Mixing cards

Forums: Mixing cards
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Mixing cards

Postby rustyippolito » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:19 am

rustyippolito Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:19 am
Hey Juanjo- Upgrading a machine to two new cards, one 3090 and one A5000 in the same machine. Are there any problems I should be expecting or should I be okay. Both cards have 24GB of RAM each so they should handle scene loading identically. I know there is a difference in RAM speed but not sure if that will give me any probs. About to plug them in and wanted to get your input:)

Thanks for everything!
rustyippolito
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Mixing cards

Postby glimpse » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:09 am

glimpse Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:09 am
In general NVIDIA do not recommend to mix faming and pro cards in the same build, since drivers are different and might lead to some issues.

In the past we had multiple users did mix quadro cards and GTX line and ran pretty fine. Lately talked with couple who added into their rigs A5000 and ended up having issues. Some recent drivers do disable RTX faming cards if drivers see different lines in the same build, in other case performance is not what it has to be.

Since that is mostly driver related thing and NVIDIA warns against using hardware this way, I would recommend to stick gaming or with pro line cards only, unless You have extra time to solve possible issues that most likely You end up having. Not saying it's impossible, just keep in mind that if You would end up contacting NVIDIA, they most likely will not even try to help, other than pointing, that this configuration is not recommended.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D