Layering texture on a material

Forums: Layering texture on a material
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Layering texture on a material

Postby SparkieShock » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:33 am

SparkieShock Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:33 am
Hi .. I'm having incredible difficulty trying to layer a texture onto a gold coin.

So .. I've tried to follow the layering for tattoo's but this doesn't help as this seems to be to blend to textures (And an alpha mask) which will then converge into a material node.
But in the case of a gold shader .. the material node is already doing a lot of the work .. attaching the texture (even with mask and coordinates) isn't working. I just keep getting everything except the result I need.

here's a look at the node structure I have.

Can anyone help me?

Capture.JPG
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
DAZ3D - BLENDER - OCTANE STANDALONE and PLUGIN FOR DAZ - OCTANE PRIME for DAZ
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Layering texture on a material

Postby Banti » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:11 pm

Banti Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:11 pm
Could you show what the textures you are using and the result you are getting looks like. If you pm me the textures I can try and see if I can get it right. Also, why dont you use a metallic material for the gold, it should give way more realistic results than glossy materials.
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SparkieShock » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:24 pm

SparkieShock Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:24 pm
Banti wrote:Could you show what the textures you are using and the result you are getting looks like. If you pm me the textures I can try and see if I can get it right. Also, why don't you use a metallic material for the gold, it should give way more realistic results than glossy materials.

The textures are nothing special .. just a logo. One that is alpha channeled .. and another that I have set as JPG (I tried using the PNG for both but was getting nowhere). Really it could be any texture. I just want to be able to put any texture on top of a material. As for why not metallic material, .. there just didn't seem to be a need. I assigned 'Gold 2' as a shader and it looked fine. I'll try the metallic material but I can't see how there'd be any difference. The gold looks fine .. but not being able to put the texture on the surface is driving me crazy .. it seems not to be possible?

I can send you the PNG if you really need it .. but if you can just show me how to put any logo texture onto a material .. I'd be most grateful.
I get how the alpha mask is supposed to work but it ends up making the gold look blue? .. and faded. It's like there's more material coming out than should. Basically .. I can't get it to work.
Win 10 Pro Edition - Intel i0 10900X - X299 MB - 128GB's KINGSTON FURY 3200 RAM - 2x RTX A6000 GPU's - 1300 Watt Power
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Banti » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:38 pm

Banti Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:38 pm
I see, I will try to make something I think you are looking for.
Last edited by Banti on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Banti » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:59 pm

Banti Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:59 pm
So I put the DAZ logo on a gold coin. Is this close to what you are trying to achieve?
gold.png
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SparkieShock » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:13 pm

SparkieShock Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:13 pm
Banti wrote:So I put the DAZ logo on a gold coin. Is this close to what you are trying to achieve?
gold.png

Yes indeed .. this is what I'm trying to do. Can you show me how you did this please.
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Banti » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:21 pm

Banti Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:21 pm
I mixed a Diffuse material and a metallic materials. I put the logo into the diffuse channel (as rgb image), tweaked the scale and translation so its centered and the exact same image into the amount channel of the mix node (as rgba image because it has alpha channel). I switched border mode from wrap around to white color (so it doesnt repeat). And thats pretty much it.
Attachments
2.PNG
1.PNG
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SparkieShock » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:01 pm

SparkieShock Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:01 pm
Ahhh .. I did also wonder about that wrap thing .. I didn't know how to stop an image repeating.
Looking at this node setup seems simplicity itself. Many thanks for this .. I shall try this a bit later on, heading to bed shortly as I've been up all night working on this thing. But yeah .. looking at this I can see how that's supposed to work now.
Many MANY thanks for showing me the way.

Banti wrote:I mixed a Diffuse material and a metallic materials. I put the logo into the diffuse channel (as rgb image), tweaked the scale and translation so its centered and the exact same image into the amount channel of the mix node (as rgba image because it has alpha channel). I switched border mode from wrap around to white color (so it doesnt repeat). And thats pretty much it.
SparkieShock
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Banti » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:06 pm

Banti Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:06 pm
SparkieShock wrote:Ahhh .. I did also wonder about that wrap thing .. I didn't know how to stop an image repeating.
Looking at this node setup seems simplicity itself. Many thanks for this .. I shall try this a bit later on, heading to bed shortly as I've been up all night working on this thing. But yeah .. looking at this I can see how that's supposed to work now.
Many MANY thanks for showing me the way.

Banti wrote:I mixed a Diffuse material and a metallic materials. I put the logo into the diffuse channel (as rgb image), tweaked the scale and translation so its centered and the exact same image into the amount channel of the mix node (as rgba image because it has alpha channel). I switched border mode from wrap around to white color (so it doesnt repeat). And thats pretty much it.

No problem, you're welcome. Let me know if it worked for you.
Banti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio