Rhino block .obj proxy bug

Forums: Rhino block .obj proxy bug
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Rhino block .obj proxy bug

Postby maray29 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 am

maray29 Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 am
When using obj as a proxy in Rhino blocks, Octane creates corresponding materials but when you render, it is just white, although all the textures are assigned in the material. In the preview thumbnail the materials appear to be white as well.
I have attached a screenshot of the materials. Let me know if you would need the files to replicate the bug. The only workaround I came up with is to create those materials manually and replace materials that Octane created automatically, however, after a purge those materials are gone and you would have to import them again.

Octane Rhino plugin version: 3.7.0.87
Rhino: 5 SR14 64-bit
Attachments
Octane-obj-bug.png
The textures are assigned (diffuse and opacity) but they are not regarded when rendered
maray29
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Rhino block .obj proxy bug

Postby face_off » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:59 pm

face_off Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:59 pm
Hi - the plugin will render all block instances with the Octane material you have assigned to the black definition. So I suspect you have assigned Magnolia_leaves to the black instance, rather than the block definition.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby maray29 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:04 am

maray29 Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:04 am
Hi Paul,

In fact I don't assign any materials, Octane does it automatically once I replace the block with .obj file and replicate it. I guess it picks up the textures from .mtl file but then the material is broken as shown in the screenshot and you have to manually recreate those materials.
maray29
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:19 pm

face_off Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:19 pm
Yes, you are right. Sorry, I misread your original question.

If you want more control over Proxy object materials, load the OBJ into Octane Standalone, tweak the materials, then save as an ORBX file, and load that as the proxy in the OctaneRender for Rhino plugin.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D