Rendering background image

Forums: Rendering background image
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Rendering background image

Postby alfabruce » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:23 am

alfabruce Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:23 am
Hi everyone,

Im trying to match up the colour, lighting, perspective etc of a spaceship sitting infront of a photography I took and are using as a background image.

I am using either

viewport properties/wallpaper and loading the photo there or
Display options/viewport settings and loading it there. Not sure which is better or maybe they are the same??

I am able to successfully export the image using the alpha image transparency and put it together in photoshop.

However, I am finding it very hard to make sure the colour and lighting and perspective etc match up.

Its a very long winded process to take the image out into photoshop, load it and copy paste ect into the image, then scale and review it to realise that there is not enough orange from the sun etc to match the background.

I would love to be able to do a rendering in the OCTANE RENDER VIEWPORT that show the background image behind it.

There is a thread here

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=45810

with several users expressing the same desire in another plugin. This thread asks about enabling the KEEP ENVIRONMENT in the KERNEL settings. I have tried this but only get a black background, no photos.

Is there something Im doing wrong here. Its this even possible in the RHINO version? Should I be using a render pass with ENVIRONMENT or INCLUDE ENVIRONMENT enabled?

I will still put the final image together in Photoshop but need to use the 'rough' preview in the octane render viewport to help me get it looking correct.

Cheers

Tim

Rhino octane backgrounds4.jpg
Attachments
Rhino octane backgrounds 3.jpg
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Rendering background image

Postby face_off » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:45 am

face_off Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:45 am
Hi - this is a limitation with Octane - in that it does not same the background image with the PNG. However it is worth considering that if you use a background plate, the lighting is never going to match the rendered geometry, so it is not going to be as realistic as if you took a 360 degree lat/long shot of the beach. To do exact matched of the background plate, have a look at http://photomatch.phantomtechnology.nl/.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby alfabruce » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:41 am

alfabruce Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:41 am
Hi Paul,

Is there no way of combining these in a draft image type of thing, i know it would be a huge plus for the type of thing i am doing. The other tread for the other plugin removed it and then added it back in again as lots of people seem to find it very useful.

Cheers

Tim
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:28 am

face_off Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:28 am
Is there no way of combining these in a draft image type of thing, i know it would be a huge plus for the type of thing i am doing. The other tread for the other plugin removed it and then added it back in again as lots of people seem to find it very useful.
It's not something that could be easily implemented in the Rhino plugin Tim. I am hoping the upcoming Octane Image API enhancement will allow for the background image to be composited into the render though, so stay tuned....

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby formatio » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:30 am

formatio Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:30 am
Hey

I did this image using background image and then combining everything in photoshop with couple of touches here and there.
Attachments
altana-teak.jpg
formatio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby alfabruce » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:53 pm

alfabruce Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:53 pm
Thats looks good Formatio. Im quite happywith the results I get using the current workflow, its just the time and going back and forth that I find a little frustrating.

Paul, that tweak sounds promising. I look forward to seeing it.

Cheers

Tim
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D