need help on emiter on reflections

Forums: need help on emiter on reflections
DAZ Studio Integrated Plugin (Integrated Plugin maintained by OTOY)

Moderator: BK

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

need help on emiter on reflections

Postby apollyonpt » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:22 pm

apollyonpt Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:22 pm
Hi, I've been trying to find how to remove the emitter mesh from the reflections on the render and I don't find the solution.

In the object parameters, I turned off visibility control and camera visibility which according to otoy this should remove the mesh emitter from the reflections.

What am I doing wrong here cause the mesh still appears in the reflections

Thank you

https://imgur.com/a/dKsKRqX
apollyonpt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: need help on emiter on reflections

Postby swipswap » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:56 am

swipswap Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:56 am
I don't think you can because of the nature of path tracing. Some things to consider when concealing the light source:
  • Try moving the light source so its not visible from the camera's perspective
  • Use a IES for the distribution value (set to grey image and drop down to Octane IES) on texture emission/blackbody node, this can give you spot light effect so you can laser in on a target from a distance
  • Set the mirror to a different render layer so you can render it separately later, perhaps with a substitute light source that isn't visible to the camera
In some cases getting the lighting you want will require post work, such as the use of render layers that you can composite in a photo editor.
swipswap
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hun73rdk_1 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Hun73rdk_1 Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:53 pm
You just need to turn off Visible on Specular then it will not show up in glass, mirrors or any reflective surfaces
you still need to hide it with Opacity also
Attachments
off.PNG
On.PNG
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.17 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
Join the Octane Daz Fan server for people that uses daz and octane https://discord.gg/wDzwC8tqAK
Hun73rdk_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby apollyonpt » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:30 pm

apollyonpt Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:30 pm
hello guys, thank you for the reply.

I've tried many of the things you guys mention here, but here is the problem, sometimes it's impossible to have an angle that the reflection won't coincide with the mesh being reflected, the same thing applies with ies. For example, I use a sphere with light bulb specific ies and circular distribuition projection to normal space(ies lights), the sphere is still being rendered has a light in the reflection.

Setting the mirror in another layer is a workaround that only works sometimes, but in the end, if you are bound to render in that angle eventually u will have to render to the reflective surface, for example, if you are rendering a subway interior, the car is full of glasses all around and you end up having to render the glass and the reflection of the mesh.

Removing the specularity is not something I desire to do.

My whole point of asking this is because, in other Octane plugins like c4d, you hide the geometry from being rendered and still keep the specularity, I was hoping this was something I was not doing correctly but at this point, it seems to be rather a bug more than anything else.

oh well...

Thank you guys
apollyonpt
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hun73rdk_1 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:49 am

Hun73rdk_1 Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:49 am
I don't get what you said but if you have a subway car and want extra light in there removing the ambient light from the reflective surfaces you still have the light in the car that should be there to show reflection sorry if i did not get your question.
I use mesh light as ambient light i dont want them to be shown in reflection but the lamps there is suppose to be in the scene still show reflection.
Join the Octane Daz Fan server for people that uses daz and octane https://discord.gg/wDzwC8tqAK
Hun73rdk_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 am

Zay Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 am
Change the light ID number and put the geometry you want to hide the light from in an Object Layer map - you may have to edit the model first to remove/copy and insert the geometry you want to hide.
Then in the Object Layer Map you simply click the ID number that match your light ID number you want to hide from the geometry. That way you can control which lights will effect which geometry in the scene.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to DAZ Studio