smart "render by time" feature

Forums: smart "render by time" feature
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

smart "render by time" feature

Postby rustyippolito » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:37 am

rustyippolito Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:37 am
Hey Juango-

We have been doing a lot of TFD/Octane work as of late and one thing that has come up is render times being equal in the "by time" selection in the render target. It is a very helpful way to work when you need to have a render done by a certain time (like when you stay up working 3 hours later than you wanted to, so you just figure out how much time you need before client presentation and do the math to figure out optimum per frame times). But when you have a scene that has an explosion and the render time needs to be the same for every frame, you end up wasting a load of time on frames that do not need it (like before the explosion). What would be great, is if you could do a low res render of the sequence and Octane could keep a record (create a curve) of how much time was needed to render every frame to a certain amount of samples. Then you could set the "by time" feature to be relative to the longest frame it took to render that low res version(referencing that curve). This way the render could be set to a time-based system, using the longest render frames as a starting point. I hope this post makes sense, as i have worked three hours past my bed time and wanted to get this idea to you before i forgot it:)

Thank you as always!
rustyippolito
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: smart "render by time" feature

Postby juanjgon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:42 am

juanjgon Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:42 am
Hi,

The render by time parameter can be animated using the "E" envelope button, so at least you should be able to adjust the render time for the frames with fewer data to render. A simple curve can make the trick.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Lightwave 3D