texture path problem

Forums: texture path problem
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

texture path problem

Postby v-cube » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:27 pm

v-cube Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:27 pm
Hi Paul,

As you have probably already noticed, I am spending a lot of time now exploring the possibilities of the Node Graph editor, hence the large number of bug reports - sorry ...

This one resulted after I moved the test scene from my desktop to my archive. After opening the scene again after the relocation, I started octane to see what happened.

first I got this error message:

2021-02-23-texture-path.png

unfortunately unlike the normal octane material without graph editor, I do not get prompted with the possibility to search for the missing maps.

then I opened the graph editor:

2021-02-23-texture-path2.jpg

As you can see the place where the image file path is supposed to be is completely empty.

All in all this means that the use of my new beloved NodeGraph is very dangerous, since every broken link results in the inability to repair it due to the lack of any usable information.
This is a real showstopper for professional use IMHO.

I guess you remember my constant lamentation about getting an asset manager... while I almost lost hope for this, we need at least the "search for missing texture feature" like in the regular octane material.

best

Andreas

another thing
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: texture path problem

Postby v-cube » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:49 pm

v-cube Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:49 pm
... Just a little thing, despite all the bug reports I am sending, I would like to say that I really enjoy working with this SW!
Especially now with the implementation of Rhino Nature and my latest exploration of graph node and OSL, I have the feeling that the overall quality of our work improved significantly!
I think sometimes when reading through the treads one might get a kind of "negative bias" how good the SW runs overall, so this is just to show my appreciation for the work you guys are doing.

villa-41.jpg

this is just a test scene, where I tried out OSL scripts for multi textures, chaos node, combining different displacement maps and decal placement... works pretty neat I have to say...

villa-25.jpg

this one is an old file I used to casually test the latest Rhino Nature release. This is a real gamechanger and I am soooo happy that octane for Rhino is one of 2 render engines to support this fantastic approach.

so:
THANK YOU !
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 am

face_off Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 am
All in all this means that the use of my new beloved NodeGraph is very dangerous, since every broken link results in the inability to repair it due to the lack of any usable information.
This is a real showstopper for professional use IMHO.
Yes, this is a problem. When the .3dm file is loaded by Rhino, the nodegraph materials are simply XML text - not Octane Image nodes (where the existence of the file is checked). There is a hook in the Octane API to capture the event of missing assets, however it is not working, and I have reported the issue to OTOY. If this is fixed, it might be possible to come up with a solution (however it may not be simple - as the Octane "missing asset" event hits the interface layer between RhinoCommon and the Octane API, so it may not be possible to pop the standard "search for missing texturemap" dialog. I would need to investigate more once the Octane API end is working correctly.

The other solution could be that the plugin parses the XML strings that contain the filenames and check for their existence.

In the meantime, yes, it's an issue that you need to carefully manage.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:56 am

v-cube Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:56 am
well, that does not sound good, this is so frustrating, for everything I learn there seems to be a major setback.
I really thought Node Graph could solve the limitations of the old Material Editor and now this road is also blocked...
Not being able to move the file is not an option.
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:07 am

face_off Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:07 am
The other solution could be that the plugin parses the XML strings that contain the filenames and check for their existence.
I have been able to implement a version of this, which will be in the next release of the plugin.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:16 am

v-cube Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:16 am
OK this is awesome and extreme fast... I am sorry, but in your last post it sounded to me like this was very hard to implement ... however this is great news!
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D