Motion blur settings

Forums: Motion blur settings
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: Motion blur settings

Postby sjonsjine » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:28 am

sjonsjine Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:28 am
sjonsjine wrote:
sjonsjine wrote:
juanjgon wrote:Sorry, I'm not sure to understand you. Can you please share the scene to take a look at it?

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Hi Juan, I have attached a similar simple scene, here the motion blur is in front of the moving cube instead of after the moving cube.

Thanks!

Freddy

Hmm when the 'blok' is rotated horizontal it goes wrong, when its vertical its okay....I just discovered...why?

Losing it, forget last comment...
sjonsjine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sjonsjine » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:54 am

sjonsjine Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:54 am
sjonsjine wrote:
juanjgon wrote:Sorry, I'm not sure to understand you. Can you please share the scene to take a look at it?

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Hi Juan, I have attached a similar simple scene, here the motion blur is in front of the moving cube instead of after the moving cube.

Thanks!

Freddy

Hi Juan, please check my file, thanks!!

Freddy
sjonsjine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:52 pm

juanjgon Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:52 pm
Hi,

Sorry, I was checking it just now. Well, first don't try to render with Octane a blur length greater than 100%, sometimes it might look like it works with deformations or instances, but probably the final render is not going to match the viewports or the LW native renderer.

And another problem, please leave always the LW camera motion blur passes as 1, because for example, the instances motion blur is computed by the LW SDK taking this parameter into account, so the final motion blur in Octane is going to be shorter with more motion blur passes (probably this is why you are trying to get longer motion blur trails using a 1000% blur length)

Also, if you need to match the LW motion blur with the Octane motion blur starting point, adjusting the LW camera shutter open parameter could be needed.

Hope it helps,
-Juanjo
Attachments
2018-10-24 00_45_11-win64-workstation - TeamViewer.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby sjonsjine » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:07 pm

sjonsjine Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:07 pm
juanjgon wrote:Hi,

Sorry, I was checking it just now. Well, first don't try to render with Octane a blur length greater than 100%, sometimes it might look like it works with deformations or instances, but probably the final render is not going to match the viewports or the LW native renderer.

And another problem, please leave always the LW camera motion blur passes as 1, because for example, the instances motion blur is computed by the LW SDK taking this parameter into account, so the final motion blur in Octane is going to be shorter with more motion blur passes (probably this is why you are trying to get longer motion blur trails using a 1000% blur length)

Also, if you need to match the LW motion blur with the Octane motion blur starting point, adjusting the LW camera shutter open parameter could be needed.

Hope it helps,
-Juanjo

Thank you, will check it out!

Freddy
sjonsjine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby scooternva » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:50 pm

scooternva Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:50 pm
Hi Juanjo,

I resurrected this thread because I am trying to diagnose why motion blur is not tracking correctly in one of my scenes, and was wondering whether this advice from last year still holds true for OctaneRender 2019.1.4 and LightWave 2019.0.3:
juanjgon wrote:Well, first don't try to render with Octane a blur length greater than 100%, sometimes it might look like it works with deformations or instances, but probably the final render is not going to match the viewports or the LW native renderer.

In my scene, I have what are essentially headlights that I'm trying to smear to produce an effect like you'd see when filming cars on a freeway at night with a long shutter exposure (white streaks of light for the headlights, red streaks for the taillights). The problem I was running into when assembling the rendered frames in Adobe After Effects was "gaps" between each headlight streak because the vehicle was moving so fast that a blur less than 100% didn't close the gap between blurred headlight trails. To solve this issue I set motion blur to 200% to get nice long continuous streaks when the frames were assembled in AE, but now it looks like Octane is rendering the motion-blurred headlight streaks in front of the actual headlight emitters, when they should be trailing the headlights. Is this due to setting MB > 100%, or is this something else (e.g., the "Shutter Open" setting, which is currently set to 0%)?

This also caught my eye:
juanjgon wrote:...please leave always the LW camera motion blur passes as 1, because for example, the instances motion blur is computed by the LW SDK taking this parameter into account, so the final motion blur in Octane is going to be shorter with more motion blur passes...

Forum user sjonsjine was using an earlier version of LightWave last year, because I don't see a "Motion Blur Passes" setting in LightWave 2019. I do see a "Subframes" setting... is that the same thing? And more importantly, does the same advice apply (i.e., should Subframes always be set to 1)?

Thanks!
Octane 2020.2.3.1 | LightWave 2019.1.5 (3134) | Win10 Pro 19041.1052 | 2 x Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme w/NVLink | Gigabyte AORUS Xtreme X399 | AMD Ryzen 2950X | 64 GB RAM | SSDs: Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + Seagate FireCuda 510 2 TB | blog.gammans.zone
scooternva
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Lightwave 3D