Orbx Proxy vs. Rhino block

Forums: Orbx Proxy vs. Rhino block
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Orbx Proxy vs. Rhino block

Postby v-cube » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:11 pm

v-cube Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:11 pm
Hello Paul,

In my projects I would love to use more orbx proxies, e.g. I hope they will help me to unclutter my material editor .
When I import a complex object like a car, I often end up with more than 20 extra materials, now lets say I need 5 different cars, 20 people , trees and so on ... you probably get the idea....

When I use an orbx object these materials do not appear on my material editor , which would make my life a lot easier.

However I have two problems, which prevent me from using the orbx proxies at all:

1. In contrast to the normal blocks the orbx proxies take much, much more time to load when I hit render, I think the time until I see a picture is sometimes 5 times longer, depending on the scene and the size and amount of proxies used of course. -> is there any chance this could be changed?

2. If I make copies of the block containers that have proxies assigned to them, I always have to use the replicate function to make them appear in the render window. This is a little cumbersome and can also take ages even for moderate numbers. Large numbers are so slow that it feels like rhino is freezing so it cannot really be used for grass or trees ...
-> can this be improved ?

If you want, I can create a test setup scene tomorrow.

Thank you for any feedback

Best regards

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Orbx Proxy vs. Rhino block

Postby face_off » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 am

face_off Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 am
1. In contrast to the normal blocks the orbx proxies take much, much more time to load when I hit render, I think the time until I see a picture is sometimes 5 times longer, depending on the scene and the size and amount of proxies used of course. -> is there any chance this could be changed?
ORBX proxies are being individual loaded for each block instance - so the same proxy is loaded multiple times. I will fix this in the next release.

2. If I make copies of the block containers that have proxies assigned to them, I always have to use the replicate function to make them appear in the render window. This is a little cumbersome and can also take ages even for moderate numbers. Large numbers are so slow that it feels like rhino is freezing so it cannot really be used for grass or trees ...
-> can this be improved ?
It may be possible to streamline this process. If you can put together a sample scene which has a long Replicate time, I can take a look.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:42 am

v-cube Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:42 am
If you can put together a sample scene which has a long Replicate time, I can take a look.

thanks Paul , I send you an PM...
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:38 am

face_off Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:38 am
The reason the Replicate takes so long to run is because it is loading and voxellising the ORBX proxy for every block instance. I will resolve this for ORBX/OCS proxies in the next release, but it will need to stay the way it is at the moment for OBJ proxies.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby prehabitat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 am

prehabitat Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:48 am
I love this stuff; so responsive!
Win10/3770/16gb/K600(display)/GTX780(Octane)/GTX590/372.70
Octane 3.x: GH Lands VARQ Rhino5 -Rhino.io- C4D R16 / Revit17
prehabitat
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 am

v-cube Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 am
face_off wrote:The reason the Replicate takes so long to run is because it is loading and voxellising the ORBX proxy for every block instance. I will resolve this for ORBX/OCS proxies in the next release, but it will need to stay the way it is at the moment for OBJ proxies.

Paul

That is supercool ! I would not have dared to think that it would be fixed so fast -> thanks !
For the obj. support: I personally do not use this anyway...
If you can also try to speed up the replicate process, this could be a real gamechanger for my 3D library management !

best

Andreas

P.S. on more (small) thing: when I hit the "load orbx" button on the geometry tab to assign an orbx to the block, the default file is set to "*.ocs" ... this is a bit confusing , could you please make the default file type *.orbx or make it so that both orbx and ocs are displayed and accepted ?
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 am

face_off Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 am
P.S. on more (small) thing: when I hit the "load orbx" button on the geometry tab to assign an orbx to the block, the default file is set to "*.ocs" ... this is a bit confusing , could you please make the default file type *.orbx or make it so that both orbx and ocs are displayed and accepted ?
Will do.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D