viewport aspect ratio >< rendered aspect ratio

Forums: viewport aspect ratio >< rendered aspect ratio
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: viewport aspect ratio >< rendered aspect ratio

Postby frisog » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:41 am

frisog Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:41 am
Hi Paul,

I tested the v3 Demo. The problem is still the same,

attached a file so hopefully you can see the issue.

If you resize the render viewport, the render changes. This makes the it very unpredictable and scary to change anything in the layout, which you do all the time when working with Rhino.

See attached images showing the difference and the attache rhino file. (in the next post. Somehow I keep getting a recaptcha when i want to upload.)

Thanks a lot for having a look at it.
frisog
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frisog » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:44 am

frisog Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:44 am
Uploading doesn't work. So here a google drive link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

frisog wrote:Hi Paul,

If you resize the render viewport, the render changes. This makes the it very unpredictable and scary to change anything in the layout, which you do all the time when working with Rhino.

See attached images showing the difference and the attache rhino file. (in the next post. Somehow I keep getting a recaptcha when i want to upload.)

frisog
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frisog » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:45 am

frisog Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:45 am
You can reproduce the problem by starting a render, and then while rendering resizing the viewport that is rendered.

frisog wrote:Uploading doesn't work. So here a google drive link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

frisog wrote:Hi Paul,

frisog
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frisog » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:03 pm

frisog Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:03 pm
Attached an illustration showing the problem.
problem-viewport-render-show.jpg
Illustration of the problem.
frisog
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:39 pm

face_off Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:39 pm
You can reproduce the problem by starting a render, and then while rendering resizing the viewport that is rendered.
Unless I am m misunderstanding your problem - this is the intended functionality, and the "roaming Rhino camera" is a Rhino issue rather than an Octane plugin problem (http://v5.rhino3d.com/forum/topics/view-lock and https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/how-can-lock-perspective-view-copy-a-text-from-rhino-and-edit-this-text/4813/6). The plugin sync's the Octane camera to the Rhino camera position of whichever viewport you have selected in Rhino. The Rhino camera position is panning when you change the Rhino viewport width. As Dottedline indicates, you should do the Octane render from a new viewport which always has the same aspect ratio - which will get around this issue....

1) Create New Viewport
2) Set View->Perspective
3) Save the new view as a named view. If you click Lock View, each time you select this view it will revert to the same camera position (http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/namedview.htm)
4) Open the Viewport - which will use the new named view if selected
5) Enter the second two commands listed by DottedLine above if you want the named viewport fixed to a certain size
6) You can click the Lock View button on the Octane Viewport to stop the camera changing to other Rhino viewports when you click on them

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:33 pm

face_off Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:33 pm
After posting the above, I realised there is a much easier way to do this....

Create a new Rhino perspective viewport
Open the Octane Viewport
Click the Camera Viewport Navigation button on the Octane Viewport - the Octane camera coordinates are now locked in, so you can move the Rhino viewport as required
If you have multiple camera positions you want to render from, rightclick the Settings tree and Save Rendertarget To View to lock the camera to that specific view and create other views

Hope that helps

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Micha3D » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:18 am

Micha3D Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:18 am
I'm impressed how long we can talk about this little problem. A problem that I never have seen at any other render engine at Rhino. I'm curious when it will be fixed so that is simple works. Paul, why not try to go the Rhino way and adapt Octane instead to adapt the user?
Win7 64 | Dual Xeon E5-2687W | GTX 1080ti 11GB + GTX 780 6GB | Rhino3D
Micha3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frisog » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:41 am

frisog Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:41 am
Micha3D wrote:I'm impressed how long we can talk about this little problem. A problem that I never have seen at any other render engine at Rhino. I'm curious when it will be fixed so that is simple works. Paul, why not try to go the Rhino way and adapt Octane instead to adapt the user?

Thanks Paul en Micha3D for your replies.

@Micha3D, glad to hear I'm indeed not the only one dealing with this. Indeed with vray, or maxwell or thearender I don't have that problem.

Perhaps Octane can have a look at their approach. For now I will try that workaround.
frisog
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frisog » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:07 am

frisog Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:07 am
v-cube wrote:-viewportproperties
s
ENTER
OctaneRenderOpenViewport

what v-cube said before improves for now the workflow. See also attached image where I made a button for A4 aspect ratio renders..

When you click the button it will change to the correct aspect ratio and start rendering with the octane resolution. Make sure that octane also is set to the same aspect ratio.
Attachments
makeA4button.png
make aspect ratio button
frisog
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Cosoli » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Cosoli Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:17 pm
hI Paul

Recently, I want to buy Octane for Rhino, but this issue let me think twice

(I have the same issue in Octane for Revit= =)

It seems to me that "keep the same viewport aspect ratio" is really important , It can save a lot of time in our workflow.

I have Maxwell for revit and Thea for sketchup , they both can keep the same viewport aspect ratio when render

I really like Octane, but in many cases, I have no time to reset each scene in Revit (especially, in Revit Chinese version, it's no way to save any scene and material.......................)

So, if your team can resolve this issue I think you can get more customers
(By the way I really suggest that to improve Octane Standalone UI, add "replace materials" function and some viewport navigation tool would be cool~)

Thanks~
Cosoli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Rhinoceros 3D