Realtime preview texture

Forums: Realtime preview texture
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Realtime preview texture

Postby fabrizio_s » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:47 am

fabrizio_s Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:47 am
Hi,,
is there a way to see the texture I use in a octane material?
if not, it would be very useful to see texture and realtime changing (for example: when I change gamma or brightness I'd like to understand what happens to the original texture).

thanx

fabrizio
fabrizio_s
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Realtime preview texture

Postby face_off » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:55 pm

face_off Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:55 pm
Hi - yes - I would like to see this too. However I have not been able to come up with a solution that works in an acceptable fashion, since if you are rendering a scene, you cannot then also render a separate geometry item with the Octane material you are editing for the material preview, and a material preview would need it's own lighting. Hopefully in the future it's something that I can implement.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fabrizio_s » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:40 pm

fabrizio_s Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:40 pm
Hi Paul and thaks for your reply.

maybe i'm sayng a non sense but perhaps it would be enough to see the maps before the start of the rendering and for me it would be enough to see the maps without render the Octane material like I would in Photoshop or in another image viewer (like Blender do)

bye

fabrizio
fabrizio_s
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 am

face_off Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 am
Can you be more specific with what you are looking for pls? Do you want a popup when you mouseover the filename, or a Rhino tab for the image preview, or a preview button next to the image filename button in the Node Info box? If it's a popup - where on the screen should it popup? In general, and popup will over over the part of the screen you want to see, so can be frustrating :-)

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fabrizio_s » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:59 pm

fabrizio_s Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:59 pm
Hi Paul,
thanks for your patience ;-)
I don't want to stress you but if you give me carte blanche here it is what I'd like to have in Octane. Obviusly I'm not a programmer so i don't know if these ideas are too much time spending for you or too hard to implement or impossible.

I'm trying to explain my idea. I'd like a popup window resizable like the Octane Render Viewport. It is resizable so I can position everywhere in the screen. Moreover it doesn't work when octane render viewport is open.
To open the window you should click on the icons in the "tree" material that I have highlight in the pic on the left. So when I click on an icon I could see the popup with the texture modified by the values of the item (if I click on the upper icon I could see the texture with color correction, multiplier and power and gamma applied; if i click on the medium icon I could see the texture modified by multiplier and power and gamma; if i click on the bottom icon I could see the texture modified by power and gamma).

The icons on the top of the popup are (starting from left)

1- change between modified texture and original texture (when I say texture I suppose a pic, or colour ...even a procedural texture if possible)
2 - zoom in zoom out (by mouse wheel or even with ALT + and ALT - as in photoshop)
3 - pan (by RIGHT click of the mouse, as in rhino, or SPACE BAR and LEFT CLICK of the mouse as in Photoshop) )
4 - Colour dropper to verify the colour (as in Photoshop)

On the Top of the window, there is the name of the file and the zoom percentage
On the bottom the details of the image (if a procedural texture an indication of the size in mm to understand the dimension of the effect)

Thanks again for you great support

Bye

fabrizio_s
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 pm

face_off Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 pm
Thanks for the detailed information. The plugin could popup the Image Node (ie. "Input Texture : Fabric.....") since it is a bitmap that can be loaded and displayed. However the Multiply Texture and Color Correction node could not use this approach, since they modify the texture (and I assume you want to see the result of that modification). But another approach might be to have Octane render a preview bitmap for those nodes (which would look like the material render preview you get when selecting one of these nodes in Octane Standalone). It would take a few seconds to render the preview - but because the Octane Viewport is not open, this would be fine. Would that satisfy your requirement?

As for the pan, zoom, etc, hopefully they would already be on whatever bitmap panel library object I use (but not certain on this yet).

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fabrizio_s » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 am

fabrizio_s Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 am
Hi Paul,
it sounds great!!!! Yes, it satisfies my requirements!!!

Only one thing...as I said in my previews post, is it possible to compare the texture before and after modification?

Thanks again

fabrizio
fabrizio_s
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 pm

face_off Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 pm
I have implemented a very simple node previewer in the next release of the plugin. The plugin needs to generate the preview bitmap, which is not fast, so you may or may not find this to be of value. If it is of value, I can add some additional features later.

Only one thing...as I said in my previews post, is it possible to compare the texture before and after modification?
The preview window will need to be closed before it can open again - so I'm not sure this would be trivial to implement. The render preview is on a sphere - so before and after comparisons may not be valid. But try the next release and let me know.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fabrizio_s » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:58 pm

fabrizio_s Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:58 pm
Ok!!!

bye
fabrizio_s
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fabrizio_s » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:07 am

fabrizio_s Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:07 am
Hi Paul,
I tried to play with this new feature and i like it very much!! Yes, it isn't super fast to render the preview but for me is good enough.
But..multiply texture...now it has 2 texture (default: one is not connected and one is rgb)? And it seems not to work properly with preview node. Evenmore if I put an image on texture 1 ...after I can't disconnect it.

bye

fabrizio
fabrizio_s
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Rhinoceros 3D