Specular material differences between LW and Native Octane

Forums: Specular material differences between LW and Native Octane
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Specular material differences between LW and Native Octane

Postby lstudios3d » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:15 pm

lstudios3d Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:15 pm
I wanted to try out Octane 4 so I exported a few scenes out to try and test the denoiser. I hadn't exported an ORBX before so I wasn't sure what my results were going to be but I was really surprised when I click on render target and it starts rendering and looks exactly like it did in LW. I've come across a few issues as I mess around a little more. First is wanting the scene that I export to save my camera animations so I can scrub through the timeline and get different views. Not sure this is possible but I would assume it is so that you can export out scenes to be rendered on the cloud.

The second thing I noticed was how much better the specular materials look in Octane 4 vs LW. I'm not sure if this was something that was changed in Octane 4 or if its a difference in how something is handled in the LW plugin but it looks far better with the same settings. On a side note, denoise really didn't like this scene rendering out black pixelated squares around most but not all of the specular materials. It did still clean up the out of focus metal in the bg which was nice at least.
Attachments
Octane.png
LW.png
lstudios3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Specular material differences between LW and Native Octane

Postby juanjgon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 pm

juanjgon Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 pm
Hi,

To export an animated sequence from the LW plugin to an .orbx file you need to enable the export options in the render target root node options panel and press F10 to start the sequence exporting functions. Be aware that currently only the scenes configured to be rendered in "update" mode will be exported.

About the material changes, yes, I suppose that perhaps Octane 4 has improved materials not available yet in the current 3.08 plugins.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Specular material differences between LW and Native Octane

Postby lstudios3d » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:57 pm

lstudios3d Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:57 pm
Thanks Juanjo. F10 that's where I was going wrong.

I figured the render should look the same if it was the same version but wasn't sure. I can't wait to have all these new features and tools inside of LW.
lstudios3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D