Fake Alpha Shadows

Forums: Fake Alpha Shadows
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Fake Alpha Shadows

Postby 3dreamstudios » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:05 pm

3dreamstudios Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:05 pm
Or something like that. I'm not seeing how to use an alpha to CUT OUT a texture without shadows. I think we use to have a Fake Alpha Shadows or something. Not finding it anywhere I look...
Attachments
fakealphashadow.jpg
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Fake Alpha Shadows

Postby juanjgon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:30 pm

juanjgon Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:30 pm
The fake shadows option is there, but in the specular material. I think that what you need is to get the alpha channel using a texture node in "alpha image" node type linked to the opacity input of any material node.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:21 pm

3dreamstudios Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:21 pm
juanjgon wrote:The fake shadows option is there, but in the specular material. I think that what you need is to get the alpha channel using a texture node in "alpha image" node type linked to the opacity input of any material node.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Well in the past I have used DIFFUSE material with an alpha texture to make the entire polygon (except the alpha portion) be completely transparent, like a sticker of sorts...

I don't want Specular material...need diffuse to not cast shadow if it's transparent from texture...?!?
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:13 pm

juanjgon Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:13 pm
Sorry, as far as I know, this kind of effect was always done adding a copy of the texture node to extract the alpha channel linked to the diffuse node opacity input, as you can see in the attached image. If you still get a shadow effect, perhaps the material of the background object has some kind of ambient occlusion or dirt node, or something like that.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
Attachments
image-002091.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Lightwave 3D