Texture 'Decals'

Forums: Texture 'Decals'
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Texture 'Decals'

Postby lightvu » Tue May 08, 2018 2:16 pm

lightvu Tue May 08, 2018 2:16 pm
How would I go about assigning an image to an object so that it behaves like a typical 'texture layer' in LW Native?
When I plug a texture onto an object it overrides the entire surface. I am just looking for put a decal on a ball.
lightvu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Texture 'Decals'

Postby juanjgon » Tue May 08, 2018 9:21 pm

juanjgon Tue May 08, 2018 9:21 pm
Hi,

Do you mean something like that?
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=67066

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Thu May 10, 2018 7:41 pm

3dreamstudios Thu May 10, 2018 7:41 pm
I've had mixed results and not sure why, just moving forward with production....

I will usually add a polygon very close to another and the pipe an image onto it and add transparency to that node as well. This will typically do the job..but for some reason I get weird shadows sometimes. I'm not sure why.

Another way would be to have both textures in one surface and do a surface mix. Say you have a glossy ball and a dull decal. You'd create your glossy ball texture, then have your nodes setup with the decal. Mix the two with the alpha of the decal. I think that should work too. You'll need to position them with a projection node I think.... Good luck.
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu May 10, 2018 8:52 pm

juanjgon Thu May 10, 2018 8:52 pm
3dreamstudios wrote:I will usually add a polygon very close to another and the pipe an image onto it and add transparency to that node as well. This will typically do the job..but for some reason I get weird shadows sometimes. I'm not sure why.

Perhaps what you see are precision issues related to the kernel epsilon parameter. Very close polygons are prone to be rendered with shadows like artifacts if the ray epsilon is not adjusted to the scene scale.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Fri May 11, 2018 8:16 pm

3dreamstudios Fri May 11, 2018 8:16 pm
juanjgon wrote:
3dreamstudios wrote:I will usually add a polygon very close to another and the pipe an image onto it and add transparency to that node as well. This will typically do the job..but for some reason I get weird shadows sometimes. I'm not sure why.

Perhaps what you see are precision issues related to the kernel epsilon parameter. Very close polygons are prone to be rendered with shadows like artifacts if the ray epsilon is not adjusted to the scene scale.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

I do think that's it but have not had a chance to tripple check. Thanks for the reminder!
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mikefrisk » Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm

mikefrisk Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Make sure you aren't using any procedural dirt textures, that will absolutely always mess it up.

Alternatively you can always mix materials using a clipping image, then in the image nodes UV translate to position into place.
mikefrisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lightvu » Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 pm

lightvu Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 pm
juanjgon wrote:Hi,

Do you mean something like that?
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=67066

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Hey, no not like that. I just want to put a label on a can of soup (for example), but I don't want to make the remainder of the can invisible.

Just want to put a simple image onto a cylinder. It's a really simple task but it seems like people are making extra geometry to achieve this effect, not what I was after.
lightvu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lightvu » Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 pm

lightvu Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 pm
Ok guys here’s an example of the type of thing I need to achieve with Octane but have thus far been extremely discouraged because I can find no way of doing it. If somebody has the time, knowledge, kindness to help me with, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a simple can, and the middle texture (All UV’s removed) needs to have the “Campbells” logo on it. I even included the alpha channel of the texture. I don’t want the texture repeated in UV space, I just want one instance of it on the can. Also, I want full control of the texture beneath the logo, for example, I may want to make it a different color, or possibly have a glossy texture with a diffuse image on top.
Please, someone help :D
Attachments
Challenge.zip
(704.69 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
lightvu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mikefrisk » Fri May 18, 2018 9:55 pm

mikefrisk Fri May 18, 2018 9:55 pm
your lwo wouldn't open for some reason but I've made one for you anyway.

basically just used material mixer with your alpha. you'll need to adjust your images so that the edge pixels are all black or all white so when you set it to clamp you don't get streaks.
mikefrisk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lightvu » Tue May 22, 2018 12:06 am

lightvu Tue May 22, 2018 12:06 am
mikefrisk wrote:your lwo wouldn't open for some reason but I've made one for you anyway.

basically just used material mixer with your alpha. you'll need to adjust your images so that the edge pixels are all black or all white so when you set it to clamp you don't get streaks.

Ok thanks for the help :)
Can you post the file? Also it was made in Modeler 2018 so that might be why you couldn't read it.

Cheers!
lightvu
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Lightwave 3D