Lightwave Enterprise Maintenance Issue

Forums: Lightwave Enterprise Maintenance Issue
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Lightwave Enterprise Maintenance Issue

Postby jonjambon » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:25 am

jonjambon Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:25 am
It would be nice to have clarification regarding having continued access to the "EOL Tribute" build of the plugin if one were to choose not to renew Enterprise Maintenance.

As someone who's upgraded from V4 to 2020 perpetual and has been paying for maintenance on my perpetual license, am I going to lose access to the "Tribute" build if I don't renew at this point? The purchase page for maintenance has always stated that "For perpetual 2020.x license holders: provides access to future perpetual license upgrades beyond Octane 2020.x"... Even though Octane is now entering version 2022, this line has never been updated. Which leaves things extra vague... Has this "provides access to" meant that maintenance grants you a perpetual license for whatever version releases in that time frame?... Or does it only give you "access" to buying a perpetual upgrade to the next version?

My personal issue is that I don't feel it would be fair to have to buy another years worth of maintenance on a plugin that will no longer be developed. Considering that's the main reason to pay for it... I just want to be able to use the last build that was released during this maintenance period on may own 2 GPUs without being trapped into paying for access to a discontinued plugin that I, supposedly, already perpetually own.
jonjambon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Lightwave Enterprise Maintenance Issue

Postby Lewis » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:57 am

Lewis Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:57 am
Good questions, I've posted same/similar to support ticket (5 days ago, still no answer sadly).

Maintenance for me means we should get the latest version released up/till date maintenance was valid (that's how it works sin other software I had with similar setup (substance painter, designer, 3dcoat and modo in my case)....

Please OTOY clarify.

Thanks
--
Lewis
http://www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

WS AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090, 1 * RTX 3090
RS1 i7 9800X, 64GB RAM, Win10, 3 * RTX 3090
RS2 i7 6850K, 64GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090
Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby promity » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:40 pm

promity Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:40 pm
My personal issue is that I don't feel it would be fair to have to buy another years worth of maintenance on a plugin that will no longer be developed
- absolutely true.
AMD Threadripper 1950X/64gb ram/RTX 3080 Ti + RTX 2070/Samsung SSD 870 EVO 500 gb/
Lightwave 3d
promity
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Mastoy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:11 pm

Mastoy Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:11 pm
Following this
Mastoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dmodric » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:54 pm

dmodric Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:54 pm
I think it should be ok for OTOY to make some EOL pricing for EOL version of their EOL plugin. It is not fair to pay full subscription price for just using the render engine indefinitely without updates.
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby promity » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:04 am

promity Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:04 am
In general, after another communication with the support service, I realized that we were once again circled around the finger (to put it mildly). As it happened before, the company used a simple tactic that always works - promise everything, and then quietly merge all promises when the emotions of the activated part of the customers subside. This happened this time too - after Julius's promises that the plugin for the LW will be free (without its further development, since juanjgon refused to work on it for his own reasons) - after more half a year no decisions were made on this subject and the company calmly, not tormented by conscience, sells us a plug-in for a LW, which is not fully developed and which was promised to us as free. And we silently buy.
By the way - for owners of a perpetual license for Octane v4 - is it still perpetual? I can't run it, I get the answer that my license (perpetual) has expired.
AMD Threadripper 1950X/64gb ram/RTX 3080 Ti + RTX 2070/Samsung SSD 870 EVO 500 gb/
Lightwave 3d
promity
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:06 am

juanjgon Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:06 am
promity wrote:In general, after another communication with the support service, I realized that we were once again circled around the finger (to put it mildly). As it happened before, the company used a simple tactic that always works - promise everything, and then quietly merge all promises when the emotions of the activated part of the customers subside. This happened this time too - after Julius's promises that the plugin for the LW will be free (without its further development, since juanjgon refused to work on it for his own reasons) - after more half a year no decisions were made on this subject and the company calmly, not tormented by conscience, sells us a plug-in for a LW, which is not fully developed and which was promised to us as free. And we silently buy.
By the way - for owners of a perpetual license for Octane v4 - is it still perpetual? I can't run it, I get the answer that my license (perpetual) has expired.

The LightWave plugin free Prime license is already available:
viewtopic.php?f=135&t=80955

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby promity » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:18 am

promity Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:18 am
Yes, for some reason the plugin did not want to be activated for two days. After that, I discovered with great disappointment that the 4th version does not work with new video cards. And I realized once again what a cunning (to put it mildly) company I had a chance to deal with ))
Lightwave 3d
promity
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:54 am

juanjgon Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:54 am
promity wrote:Yes, for some reason the plugin did not want to be activated for two days. After that, I discovered with great disappointment that the 4th version does not work with new video cards. And I realized once again what a cunning (to put it mildly) company I had a chance to deal with ))

Supporting hardware that was not available when the v4 was in development is almost impossible, as you can understand. The software can work for some time, but at some point, new drivers are needed to support the new hardware, and this breaks this compatibility. In the CPU world things are more stable, but unfortunately (from the compatibility point of view), the GPUs hardware evolves a lot faster.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Lightwave 3D