makeup.

Looking forward to the upcoming updates.

Greetings,
Michael
MFindt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hun73rdk_1 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:46 am

Hun73rdk_1 Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:46 am
MFindt wrote:
haze wrote:Apologies for the lack of any progress updates. There has been a significant reshuffle of priorities, and we expect to give you regular updates from today.

hey,

that would be really good. I'm excited about the plugin, but it's currently getting harder to work with every month.

Just the lack of support for Strand based hair and Diffuse Overlay Makeup.

Looking forward to the upcoming updates.

Greetings,
Michael

Yea it really getting hard to keep up making stuff when people can use iray with more features but no our of core memory that is why i use Octane but the lack of new features and fixes its getting hard to stay.
Join the Octane Daz Fan server for people that uses daz and octane https://discord.gg/wDzwC8tqAK
Hun73rdk_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby OneManVN » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:19 am

OneManVN Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:19 am

That is wonderful news, thank you.
OneManVN
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby huakiami » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:27 pm

huakiami Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:27 pm

Can you provide anything more concrete, such as specifying what issues or features are currently being worked on or provide some kind of roadmap for future development of the plugin? Unfortunately this is not the first time we've been told to expect regular updates going forward.

Thanks
huakiami
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:13 pm

BK Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:13 pm
Hi Huakiami,

Thank you!! We are currently prioritizing fixing the ORBX export issue.
Here is the list of long-term bugs we plan to work on. Please feel free to add if there are any other known bugs.
Once it is in a stable state we would plan to implement new Octane features

- Items with rigid follow nodes slow down posing and morphing while the octane plugin is active.
- Materials are sometimes not being saved to the DAZStudio scene file - random error, hard to reproduce
issue where C:\Users[username]\OctaneRender\Data\OctaneRender_settings.oczdb becomes corrupt, requiring the user to delete this file
- Reloading a scene and then opening the Viewport, Octane will not start the render. To get around this, you currently need to click Pause and then Continue
- IES problem viewtopic.php?f=44&t=51808&p=264837#p264837
- Fix bug when added new Kernels or Environments via the New button, the new Kernel/Environment does not actually get connected to the Rendertarget

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Banti » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:19 am

Banti Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:19 am
BK wrote:Hi Huakiami,

Thank you!! We are currently prioritizing fixing the ORBX export issue.
Here is the list of long-term bugs we plan to work on. Please feel free to add if there are any other known bugs.
Once it is in a stable state we would plan to implement new Octane features

- Items with rigid follow nodes slow down posing and morphing while the octane plugin is active.
- Materials are sometimes not being saved to the DAZStudio scene file - random error, hard to reproduce
issue where C:\Users[username]\OctaneRender\Data\OctaneRender_settings.oczdb becomes corrupt, requiring the user to delete this file
- Reloading a scene and then opening the Viewport, Octane will not start the render. To get around this, you currently need to click Pause and then Continue
- IES problem viewtopic.php?f=44&t=51808&p=264837#p264837
- Fix bug when added new Kernels or Environments via the New button, the new Kernel/Environment does not actually get connected to the Rendertarget

cheers

2 other bugs that come to my mind are:

1) Material templating doesnt work with SSS-maps, glossy-maps and roughness-maps.
2) Strand based hair / dForce Hair doesnt work with Octane
3) The facetting issue with DAZ models when using scattering, but thats more of a general octane problem rather then a plugin specific one
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to DAZ Studio