GPUs options

Forums: GPUs options
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

GPUs options

Postby hdace » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:18 am

hdace Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:18 am
Juanjo,

It's been a long time but I'm glad to be back. Last couple of days I've been enjoying using Octane again and enjoying its splendid results.

But I have a couple of small issues connected with the GPUs options. Firstly, I'm totally up-to-date with software versions with Windows, LightWave, most recent plugin 2019.1 version. I have two Titan Blacks. During rendering, when I open Task Manager and monitor their performances, both of them do seem to be working but only the one with my displays connected actually outputs utilization data. I'm pretty sure the other one is working too, but Task Manager doesn't report. It stays at 0%. I know this is probably a Windows bug, but I'm just wondering if you've ever noticed this too.

The other thing is, I generally like to keep image quality at maximum so I tend to always choose "untonemapped" when asked in output, but in the plugin options, GPUs tab, I don't understand what the "Use Tonemap" buttons are for. My intuition tells me to turn them off, but when I come back I find that they've turned themselves back on!

Best wishes, Hal Dace
Vote for Juanjo!
hdace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: GPUs options

Postby juanjgon » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:35 pm

juanjgon Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:35 pm
Hi,

The Windows task manager is not a great tool to check the GPUs performance. Probably the problem is that you don't have the right mode selected in the graph option, that should be something like "cuda" or "compute_x" to monitor the rendering performance.

The tonemapping GPU option is there to select what GPU(s) are used to process the final image to be displayed in the IPR or in the render windows. At least one GPU must be enabled to be able to render inside LightWave.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: GPUs options

Postby hdace » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:01 pm

hdace Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:01 pm
Okay, I got GPU-Z and now I'm getting sensible readings. The biggest worry was whether they ever overheated and reduced processing speed. I'm pleased to find this is not happening even when they're working at 100% for hours at a time.

For the first time I'm using Octane's network rendering feature and am pleased with this very much too.

Thanks for explaining about the tonemapping buttons.
Vote for Juanjo!
hdace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D