Purge bug -> please fix...

Forums: Purge bug -> please fix...
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Purge bug -> please fix...

Postby v-cube » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 pm

v-cube Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 pm
Hello Paul,

Here is a bug which is hunting me for quite some time now, finally I find the time to describe it.

purgebug-01.jpg

If look at the picture you will see that despite the fact that there is only one object in the scene the material editor is full of old "ghost" materials belonging to objects I deleted. I executed the purge command several times but the materials remain in the scene.
However when I reopen the scene and execute purge, the materials disappear. The problem for documenting the bug is that saving and reopening seams to heal that problem (not sure if this works always...) I send you the file anyway...

purgebug-01.zip
(6.68 MiB) Downloaded 214 times

another thing.. if you look at the filesize of this thing it appears to me that it is waaaayyyy to big for such a small file... almost if there are still some things in this file which are immune to purging or deleting...

best

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Purge bug -> please fix...

Postby face_off » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:57 am

face_off Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:57 am
If look at the picture you will see that despite the fact that there is only one object in the scene the material editor is full of old "ghost" materials belonging to objects I deleted. I executed the purge command several times but the materials remain in the scene.
However when I reopen the scene and execute purge, the materials disappear. The problem for documenting the bug is that saving and reopening seams to heal that problem (not sure if this works always...) I send you the file anyway...
This looks like a Rhino5 bug to me. May I suggest checking it on Rhino6 (there will be a plugin build for Rhino6 with the next Octane release). My initial guess as to why you need to reload the file before purging is that deleted geometry may be still in a cache (for Undo purposed), so therefore the materials for these geometry items will not be purged.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:58 am

face_off Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:58 am
face_off wrote:
This looks like a Rhino5 bug to me. May I suggest checking it on Rhino6 (there will be a plugin build for Rhino6 with the next Octane release). My initial guess as to why you need to reload the file before purging is that deleted geometry items may be still in a cache (for Undo purposes), so therefore the materials for these geometry items will not be purged.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 am

v-cube Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 am
Thanks for the answer Paul,

I found that the error reproduces very easy:

1. start a fresh new scene 2. create a box (or whatever...) 3. make it a Block 4. create a new octane material and assign it to the box inside the block with block edit. 5. delete the Block ( the scene is 100% empty) 6. execute purge command (make sure everoption is tuned to "yes") -> the material is still there despite the fact that there is no more object in the scene...

- using the "ClearUndo" command does not solve the problem.

- In my latest beta ((6.0.18012.13241, 12.01.2018) together with octane 3.7.0.86 the bug is also present

best

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 am

face_off Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 am
1. start a fresh new scene 2. create a box (or whatever...) 3. make it a Block 4. create a new octane material and assign it to the box inside the block with block edit. 5. delete the Block ( the scene is 100% empty) 6. execute purge command (make sure everoption is tuned to "yes") -> the material is still there despite the fact that there is no more object in the scene...
The plugin has no control over when an Octane Material is deleted, so I believe the problem you see is a bug in Rhino. I would recommend checking once the Rhino6 version of the plugin is available, since I doubt McNeel would investigate Rhino5 issues now.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 am

v-cube Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 am
just posted it on the rhino forum... fingers crossed that someone cares...

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/material ... d-r6/54832

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D