OctaneExportSceneToORBX gives Cuda Error

Forums: OctaneExportSceneToORBX gives Cuda Error
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

OctaneExportSceneToORBX gives Cuda Error

Postby trogers » Fri May 31, 2019 10:11 pm

trogers Fri May 31, 2019 10:11 pm
Hi,

I can't seem to figure out the best way of saving out my scene from Rhino to open in Octane Standalone. When I try to export my scene with the OctaneExportSceneToORBX command I get this error:

Cuda Error Rendering Scene: FileName::toJuceFile() can be called only on absolute file names

I have had some success (randomly) at getting an .ocs file to save even while receiving the error, but after updating Rhino to SR14 the other night it only gives the error and no file is saved. Attempting to export an .orbx doesn't work at all and will end up giving me this error:

Cuda Error Rendering Scene: failed to open package "filename"
Failed to create destination package "filename" for re-export

Initially my file names had spaces so I tried using underscores, but I still get the same results.

I also notice that once I've received the error Rhino won't let me select any geometry or use the command line. I can type into the command line, but it won't auto-complete or execute the command. I also can not properly quit Rhino and have to end the task via the Windows Task Manager. The only way I have been able to restore Rhino's functionality is by restarting the app.

I haven't been able to find another way to save out an OCS or an ORBX besides the command line, but if there's a better way of doing this I'd love to know.

Thanks and please let me know if I can provide any further information to help solve the issue.

Here's my setup:

Software:
Rhino v 6 SR14
OctaneRenderForRhino v 4.2.1.104
Windows 10 (latest update)
Nvidia Studio Driver v 419.67

Cards:
Nvidia Quadro P2000
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti

Best / Travis
Win 10 / AMD 3970x / Nvidia 4090 + 2080 Ti / 128GB
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OctaneExportSceneToORBX gives Cuda Error

Postby trogers » Fri May 31, 2019 11:13 pm

trogers Fri May 31, 2019 11:13 pm
Quick update:

I updated the Octane Rhino plugin to v 2018.1.2.107 and was able to save out an OCS file, but the same error message shows. The file however opens without issue in Octane Standalone.

It still will not save out an ORBX file. I could be mistaken however as to what content is acceptable for the ORBX format. For this purpose I'm saving out an entire scene.

Best / Travis
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:01 am

face_off Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:01 am
Hi Travis. I think when you use the OctaneExportSceneToORBX command, if you don't specify a folder, it will try to save to the Rhino folder, which is read-only. So you either need to specify a full folder path that Rhino has write-access to, or use the Settings tree rightclick->menu option "Export Scene to ORBX".

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby trogers » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:41 am

trogers Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:41 am
Thanks Paul, of course the easier route (via the context menu in the settings tab) is that obvious :|
I appreciate the help, I'll be using this instead going forward.

Regarding the command line route. It only asks for a file name (Enter export filename (.OCS or .ORBX). Would I need to enter a full file path along with the name? When I enter for example filename.ocs it opens a file explorer save window but then throws the save window into the background behind the main Rhino window as it then serves the error dialog. I'm just realizing that my issue with Rhino hanging before was because this save dialog was open, but was behind the main Rhino window so Rhino wouldn't let me do anything but move the model around. Additionally when I try to save as an ORBX via this method I only get the error dialog and no file window.

Of course this is all a moot point now that I know I can save via the Settings context menu, but thought I'd report back incase it's unexpected behavior.

Best / Travis
trogers
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D