Free?

Forums: Free?
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Free?

Postby lightvu » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:36 pm

lightvu Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:36 pm
Hi I thought one of the big perks for Octane 4 was that any machine with 1 or 2 GPU's would be free, correct me if that was misinformation or a outright lie that someone told me.
The company I work for currently has a number or Monthly subscriptions and we were planning on shifting some of the money spent for Octane fees every month to subscribe to a certain software package.

I don't see this anywhere on the website or the forums.

Cheers! :mrgreen:
lightvu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Free?

Postby AndyM1969 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:42 pm

AndyM1969 Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:42 pm
Lightwave plugin is not free
AndyM1969
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BraceMedia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 pm

BraceMedia Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:06 pm
So the way I understand it is:

- there is a free option for 2 GPUs only, no network
- there is a subscription option for all plugins and 200 network nodes (?)
- there is the option to keep buying standalone licenses for network nodes, and LW plugin for the master system (which previously sounded like it wsa an option they were removing)

Right?

And it sounds like that Octane 3 to 4 upgrades are free?
But, to use Octane 4 in LW, we must pay to upgrade the plugin?

Is this right?
I have genuinely found the whole Octane 4 pricing scheme a total confusion over the last several months.
BraceMedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:28 am

Goldorak Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:28 am
Please read the FAQ here - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69646
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby BraceMedia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:26 am

BraceMedia Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:26 am
Thanks Goldorak...

But as far as I can see, those FAQ do not answer the question about the single DCC plugin, in this case, the Lightwave plugin.... is that a free upgrade for V4 too or a paid upgrade, even if Octane itself is a free upgrade?

For Octane 2018 onwards, it sounds a lot like you want to go subscription only, but then I spotted:

"How can I get a perpetual licence to Octane 2018.1 or later?
Owning Octane is clearly important to many current boxed licence users, and we're working to support such a model for updates beyond V4."

The reason I wouldn't want to go subscription is that especially with the sort of recession we are having here in UK with Brexit crap, projects have been far harder to come by with clients even attempting to do work inhouse. We've actually won zero 3D projects this year at all. I don't want be paying monthly subscriptions for 4 nodes if they are not being used. I'd prefer to just pay up front for perpectual license and know we are good to go when needed.
BraceMedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:56 am

Goldorak Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:56 am
BraceMedia wrote:Thanks Goldorak...

But as far as I can see, those FAQ do not answer the question about the single DCC plugin, in this case, the Lightwave plugin.... is that a free upgrade for V4 too or a paid upgrade, even if Octane itself is a free upgrade?

For Octane 2018 onwards, it sounds a lot like you want to go subscription only, but then I spotted:

"How can I get a perpetual licence to Octane 2018.1 or later?
Owning Octane is clearly important to many current boxed licence users, and we're working to support such a model for updates beyond V4."

The reason I wouldn't want to go subscription is that especially with the sort of recession we are having here in UK with Brexit crap, projects have been far harder to come by with clients even attempting to do work inhouse. We've actually won zero 3D projects this year at all. I don't want be paying monthly subscriptions for 4 nodes if they are not being used. I'd prefer to just pay up front for perpectual license and know we are good to go when needed.

Every standalone and DCC V3 license, LW included, is fee to upgrade to V4. Rent to own for future updates is not a perfect option, but enough uses have vocally made it clear they still want to own octane beyond V4 so we’re now offering at least one way to do it.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby BraceMedia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:39 pm

BraceMedia Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:39 pm
Aha!
Finally, I understand!

Looking forward to the future of Octane too!
BraceMedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D