Godrays above city

Forums: Godrays above city
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: Godrays above city

Postby frankmci » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:22 pm

frankmci Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:22 pm
Freddy,
I haven't been a Lightwave user since about 1995, so any screenshots from me out of C4D or Maya might just be more confusing. However, Lightwave Guru pointed out that the same tag I mentioned is available in Lightwave. "> LW Node Editor for Octane > Octane Render Target > Environment DayLight > "

What matters is that you need the volumetric tools added to your scene. The Daylight tag is one way of including them directly in a light source, but that's not the only way. Using a Volume primitive will do the same thing in a slightly different workflow, and it can be used with any Octane light source.

I thought your original question was very specific to quickly knocking out some god rays from the sun over a city, but I'm guessing you should spend a little time digging into the more general idea and workflow of volumetric lighting in LW. Here's are a few threads that should at least set you on the path.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=62563

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=53505&hilit=volumetric

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=59011&hilit=volumetric

Good luck!
- Frank
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Godrays above city

Postby sjonsjine » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:53 am

sjonsjine Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:53 am
frankmci wrote:Freddy,
I haven't been a Lightwave user since about 1995, so any screenshots from me out of C4D or Maya might just be more confusing. However, Lightwave Guru pointed out that the same tag I mentioned is available in Lightwave. "> LW Node Editor for Octane > Octane Render Target > Environment DayLight > "

What matters is that you need the volumetric tools added to your scene. The Daylight tag is one way of including them directly in a light source, but that's not the only way. Using a Volume primitive will do the same thing in a slightly different workflow, and it can be used with any Octane light source.

I thought your original question was very specific to quickly knocking out some god rays from the sun over a city, but I'm guessing you should spend a little time digging into the more general idea and workflow of volumetric lighting in LW. Here's are a few threads that should at least set you on the path.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=62563

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=53505&hilit=volumetric

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=59011&hilit=volumetric

Good luck!
- Frank

Thank you so much for your clear answer!

I figured out how it works now, have seen some nice beams, with a medium object or just a medium in the render target, but the problem I have now is that when
I see some godrays, the sun is much too bright, it's or the godrays or the over exposed bright sun, at least in my tries.....

Freddy
sjonsjine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Lightwave 3D