Texturing is world position only?

Forums: Texturing is world position only?
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Texturing is world position only?

Postby johnkarner » Sat May 27, 2017 1:42 am

johnkarner Sat May 27, 2017 1:42 am
So I have a cylinder with an Octane noise procedural which is rotating on H, (lmagine a tornado) Now the cylinder is animated with bones and deformations. The noise texture is not tracking to the movement of the geo. Like it's using world coordinates. I've tried using item info (of the .lwo) to lock the position and rotation but it doesn't appear to "lock" the swirling noise to the displaced geo. Am I missing a simple step?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
johnkarner
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Texturing is world position only?

Postby juanjgon » Sat May 27, 2017 9:16 am

juanjgon Sat May 27, 2017 9:16 am
To lock a procedural texture to a mesh that has deformations you need to add a "Mesh UV" projection node, linked to the projection input in the texture node. The object needs an UV map, that will be used as a reference for the procedural to lock the texture to the mesh.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
Attachments
image-001522.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby johnkarner » Sun May 28, 2017 9:08 pm

johnkarner Sun May 28, 2017 9:08 pm
Thank you very much, I was able to cobble together that along with animating the UV map to get the noise to turn around the cylinder object. The second issue (Which is a general texturing issue) is that the cylindrical map does stretch at the top and bottom which is to be expected. I would like to figure out a way to use a gradient or something as an alpha channel on that noise node to remove the stretched area. This doesn't seem possible as I don't see any inputs on any nodes to allow for this?

There should really be someplace that have examples of common texturing. Scouring youtube , Otoy vids , manuals, there is literally nothing I can find on this subject of texturing. How is that possible? I would love a link to them if they exist.
johnkarner
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby johnkarner » Sun May 28, 2017 9:17 pm

johnkarner Sun May 28, 2017 9:17 pm
Another question.

To animated the swirling noise on a cylinder, I had to literally keyframe the UV map to move on the U and V using an arbitrary amount such as 0 at f0 to .25 at f120 to get a slow moving texture. I had actually attempt various other ways by using a null that would spin on the H and move on the Y however none of the various attempts at using "item info" of the selected null worked to affect the noise. Wouldn't this seem the most obvious way to attempt such a request? It's much easier to turn a null 180 degrees than to shift over a UV map 50% on the U.
johnkarner
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D