Questions more about Rhino then the plugin

Forums: Questions more about Rhino then the plugin
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Questions more about Rhino then the plugin

Postby zivko » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:30 pm

zivko Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:30 pm
I've bought octane when it was in beta and i've been using it since, but only as a standalone. I have a licence for version 4, but i've never went trough and bought dedicated rhino plugin cause i thought that i'll eventually switch to maya or 3ds max, but with rhino 7 new quad mesh tool, i decided to reconsider the switch and maybe get the dedicated plugin for rhino instead.
I don't render much and my workflow is terrible so there's a few things that are stopping me from buying a plugin so i'm posting here in hope of getting some guidance from more experienced users.
Most important thing i suck at are trees and grass.
With orbx objects making those shouldn't be an issue, but i've been using grasshopper scatter in the past for grass and trees and, since i don't use it often, whenever i have to do that it feels awkward.
I'm basically asking if anyone knows of some sort of guide or workflow video for creating grass/trees with octane render for rhino using orbx or some other type of proxy?
Second thing that i'm curious about is how difficult is it to make some kind of fur carpet or clothing and if anyone knows of some plugin or some way to make drapes and fabrics interact with ground and furniture.
Lastly, is there any good guides/videos on rhino+octane plugin that cover most common types of architectural visualizations, like some exterior and interior scenes?

If someone knows a thing or two about things listed above, i'd really appreciate if you could take some time and answer the questions. It would really help me decide if i wanna buy the plugin or not and it's important to me since i don't do renderings for money, otherwise buying a plugin would probably be a no brainer.
desktop - win7 64bit, i5-4690, 12gb ddr3, 970gtx 4gb, 460gtx 2gb
laptop - win7 64bit, i7-2630qm, 10gb ddr3, 550m 2gb
zivko
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Questions more about Rhino then the plugin

Postby face_off » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:12 pm

face_off Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:12 pm
I'm basically asking if anyone knows of some sort of guide or workflow video for creating grass/trees with octane render for rhino using orbx or some other type of proxy?
You should be able to do this in the demo version of the OctaneRender for Rhino plugin....
- Start Rhino
- Add a plane
- Edit->Blocks->Create Block Definition->Select your Plane
- Create Block Definition to add a few Plane blocks from the originally created Plane
- OctaneRender tab->Geometry->Load ORBX (load an ORBX file containing a tree)
- Click the Replicate button on the Geometry tab to transform the current ORBX file to all copies of the Plane block definition.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D