texture paths, asset management

Forums: texture paths, asset management
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

texture paths, asset management

Postby v-cube » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:19 pm

v-cube Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:19 pm
Hi Paul,

This morning I had a conversation with Przemysław from Rhino Nature, we talked about the current problems when collaborating on scenes on different network environments, which becomes more and more important these days.

One of the biggest issues IMHO is the lack of an asset managing system for textures where the user can see the used textures, missing textures and has the ability to exchange textures.

I know we talked about this for several years now, the bottom line was that you said it is to complex to implement, so if we cannot have a full asset management system like e.g. vray has, may I at least ask for something like this:

1. The ability to have a "pack and go" feature that would gather all textures used by octanes materials (and eventually rhino materials...) and save them to a user defined folder like [*.3dm root]/maps.

2. Give Octane the ability to do a standard search at some standard relative paths like [*.3dm root]/maps, [*.3dm root]/textures, [*.3dm root]/library . Ideally we would have hard wired predefined definitions like the aforementioned and the possibility to add user defined to that.

3.Give the user the ability to define custom network search paths, where Octane would automatically search when it does not find a texture. This is especially valuable in situations where texture locations are spreaded out over several different volumes and could save much time.

With these tools we would have at least a little bit more help to tame some of these projects.

thank you for looking into this and best regards

Andreas
Last edited by v-cube on Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: texture paths, asset management

Postby face_off » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:25 am

face_off Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:25 am
HI Andreas

I agree - this is something that needs to be improved - but after the 2020.2 version is done.

I haven't checked recently, but I think the LiveDb Texturemaps folder can be used as you describe.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:12 am

v-cube Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:12 am
Hi Paul,

Maybe it is my wishful thinking, but is it possible that I remember that you told me once, that there is a file somewhere like a txt. file, which incorporates (user editable) paths definitions for octane to search when opening a file and not finding a texture...

or is it just my dementia?

;-)

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:03 am

face_off Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:03 am
v-cube wrote:Hi Paul,

Maybe it is my wishful thinking, but is it possible that I remember that you told me once, that there is a file somewhere like a txt. file, which incorporates (user editable) paths definitions for octane to search when opening a file and not finding a texture...

or is it just my dementia?

;-)

Andreas
You might be thinking of the config.xml file - but it only allows one search folder, so probably not what you are after.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:49 pm

v-cube Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:49 pm
Hi Paul,

that might be correct :-)

is it possible to modify Octane 4 Rhino so this config.xml file could contain more path and eventually also relative paths?
That would already be a relive and a first step!

please!

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:32 am

face_off Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:32 am
Please see the latest plugin release at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=73466&p=399123#p399123 which contains the following enhancement:

- EXPERIMENTAL: Added support for alternative texturemap link paths. To do this, add <AlternativeSearchPathFolders>C:\path_to_my_first_search_path; \path_to_another_search_path</AlternativeSearchPathFolders> to your config.xml file. Multiple search paths can be specified, separated by a ';'. The last missing texturemaps folder will be searched prior to the alternative texturemap link paths.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 pm

v-cube Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 pm
Hi Paul,

first of all thank you very much for trying to implement this, it is really appreciated!

Unfortunately it is not working here. I inserted several network addresses like this ( //server1/library/maps; //server2/recentprojects/maps;...) and the result is that Rhino/Octane is hanging up completely when I try to open a project with some changed texture paths, even the missing texture dialogue box does not show up anymore. I had to revert to the version before :-(
Can you maybe compile a version with only the new material window implemented? I already got very used to the new one...
Using the old one feels like wearing this:

helmet.png
helmet.png (8.95 KiB) Viewed 3957 times

thanks

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:00 am

face_off Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:00 am
Unfortunately it is not working here. I inserted several network addresses like this ( //server1/library/maps; //server2/recentprojects/maps;...) and the result is that Rhino/Octane is hanging up completely when I try to open a project with some changed texture paths, even the missing texture dialogue box does not show up anymore. I had to revert to the version before
Does it still hang if you remove <AlternativeSearchPathFolders> from you config.xml file?

At a guess, I doubt the C# file search function will work with a network address. You could try mapping the network address to a Drive letter and specify that drive letter in the <AlternativeSearchPathFolders>.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Tue May 18, 2021 11:18 pm

face_off Tue May 18, 2021 11:18 pm
v-cube wrote:Hi Paul,

first of all thank you very much for trying to implement this, it is really appreciated!

Unfortunately it is not working here. I inserted several network addresses like this ( //server1/library/maps; //server2/recentprojects/maps;...) and the result is that Rhino/Octane is hanging up completely when I try to open a project with some changed texture paths, even the missing texture dialogue box does not show up anymore. I had to revert to the version before :-(
Can you maybe compile a version with only the new material window implemented? I already got very used to the new one...
Using the old one feels like wearing this:

helmet.png

thanks

Andreas
I have just released version 2020.2.3.126, which should resolve this issue.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D