Export scene as OCS with individual mesh group

Forums: Export scene as OCS with individual mesh group
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Export scene as OCS with individual mesh group

Postby tomo8177 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:55 am

tomo8177 Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:55 am
Is there a function, when exporting Rhino scene as .ocs or .orbx, to export the mesh into separated geometry groups, instead of one big chunk of geometry??
maybe separated by Rhino layers??

i understand each Rhino blocks are kept separate from other mesh, but not all geometry in Rhino will be made into blocks.

i like the node interface of Octane Standalone so much when performing the batch render.
my job always requires me to produce hundreds of different "versions" of the scene rendering, with variety of camera positions, daylight settings, environment settings, render settings, different post processing values, with/without particular furniture (objects), in different positions, with same models but different style wallpapers/colors (materials), etc.
Rhino's batch renderer does a decent job of creating variety of conditions by using different Named Views and Named Positions, Snapshots, etc.

saving the render setting to camera position is a great function, but i still prefer the node interface of Standalone renderer, which enables me to share/not share certain items.
tomo8177
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Export scene as OCS with individual mesh group

Postby face_off » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:40 am

face_off Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:40 am
Hi - unfortunately there is not currently a way to do this with the plugin. There is a DIY solution you could write with RhinoScript where you turn off all geometry except for a given layer, and then open the viewport and export to ORBX. Then your script could do the same for the next layer, etc.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby tomo8177 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:04 pm

tomo8177 Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:04 pm
Thank you Paul for replying!!
right, that is my work around, and it still requires me to re-assemble each ORBX into one scene...
tomo8177
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:03 am

face_off Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:03 am
tomo8177 wrote:Thank you Paul for replying!!
right, that is my work around, and it still requires me to re-assemble each ORBX into one scene...
Yes, true. You can write LUA code in Octane Standalone to merge scene's if you need to do this frequently.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D