Upgraded to V3 & newPC now old scenes missing materials&maps

Forums: Upgraded to V3 & newPC now old scenes missing materials&maps
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Upgraded to V3 & newPC now old scenes missing materials&maps

Postby alfabruce » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:06 am

alfabruce Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:06 am
Hi Everyone,

Ive lost all the materials/maps/textures from previous scenes and projects and as you can imagine, Im a little concerned.
Ive just upgraded to the latest release of the standalone and Rhino plugin.
I have also built a new PC.
Unfortunately, now when I go and load a previous scene, some of which are still in progress and have had a great deal of time getting materials/textures etc just how I want them, they are missing their materials and show only a default flat Rhino material.

Is there a way to repath or redirect the material editor etc so that it find the old locations (which is now possible named a different drive). I have had a hunt around but cant seem to locate it. I was hoping there may be a way of redirecting/remapping the entire scenes paths as a batch etc.

Im very hesitant as you can imagine to have to go and replace and redesign every scene and this is also something Id like to know now so that I can arrange and prepare my workflow and storage to guard against a similar thing happening inthe future as Im sure building new machines is a fairly common thing these days for all of us.

im hoping someone has done something similar recently and has found a solution.

Cheers

Tim
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Upgraded to V3 & newPC now old scenes missing materials&maps

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:00 pm

face_off Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:00 pm
Hi Tim

Unfortunately, now when I go and load a previous scene, some of which are still in progress and have had a great deal of time getting materials/textures etc just how I want them, they are missing their materials and show only a default flat Rhino material.
A lot has changed between version 1 and version 3 of the plugin. The general assumption is that people upgrade from version 1 to 2 of the plugin (which will bring across all materials), and then upgrade from version 2 to 3, which also brings across all materials. I have never tried bringing a version 1 scene into version 3 of the plugin - do I would have thought most materials would load OK. Keep in mind you are also running a much later version of Rhino, so there might have been changes in the Rhino material system which is causing you issues.

Is there a way to repath or redirect the material editor etc so that it find the old locations (which is now possible named a different drive). I have had a hunt around but cant seem to locate it. I was hoping there may be a way of redirecting/remapping the entire scenes paths as a batch etc.
If all the missing texturemaps are in one folder, you just need to specify that folder to search for the missing texturemaps and all other missing texturemaps will be relinked. Otherwise you will need to find each missing texturemap individually.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby alfabruce » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:09 pm

alfabruce Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:09 pm
Hi Paul,

I spose this was part of the reason I was keen to install the earlier versions of the plugin and get back to where I was. Is it possible now to go back and uninstall version 3 and install version 2 as a transition to fix the materials?

What concerns me is that many of the materials were direct from the Live Db and I would have hoped that they would still load in the same fashion.

What part of this do you think is the fact that I have a new PC. Do I need to make sure the old drive is still labelled the same etc. All the files or scenes and the textures maps etc are on the same SSD.

Cheers

Tim
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:13 pm

face_off Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:13 pm
Hi Tim - I suspect it is more an issue of having a different folder structure on the new PC than the jump from Octane 1 to Octane 3. If you can tell me the version you saved with, the version you are loading into, the Octane Log after opening the Viewport on the Octane 3 version, and screenshots of the materials that have not converted, I might be able to help more.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby alfabruce » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:20 am

alfabruce Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:20 am
Hi Paul,

Thanks Mate. Any help will be much appreciated and save a massive heaps of work.

Ive sent you by email a simple file with the previous rendering and the rhino file and screen shots and also the receipts for my versions.

I am now using the most up to date version of rhino, octane and the rhino plugin.

I was previously using plug in 1.1 from 13 nov 2013.

Cheers

Tim
alfabruce
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Rhinoceros 3D