OctaneRender 3 for Rhino (OBSOLETE)

Forums: OctaneRender 3 for Rhino (OBSOLETE)
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender 3 for Rhino (TEST and STABLE)

Postby face_off » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 am

face_off Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 am
I tried switching graphic cards (I have 2 so I usually only direct Octane to use the more powerful one).

1. That one has recently been throwing Cuda errors.
2. I tried the other one buy itself ... Cuda errors
3. Both together ... Cuda errors.

Does this imply that both my cards Cuda cores are toast? No other software I use is having any problems.

I know that hardware is not your specialty .. perhaps you might ask a associate?
Eric - when asking these questions, it is essential that you provide the information requested at the top of this thread.

EDIT: The stats in your signature do not look right - I doubt Octane would run on that Nvidia driver version.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Wishes and suggestions

Postby v-cube » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 am

v-cube Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 am
Hello Paul,

I have been buried by work for the last month, so I had not have the opportunity to write in the forum, as things are right now I might have more time one my hands now ;-)
We did a number of large projects and although we upgraded the hardware considerably, ran into several problems and situations which I think could maybe be solved by adapting a few things...
Since I am not a programmer, please forgive me if some things I might consider easy to implement are in fact not, after all it is just my gut feeling and my experience based on other software.

I also found a few bugs and will try to isolate and reproduce them as best as I can before posting , although this is sometimes not so easy e.g. I get an error message, after restarting rhino /the machine the problem seems to be gone...

octane wish 01.jpg

So for a the sake of a better structure I will divide my wishes into separate posts starting with the next one ... I guess this is the right thread ?

P.S. I really love the new option to "steal" the rendering nodes from my employees -> great stuff!

best

Andreas
Last edited by v-cube on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

wish -> better viewport translation

Postby v-cube » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 am

v-cube Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 am
Hello Paul,

One thing that would help me alot would be to be able to tell octane which texture or color should be handed over to the rhino viewport display. As far as I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong here ...)
there is one hidden Rhino material resembling each octane material. E.g. when we have a simple diffuse octane material with a bitmap texture in the diffuse node , this texture shown in the rhino viewport (when the display is tuned to shaded and "use rendering material")
Once this texture is placed e.g. in a multiple material it is no longer visible in the viewport :-(

My suggestion would be to have a function to select the node and then do a rightclick on it and select an option like "show this color / texture in viewport".
Such a feature would also be very handy for a lot of situations where you only want to have a certain texture temporarily visible e.g. to align it.

I hope it's not to complicated ...

best

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

wish -> faster thumbnails

Postby v-cube » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:09 am

v-cube Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:09 am
Hello Paul,

here is my second wish for today...

when we do large projects, we often end up with a lot of materials, mainly because of the vast number of staffage we have to put in our scenes (trees, people, cars...) the material count exceeds 100 Materials most of the time...
The problem is, that often it feels like forever before the material tab comes up and all thumbnails are rendered.
We tried to deal with the problem in several ways, ( external reference scenes, no auto thumbnail update, treeview...) but still there is often a lot of lag which kills the workflow...

So is there a possibility to implement something in the octane settings like "Thumbnail render quality -> fine-good-middle- fast-very fast" so that the user has the possibility to speed up the rendering process of the thumbnails?

thank you for your feedback

best

Andreas
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby eric_clough » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:51 pm

eric_clough Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:51 pm
Hi Paul ...

Referring back to my question.

Regardless of what graphics combination I use to run Octane I get Cuda errors.
I did not really understand your last response. So far as I know I am running with the latest Nvidea drivers.

eric

Octane for Rhino 3.6.4.83
Rhino 5.14.522.8390 5/22/2017
Intel core 17 950
Win 10 pro 64 bit
GeForce 640 and 670
16GB ram
2 Dell monitors
Win 8.1,16GB,i7,GeForce GTX760(4GB),(GeForce 334.89 driver, GeForce GT640(4GB) Dual 27" monitors
eric_clough
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby eric_clough » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:24 pm

eric_clough Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:24 pm
Hi Paul ...

I think the problem may be resolved.. I got on a chat line with Nvidea support and he sent me a driver download that is not shown in their download list online. I worked with it for about 15 minutes trying to create an error message but did not get one. We'll see as I go along to redo and finish this rendering. The owner has made some changes that will probably require rebuilding the model so it will get a good test.

Thanks for your help.
eric
Win 8.1,16GB,i7,GeForce GTX760(4GB),(GeForce 334.89 driver, GeForce GT640(4GB) Dual 27" monitors
eric_clough
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: wish -> faster thumbnails

Postby fabrizio_s » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:38 pm

fabrizio_s Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:38 pm
v-cube wrote:Hello Paul,

here is my second wish for today...

when we do large projects, we often end up with a lot of materials, mainly because of the vast number of staffage we have to put in our scenes (trees, people, cars...) the material count exceeds 100 Materials most of the time...
The problem is, that often it feels like forever before the material tab comes up and all thumbnails are rendered.
We tried to deal with the problem in several ways, ( external reference scenes, no auto thumbnail update, treeview...) but still there is often a lot of lag which kills the workflow...

So is there a possibility to implement something in the octane settings like "Thumbnail render quality -> fine-good-middle- fast-very fast" so that the user has the possibility to speed up the rendering process of the thumbnails?

thank you for your feedback

best

Andreas

Hi,
I asked to Paul the same thing and, if I don't wrong, Paul said to me that it's a rhino issue.

bye
fabrizio_s
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:47 am

face_off Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:47 am
Hi Andreas

One thing that would help me alot would be to be able to tell octane which texture or color should be handed over to the rhino viewport display.
The tree structure used for Octane materials is stored as Octane nodes - so adding additional info (like "Use this texture as the diffuse texture in the Rhino preview") would be a very difficult thing to implement - sorry.

As Fabrizio indicated - Rhino controls the generation of thumbnails, so there are limited options for me to change this in the code. I had thought if you turn off thumbnails completely, large scenes load into the Material list quickly, but clearly you are not finding that. Would a configuration option to turn off thumbnail generation by Octane help? Also - did you follow the instructions of FAQ question 12? https://docs.otoy.com/Rhinoceros_Plugin_Manual_HTML5/RhinocerosPluginManual.htm#Rhinoceros/Rhinoceros_Plugin_Manual/FAQ.htm%3FTocPath%3D_____12

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fabrizio_s » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:36 pm

fabrizio_s Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:36 pm
Hi Paul,
we could try to ask to McNeel to solve the material preview issue but maybe if you ask as OTOY coder, McNeel takes this request into consideration.

Material previews is really really slow and frustrating

bye

Fabrizio
fabrizio_s
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:42 pm

v-cube Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:42 pm
Hello Paul,

thank you for your feedback!

As Fabrizio indicated - Rhino controls the generation of thumbnails, so there are limited options for me to change this in the code. I had thought if you turn off thumbnails completely, large scenes load into the Material list quickly, but clearly you are not finding that. Would a configuration option to turn off thumbnail generation by Octane help? Also - did you follow the instructions of FAQ question 12? https://docs.otoy.com/Rhinoceros_Plugin ... %3D_____12

Paul

Yes, most of the time I have auto update unchecked... I think I will revert from using thumbnails at all and switch permanently to the text based tree view.
While this is basically OK and has the additional benefit of being able to sort the materials in alphabetical order it lacks the functionality to indicate which material is used by the currently selected object (I already posted this here and in the Rhino group, I think this has been addressed in the current Rhino 6 WIP...)

What I do not really understand is that I always thought that the thumbnail renderings are generated by the octane engine which would of course make sense ... if this is so than I wonder why I is not possible to influence the quality/speed of this...

The tree structure used for Octane materials is stored as Octane nodes - so adding additional info (like "Use this texture as the diffuse texture in the Rhino preview") would be a very difficult thing to implement - sorry.

well that is very bad news then, because it is a very important and basic functionality IMHO, my current workaround is to temporary place the texture I want to examine or modify in the diffuse slot and exchange it when i am done but this is very cumbersome...

best

Andreas
Last edited by v-cube on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Rhinoceros 3D