out for ram and crash

Forums: out for ram and crash
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

out for ram and crash

Postby nico_cad » Thu May 18, 2023 11:55 am

nico_cad Thu May 18, 2023 11:55 am
hi boys!!
i've a problem with a scene.
think 10gb vram on rtx 3080 go full!
but i've see this windows.
How do these values work?
have 32gb ram.
thanks
nico
Attachments
222.jpg
222.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 3620 times
nico_cad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: out for ram and crash

Postby glimpse » Thu May 18, 2023 12:08 pm

glimpse Thu May 18, 2023 12:08 pm
the question if You run out of RAM (system memory) or VRAM (video memory on Your card)

Fire up something like MSI afterburner and keep Your eye on usage of Your system resources.

once You get a clear idea of what is happening You have few options:

* in case of low RAM, system memory, simply turn off everything that You do not use in the background - like other software, even web browsers.. - You get the point.
* if that does not help, start optimizing Your scene - that's simply put the price of resources - You either buy better system or spend more of Your time optimizing files (which one is a better option it's up to You)

* if You run out of VRAM, You can do some things as well. Enabling OOC (out of core) would help, if You have some spare RAM (system memory). this functionality allows You to place part of Your scene, usually textures into system memory. You might loose some speed, like RTX boost, but at least You should be able to render (if You are still fitting into RAM).
* another option, again, to optimize. Lower resolution of Your textures, optimize meshes and so.

one thing to remember is that running close to the edge of VRAM could be a bit unstable, getting into OCC could have render speed impact.. so optimizations are always welcome as they improve every aspect of Your work, from simple navigation, refresh, stability to render times.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Thu May 18, 2023 12:15 pm

glimpse Thu May 18, 2023 12:15 pm
as for Your screenshot

RAM limit points to how much RAM You allow OctaneRender to use - and that's very much scene dependent and what You are doing with Your system and such. For instance if You allow 10GB to be use out of 32 You have. and Your browser uses 20GB..- most likely You run into issues before You even start rendering.. as preparation of the scene to fil 10GB card and flow over would probably be more than You have in total.. - so again, start looking into resource monitoring apps and see what You have and where You are hitting the wall.

as for headroom, this is simple parameter that controls how much space should be left in VRAM before scene data would start to go to RAM. as pointed before in the other comment, if You are too close to the edge, You might have stability issues, however if Your scene is pushed out of VRAM to RAM too fast, You might loose render speed, so it's a balancing act and it's scene dependent. Sometimes optimizing few textures and keeping less headroom could lead to rendering few times faster, than not optimizing and pushing part of the scene to out of core and then rendering few times slower..

hope it makes sense.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nico_cad » Fri May 19, 2023 8:07 am

nico_cad Fri May 19, 2023 8:07 am
glimpse wrote:as for Your screenshot

RAM limit points to how much RAM You allow OctaneRender to use - and that's very much scene dependent and what You are doing with Your system and such. For instance if You allow 10GB to be use out of 32 You have. and Your browser uses 20GB..- most likely You run into issues before You even start rendering.. as preparation of the scene to fil 10GB card and flow over would probably be more than You have in total.. - so again, start looking into resource monitoring apps and see what You have and where You are hitting the wall.

as for headroom, this is simple parameter that controls how much space should be left in VRAM before scene data would start to go to RAM. as pointed before in the other comment, if You are too close to the edge, You might have stability issues, however if Your scene is pushed out of VRAM to RAM too fast, You might loose render speed, so it's a balancing act and it's scene dependent. Sometimes optimizing few textures and keeping less headroom could lead to rendering few times faster, than not optimizing and pushing part of the scene to out of core and then rendering few times slower..

hope it makes sense.

thanks for explain.

unfortunately I have already optimized everything to the maximum.
the resolution is not very high (2000x1000), the only thing left for me to replace are the instances of the trees that are very heavy.
nico_cad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Lewis » Fri May 19, 2023 10:35 am

Lewis Fri May 19, 2023 10:35 am
Are you using Denoiser ?

IF yes then, increase GPU headroom (400-500 MB instead 300), Denoiser needs real VRAM, can't work with OOC (System memory).

Also Enable OOC checkmark.

cheers
--
Lewis
http://www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

WS AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090, 1 * RTX 3090
RS1 i7 9800X, 64GB RAM, Win10, 3 * RTX 3090
RS2 i7 6850K, 64GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090
Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nico_cad » Fri May 19, 2023 2:57 pm

nico_cad Fri May 19, 2023 2:57 pm
have tested it:
1. enable OOC texture;
2. used 10GB RAM Usage Limit
3. GPU Head Room 1000MB

in attachments during rendering.
use denoise.

;) :shock:
Attachments
Cattura.PNG
Cattura.PNG (5.56 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
nico_cad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixym » Wed May 24, 2023 4:35 pm

pixym Wed May 24, 2023 4:35 pm
Hi,
I have had this kind of issue by the past.
Decrease the OpenGL display value to minimum value in Layout and modeler (if launched or better quit modeler) and retry to render.
Work Station : MB ASUS X299-Pro/SE - Intel i9 7980XE (2,6ghz 18 cores / 36 threads) - 32GB - 2 GTX 1080 TI - Win 10 64
NET RENDER : MB Biostar TB250-BTC Pro - Celeron 2C/2T - Open "Mining" Rig - 2 RTX 2080 TI - Win 7
pixym
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nico_cad » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am

nico_cad Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am
pixym wrote:Hi,
I have had this kind of issue by the past.
Decrease the OpenGL display value to minimum value in Layout and modeler (if launched or better quit modeler) and retry to render.

thanks...i think the problem is this customer and his negativity charme :mrgreen: :evil: :twisted:
nico_cad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D