OctaneRender 2 for Rhino (OBSOLETE)

Forums: OctaneRender 2 for Rhino (OBSOLETE)
Rhino 3D (Export script developed by SamPage; Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Re: OctaneRender for Rhino Beta 2.06 [TEST]

Postby face_off » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 am

face_off Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 am
I have refreshed the installers at the top of this thread with:

- Compiled against Octane 2.06
- Added fix to stop the Octane tree control from frashing while rendering
- Color picker dialog now remembers it's last position
- Added Rhino commands "OctaneRenderOpenViewport" and "OctaneRenderCloseViewport" to open and close the viewport

I need to also do some work on the "Sync Octane to Rhino Environment". At the moment this mode is not saved in the Rhino scene - and there are some other complexities which need to be addressed. So you will see some changes with this in the next few weeks.

I have also done some work on exporting a full Bongo animation to OCS/ORBX for rendering with Vertex Motion Blur in Octane Standalone. I am looking for a Bongo test scene, which has both object and camera movement - so if you have something like this, pls send it to me.

Thanks

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby eric_clough » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:10 pm

eric_clough Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:10 pm
Hi Paul ...

I have just downloaded the latest version (12) so the problem may be resolved but ... as I reported a few days ago Octane for Rhino seems to lose a setting that allows a dynamic viewport. As you pointed out it can be fixed by deleting the 'config' file and reactivating Octane ... but that is somewhat of a nuisance as well as a time waster.
This was happening in build 11 ... I hope it has vanished.

cheers
eric
Win 8.1,16GB,i7,GeForce GTX760(4GB),(GeForce 334.89 driver, GeForce GT640(4GB) Dual 27" monitors
eric_clough
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:52 pm

face_off Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:52 pm
as I reported a few days ago Octane for Rhino seems to lose a setting that allows a dynamic viewport. As you pointed out it can be fixed by deleting the 'config' file and reactivating Octane ... but that is somewhat of a nuisance as well as a time waster.
Hi Eric - you should only have to delete config.xml once. Is this problem repeating? If so - can you provide more details/screenshots pls?

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby eric_clough » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:18 pm

eric_clough Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:18 pm
Hi Paul ...

This does not seem to be repeating in build 12.

I do have another small problem, though. I downloaded a purchased plant file ... an .obj grass model. I cannot seem to assign a new color to it. I have tried any number of materials both created and loaded from the online db.

Rhino seems to accept the material but the image does not change. Other .obj plants I have downloaded do not seem to have that problem.

Any hints?

thanks
eric
Win 8.1,16GB,i7,GeForce GTX760(4GB),(GeForce 334.89 driver, GeForce GT640(4GB) Dual 27" monitors
eric_clough
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:26 am

face_off Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:26 am
I do have another small problem, though. I downloaded a purchased plant file ... an .obj grass model. I cannot seem to assign a new color to it. I have tried any number of materials both created and loaded from the online db.

Rhino seems to accept the material but the image does not change. Other .obj plants I have downloaded do not seem to have that problem.

Any hints?
Try opening the Viewport and then using the material picker to select the material. Then change the color of that material.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:06 am

face_off Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:06 am
The link below is for a test build which includes some new features not ready for the STABLE build. I would love feedback on the import ORBX material function.

- Added additional checks to ensure the Viewport is visible on a screen after using two monitors
- Added option to import a material from an Octane Standalone ORBX file. The ORBX file must have one single material not connected to a mesh in order for the inport to work. This option is available via an addition button next to the LiveDb button on the Materials panel
- The "Sync Octane Environment to Rhino Environment" setting is now saved with the Rhino scene
- Other internal changes for features soon to be released

http://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/OctaneRender_for_Rhino5_2_6_0_14_64bit.exe

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender for Rhino Beta 2.06 [STABLE]

Postby eric_clough » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:24 am

eric_clough Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:24 am
Hi Paul

As often happens when I update Rhino or a plug-in I lose my displayed toolbars (my 2nd monitor is covered with the ones I normally use regularly).

As soon as I reinstalled the toolbars I rendered a small 4 plex I am currently working on. The Octane window popped right up and rendered well.

thanks,
eric
eric_clough
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:26 am

face_off Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:26 am
Just a quick note to say the latest version of the plugin requires Rhino SR9 (build 40609). If will update the post at the top of this thread to reflect this.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:48 am

face_off Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:48 am
The link below is a small update to the TEST build.

- Fixed minor issue where converted Rhino materials to Octane materials may not pick up the texturemap (this issue was introduced in the previous TEST build)

http://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/OctaneRender_for_Rhino5_2_6_0_15_64bit.exe

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby v-cube » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:22 am

v-cube Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:22 am
Hello Paul,

just finished another project with octane and I just want to say that the program is working very smooth, thank you for that!

If I am lucky I will probably find some time next week to report a few minor problems that are slowing down my workflow a bit, most are interface issues.

So for a start here is my first wish:

I see that after doing the right button material conversion in the octane window the materials are named like "octane XXX". While generally this is a good thing, the material names become somewhat long and are sometimes not easy to identify e.g. when they appear in a narrow column like in the rhino layer dialog or even in the octane material editor ( please see picture...)

matEditor.png

So I think there are several ways this could be handled better:

1. instead of renaming the materials "octane XXX" they could be renamed to "XXX-O". by adding the characters "-O" at the end of the name the first letters would still represent the meaning of the material (like "concrete-O" ,"Wood01-O"...) making them easier to identify even when the word is not displayed 100 %

2. (not that important...)It would be nice to have an option to turn of the renaming at all, since sometimes it is not necessary and only clutters up things.

best regards

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Rhinoceros 3D