Additive transparency

Forums: Additive transparency
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Additive transparency

Postby baltort » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:59 am

baltort Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:59 am
Has anyone had any success creating an additive transparency effect in LW? I've got two emissive objects with partial transparency and I'd like the areas where they overlap to be 'double' bright.

I'm not sure where to start with it, so any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks,

James.
baltort
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Additive transparency

Postby elsksa » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:01 pm

elsksa Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:01 pm
Hi James, I do clearly understand what do you mean with "effect". Do you have a photo-reference (from the reality) of what you are trying to achieve?

Octane is a "physically plausible" renderer, it will naturally avoid breaking "energy" in any way (light and shading). Breaking this plausibility would be counter intuitive although understandable in some scenarios (NPR, "special effects" that are achieved via workarounds and tricks, etc).

In reality, as an example, if several glass panels are being layered on top of each others, light will be consequently be "filtered" and will not travel through as much as one panel of glass. In other words, the more layers of transmissive objects (in Octane it corresponds to specular glass, SSS, diffuse "thin" transmission and so on), the less the light pass-through.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D