Strange render issue on one object

Forums: Strange render issue on one object
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Strange render issue on one object

Postby Alteris3D » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Alteris3D Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:42 pm
I've been noodling around with a scene between projects. I posted regarding some issues with this scene before, and Juanjo solved that issue as I was using an object dissolve to separate the two motions. It is a scene created with bullet, and after the simulation stops, I am keyframing the characters into place. So the dynamic motion is saved in mdd, and then I "Save transformed" objects and replace them for the keyframe motion. However the "A" character surfacing changes dramatically between the object controlled by the mdd and the object that was "Saved transformed". The surface settings are identical. The other dozen or so characters are fine. I can't seem to figure this out. Any ideas?

mdd motion final frame:

Frame from mdd motion.JPG

Next frame, "Save Transformed" objects, all mdd objects removed. Look at side of "A":

Frame from save transformed.JPG

"
Alteris3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Strange render issue on one object

Postby juanjgon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:18 pm

juanjgon Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:18 pm
It is hard to say. It seems a change in the normals, the smoothing angle parameter or something like that. Can you send me this new scene and the objects/textures needed to reproduce the problem?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Alteris3D » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Alteris3D Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:46 pm
Thanks Juanjo, I sent you the scene. The smoothing angles are the same in the surface editor. I'll be interested in learning what you discover.
Alteris3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:11 pm

juanjgon Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:11 pm
I've been investigating this issue and it seems a problem related to how LightWave computes the surface normals. I'm not sure why, but the computed smoothing normals are not the same in both objects. I am going to make more tests to try to find why this happens.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Lightwave 3D