frustrating lighting

Forums: frustrating lighting
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

frustrating lighting

Postby alfabruce » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:02 am

alfabruce Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:02 am
Hi everyone,

Just need some help with lights.

Im rendering a scene inside a box so iwouldnt have thought the sun would make a difference.

When i turn off all my point lights there is still light inside the box. how does this happen.

The only way I can darken the box properly (and still not entirely) is by making the sun set but this doesnt really make sense.

Surely if the scene is in a box, the sun wont play a part.

When i turn the sun on and off, it makes no difference (which makes sense because its in a box) but it should be completely dark in the box if there is no sun and no internal lights.

This is driving me crazy, very hard to be efficient from a time pint of view when things seem to have a mind of their own.

Is the inside of the box lit by the light coming from the surfaces....but they are not emitters?

is there something im missing thats really obvious.

Really need some help here.

Cheers

Tim
Attachments
sun down below horizon and lights off.jpg
sun below horizon
sun on and lights off.jpg
sun on lights off
sun and lights off.jpg
sun off and lights off
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: frustrating lighting

Postby alfabruce » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:12 am

alfabruce Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:12 am
light warehouse floor small.png
darker floor
Also, when i turn on some lights that are not overly powerful, it has a strange effect.

If the warehouse floor is a light colour, the floow lights up all the waty to the back of the room which is shouldnt do with only those lights.

if i turn the floor a darker colour, the whole room goes dark which is to be expected.
Attachments
dark coloured warehouse floor small.png
lighter floor shouldnt light all the way to back?
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 am

face_off Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 am
Try reducing the Ray Epsilon - perhaps you have some intersecting vertices in the box which are causing some light leaking.

It should be very easy to track the source of the light by turning on the different light Render Passes and then viewing that pass to see if there is any light from that source.

If the warehouse floor is a light colour, the floow lights up all the waty to the back of the room which is shouldnt do with only those lights.
As Octane is using physical lights, I suspect that the diffuse color and reflection settings you are using WOULD result in the entire floor being illuminated.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby alfabruce » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:40 am

alfabruce Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:40 am
Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply.

I have reduced ray epsilon to nothing and it is still the same.

The only way I can reduce the light inside the box is by making the sun set below the horizon with the rhino sun setings but this doesnt make sense. There shouldnt be any light inside the box and even when i turn the sun off, it doesnt change.

All my render passes are turned off and all my lights are turned off and the box is a single item with no joins etc and there is still residual light inside and its still is effected by the sun placement outside.

How does this happen.

Cheers

Tim
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:28 am

face_off Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:28 am
Can you send me the scene pls Tim.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D