Possible feature request - dynamic change material

Forums: Possible feature request - dynamic change material
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Possible feature request - dynamic change material

Postby alexos » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

alexos Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm
So I have a road sweeping machine that's doing its job, and I would like it if the road surface changed where it passes; a simple from dry (diffuse) to wet (glossy) would suffice...
Except I can't figure out how to do that. So, Juanjo, buddy, is there any way to have a node that uses a reference object to change a surface? Like the "mix material" but driven by a null or whatever instead of a texture?

Thanks!

ADP.
alexos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Possible feature request - dynamic change material

Postby 3dreamstudios » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:32 pm

3dreamstudios Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:32 pm
That could be useful for other things too. Would be nice to have something like that controlled by gradient and null as you say.

If there isn't something quick that could be done (already available to us) you could consider rendering out two pieces of animation and then doing some nice composite work!

Good luck with the sweeping!
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Possible feature request - dynamic change material

Postby baltort » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:49 am

baltort Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:49 am
You could try something like this:

I normally create a simple gradient texture image and then link a projection node to the position properties of a null object. The only small hack is that Octane's z dimension appears to be flipped compared to Lightwave's, so use a multiply node to flip the coordinates you're using.

Moving the null doesn't generally cause the IPR to refresh. Nudging the timeline forward and backward one frame does the trick.

Good luck,

J.

roadSweepTextureDemo.jpg
Attachments
roadSweepDemo.zip
(330.29 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
baltort
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D