Material editor questions

Forums: Material editor questions
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Material editor questions

Postby alfabruce » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:28 am

alfabruce Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:28 am
Hi guys,

just wondering if im struggling here through inexperience with the upgrade to the newest version.

I can seem to see the materials when i click on the properties tab.

no material 1.jpg
cant see the material sphere

I thought it would pop up and give me access to importing the live DB etc etc.

I can get it to show the material sphere only by selecting 'by object' not by layer.

I can also go to setting and load the material tab as a separate one on the far right but this doesnt seem very efficient.
no material 1.jpg

Am I doing this the long way? Just seems a bit complicated.

no material 1.jpg

Cheers

Tim
Attachments
no material 3.jpg
no material 2.jpg
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Material editor questions

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:46 am

face_off Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:46 am
Hi Tim - have you checked out the manual page at https://docs.otoy.com/manuals/products/rhino/v3/octanerender-setup-window-materials-tab/? It explains how to add new Octane materials and accessing the LiveDb.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby alfabruce » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:11 am

alfabruce Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:11 am
Hi Paul,

Yes quite a few times but its not doing what it says.

There is no load from DB button underneath the materials node editor as per the manual

I cant find the "change all materials to octane materials" button to swap from rhino to octane materials

I get nothing if i go to the Rhino object properties button and select my object. if i look onthe rainbow donut it tell me its an extrusion etc, but if i select the materials paint tube button there is nothing. I can only get infor if I bring up the paint tube materials button as a separate tab across the top as per the images I attached.

Not sure if that makes sense but yeah , I have been through the materials instructions a few times and it doesnt seem to do what its should.

Cheers

Tim
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:38 am

face_off Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:38 am
Hi Tim - is it possible you are looking at the wrong manual? And am looking at the link I posted above and it covers your questions....

There is no load from DB button underneath the materials node editor as per the manual
See the "Importing/Exporting Materials" section of that manual page - the screenshot shows the LiveDb menu option in the Import menu.

I cant find the "change all materials to octane materials" button to swap from rhino to octane materials
Quoting from that page....You can also convert ALL non-Octane materials used in the scene to Octane materials using the “Convert All Materials To Octane Materials” rightclick option on the plugin Settings tab.

I get nothing if i go to the Rhino object properties button and select my object. if i look onthe rainbow donut it tell me its an extrusion etc, but if i select the materials paint tube button there is nothing.
I suspect you have the material assignment by Parent rather than Object. As per the manual link posted above...."IMPORTANT: The OctaneRender plugin requires Rhino geometry items have materials assigned By Layer or By Object. Assigning materials By Parent may give unexpected results."

Hope that helps.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D