Octane Rhino UI -02

Forums: Octane Rhino UI -02
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Octane Rhino UI -02

Postby v-cube » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:19 pm

v-cube Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:19 pm
Hi Paul,

I hope you are well,
here is something else which keeps bugging me and I wonder if there might be a solution for this ;-)

look at this pic:

rotateHDRI.jpg

The node for rotating a HDR Image is, as you can imagine, something we use very frequently on a daily basis.Unfortunately it is deeply buried in the node hierarchy, so getting there is rather cumbersome.
In addition to the effort it takes to actually get there, even after opening 4! sub categories and having adjusted your rotation value, your vertical UI space is cramped up with stuff you do not need, so you have to close them again...
Is there maybe a possibility to create some (user defined? ) shortcuts to certain nodes?
IMHO that would considerably speed up the workflow for all users since due to the vast (and very appreciated !) possibilities of octane the UI has become cumbersome to manage.
I a perfect world we would be able to outsource some nodes into another tab maybe (I am really daydreaming here...) it might even be possible to have sliders which would be dockable into the Rhino toolbars? That would be so awesome ! Quickly adjust lightning... rotation at your fingertips... just one click away...

Any chance??
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Rhino UI -02

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:38 am

face_off Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:38 am
I completely agree that this would be a great feature, although not something I could get to in the near term with all the Octane 2020.2 and 2021 work.

Have you looked at using the OctaneChangePinValue command? You could probably create a floating panel with a slider to call this command.

https://docs.otoy.com/RhinoH/RhinoPluginManual.htm#Rhinoceros/ScriptCommands.htm

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:10 am

v-cube Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:10 am
Have you looked at using the OctaneChangePinValue command? You could probably create a floating panel with a slider to call this command.

mmh... just took a look at this and the only thing I can do, as far as I understand, is set a pin to a certain value... so in theory I could place 12 buttons with an increment of 30 next to each other to move the HDRI around,
however this is a rather cumbersome approach and also takes up a lot of UI space... I do not have an idea how I could create a slider , I only know buttons in Rhino UI...

I have to say is a little frustrating for us architectural visualization guys since quite some time now... the last feature that really made an impact for us was the denoiser IMHO, the rest of the new features seem to be more targeted to other users...
When I look at the announcements for octane 2021 (https://home.otoy.com/octanerender-2021-rndr/) it seems the same.
Furthermore I am becoming more and more pessimistic about other Rhino specific features like e.g. and asset management system or better texture display control, which are obviously not easy to implement...
It has been a while since the plugin got some UI maintenance, am I wrong?

best

Andreas

P.S:At least the support for Rhino Nature however is great, so thank you for that.
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:36 pm

face_off Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:36 pm
mmh... just took a look at this and the only thing I can do, as far as I understand, is set a pin to a certain value... so in theory I could place 12 buttons with an increment of 30 next to each other to move the HDRI around,
however this is a rather cumbersome approach and also takes up a lot of UI space... I do not have an idea how I could create a slider , I only know buttons in Rhino UI...
I would prefer to build hooks into the plugin so that you can build your own UI to do the specific things that you need. For example, it took 10 mins to put together a scripts to spin the HDR Image via Rhino->Tools->PhythonScript
Code: Select all
# Imports
import Rhino
import scriptcontext
import System
import Rhino.UI
import Eto.Drawing as drawing
import Eto.Forms as forms

# SetTextureEnvironmentRotationDialog class
class SetTextureEnvironmentRotationDialog(forms.Dialog[bool]):

# Dialog box Class initializer
    def __init__(self):
        # Initialize dialog box
        self.Title = 'Set Texture Environment Rotation'
        self.Padding = drawing.Padding(10)
        self.Resizable = False

# Create controls for the dialog
        self.m_label = forms.Label(Text = 'Enter the Rotation:')
        self.m_slider = forms.Slider()
        self.m_slider.MinValue = 0
        self.m_slider.MaxValue = 360
        self.m_slider.ValueChanged += self.OnValueChanged

# Create the default button
        self.DefaultButton = forms.Button(Text = 'OK')
        self.DefaultButton.Click += self.OnOKButtonClick

# Create a table layout and add all the controls
        layout = forms.DynamicLayout()
        layout.Spacing = drawing.Size(5, 5)
        layout.AddRow(None) # spacer
        layout.AddRow(self.m_label, self.m_slider)
        layout.AddRow(None) # spacer
        layout.AddRow(self.DefaultButton, self.AbortButton)

# Set the dialog content
        self.Content = layout

def OnValueChanged(self, send, e):
        Rhino.RhinoApp.RunScript("OctaneChangePinValue environment:texture:projection:transform:rotation " + self.GetText(), True)

# Get the value of the textbox
    def GetText(self):
        return str(self.m_slider.Value)

# OK button click handler
    def OnOKButtonClick(self, sender, e):
        self.Close(True)

## End of Dialog Class ##

# The script that will be using the dialog.
def SetTextureEnvironmentRotation():
    dialog = SetTextureEnvironmentRotationDialog();
    rc = dialog.ShowModal(Rhino.UI.RhinoEtoApp.MainWindow)

##########################################################################
# Check to see if this file is being executed as the "main" python
# script instead of being used as a module by some other python script
# This allows us to use the module which ever way we want.
if __name__ == "__main__":
    SetTextureEnvironmentRotation()
It is pretty clunky, but you get the idea.

I have to say is a little frustrating for us architectural visualization guys since quite some time now... the last feature that really made an impact for us was the denoiser IMHO, the rest of the new features seem to be more targeted to other users...
When I look at the announcements for octane 2021 (https://home.otoy.com/octanerender-2021-rndr/) it seems the same.
This is feedback you can give to the OTOY team, as all I do is implement the new features from Octane that they provide into the plugin :-)

Furthermore I am becoming more and more pessimistic about other Rhino specific features like e.g. and asset management system or better texture display control, which are obviously not easy to implement...
It has been a while since the plugin got some UI maintenance, am I wrong?
There haven't been a lot of feature requests, and those that I receive that I can implement in a reasonable amount of time I do. There are a few on the TODO list (like mouse click-dragging the image in the viewport to pan) that I will get to once Octane core engine development slows.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:41 am

v-cube Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:41 am
Hi Paul,

thank you for taking the time to look into this, it is really appreciated.
For example, it took 10 mins to put together a scripts to spin the HDR Image via Rhino->Tools->PhythonScript

I downloaded the script and tested it. As I said I really appreciate that you are trying to help here, but I have to say that this is not working for me at all.
1. It might have taken you 10 minutes to code this, but for me everything which extends scripting together a few rhino commands is completely beyond my abilities. You might think that this is due to a lack of effort but I already have to know and maintain such a wide knowledge of stuff (3D modelling, photo pp, video editing, german and US building code, server administration etc...) It is not possible for me to start learning Python.
2. The initial idea was to simplify our workflow by moving some important settings/nodes out of the convoluted settings tree into a new window / tap. In a perfect world these could be user defined. While this script technically works, it is as you wrote yourself
pretty clunky,
so I have to start the toolbar manually, while it is open I cannot do anything else until I close it again... in this case, I rather bite the bullet and dig into the setting tree.

This is feedback you can give to the OTOY team, as all I do is implement the new features from Octane that they provide into the plugin :-)

Yes, this is of course correct... I guess I just had to let it out somehow , sorry.

There haven't been a lot of feature requests, and those that I receive that I can implement in a reasonable amount of time I do. There are a few on the TODO list

this is surprising to me... I guess I have to dig up some of my old postings :-)
I guess the todo list is not for disclosure?

(like mouse click-dragging the image in the viewport to pan) that I will get to once Octane core engine development slows.

While I acknowledge that everyone has probably his own preferences what are important features, I have to say that this is certainly not very important. The Rhino mouse navigation does a pretty decent job !
There are soooo many other much more important important things to implement IMHO !!!

Ok, enough for today I'm going to bed.

best

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:58 am

v-cube Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:58 am
... here for example a relatively recent wish:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=76375&p=392914#p392914

tomorrow I will dig out more ;-)

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:53 pm

v-cube Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:53 pm
Worldmapping.jpg

... this would be another old problem... Since World mapping space is also possible in vanilla Rhino this should work I guess...
This one would tremendously help us, since we would not have to apply individual UVW mappings to all new created objects, which is really a PITA (sorry for the bad language ...)

Andy
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 am

face_off Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 am
... this would be another old problem... Since World mapping space is also possible in vanilla Rhino this should work I guess...
This one would tremendously help us, since we would not have to apply individual UVW mappings to all new created objects, which is really a PITA (sorry for the bad language ...)
Can you send me a scene which demonstrates this problem please?

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:16 pm

v-cube Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:16 pm
Sure, here you go:

Octane WCS test.zip
(3.94 MiB) Downloaded 193 times

Thanks for looking into this !

Andreas