How to fit a material map to an object

Forums: How to fit a material map to an object
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

How to fit a material map to an object

Postby alfabruce » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:08 am

alfabruce Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:08 am
Hi Everyone, ive been mucking around with Rhino octane for years on and off and still cant get some of the basics worked out. I spend so much time going around in circles doing what Ive found extremely easy in the old 3D max that im honestly thinking about changing to another renderer.

There are precious few videos explaining the basics and I know that in theory its similar to the node editing in the blender etc versions for which there are lots of resources but its really not that easy to understand.

Things like.

How do I fit a map to an object.

Should I be using the uv transform or the projection box controls.
Untitled-1.jpg
material panel

Here im trying to put an image on a box in the background but the image rendered in the view port is different to the actual rendering.
naza.jpg
original image

The viewport shows that the actual images is not fitting the box background.
Untitled-2.jpg
viewport

Also, shouldnt the map fit the box when the scale is 1,1,1 and its fit as a box map.
Here is the actual image im experimenting with

And now here is the rendered image i get back which is different again.
fitting maps questions.png
actual rendered image different to original and viewport

I spend so much time trying to get material maps to fit. Scale, try again scale, try again scale, bit more bit less, then use the transform to bump it across, a bit more , too much ......its driving me crazy.

Is there a better way?

Sorry for the whinge but we pay money for this software and its got great potential but I waste so much time trying to nut out things that should be easy and theres nowhere to turn
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How to fit a material map to an object

Postby whersmy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:27 am

whersmy Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:27 am
+10!!

In 3dsmax we have the "Fit" option, which crops the image nicely around the object. (for example when planar of box mapping)
With a single click the image is positioned correctly. In Octane I sometimes have to use the transform XYZ option to eyeball the image in the right place, after box mapping as well.

Doesn`t Rhino have the same UV-options?
Octane 2022.1.1 nv535.98
mac pro g5| pentium g2030 iGPU| maximus extreme V| 2x gtx590 - 8gb - SSD - win7-x64- 1500W Silverstone|
x201t - gtx580 - egpu ec
Dell G5 - 16GB - dgpu GTX1060 - TB3 egpu @ 1060 / RTX 4090

Octane Render experiments
whersmy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby alfabruce » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:41 am

alfabruce Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:41 am
Now what the F..k is happening???

now what.jpg

The viewport and render still dont match up but the map seems to be getting thrown onto the shape as if its flat packed.

We really need some more tutorials and instructions to help us through this.

A 1 minute video on a few of these basic subjects by the octane providers/programmers would do so much to help us all.

The octane manual which was written ages ago really doesnt even begin to explain it, or at least not to hobbiest users like me where the jargon doesnt really click.
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:14 am

face_off Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:14 am
How do I fit a map to an object.
If the UV's on the geometry (say a plane) are from 0,0 to 1,1, then the Image will automatically fit. If your UV's go 0,0 to 0.5, 0.5, then you will need to scale the image map by 50% to get it to fit. I would not recommend box mapping, just use the default Mesh UV projection. For example....

Rhino->New Scene->Surface->Plane->Corner to Corner
Add an Octane Material and assign it to the plane
Change the "diffuse" pin to an RGB Image and select an image

The image will automatically stretch to the extend of the plane, since the plane has UV coordinates from 0,0 to 1,1.

If you even want to see the UV mapping for an object, open the Octane Viewport, and enable the "UV Coordinates AOV" (Click Add on the Render AOVs node in the Rendertarget and set the "AOV 1" node type to "UV Coordinates AOV"), then select "UV Coordinates" from the combobox in the toolbar of the Octane Viewport. Black = 0,0, and yellow = 1,1.

You can also view the UV's in the Rhino Viewport via the Rhino Options->View->Display Modes->Shaded->Objects->Surfaces->Surface Isocurve Settings->Isocurve color usage->"Use specified UV colors" and assign the U and V Color.

I hope that helps.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby alfabruce » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:05 am

alfabruce Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:05 am
Hi Paul,

Thanks. Ill have a shot at that later this afternoon and try to make sense of it. Its great to know that there is a method for this and that you can see the mapping coordinates which I wasnt aware of.

Look forward to experimenting with it later.

Cheers

Tim
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D