Z Buffer in Fusion

Forums: Z Buffer in Fusion
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Z Buffer in Fusion

Postby 3dreamstudios » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:35 pm

3dreamstudios Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:35 pm
I'm messing with adding fog to my scenes with Fusion. But the depth buffer image black and white seems to be reversed from what Fusion is wanting. I can't imagine this is a fusion or an octane issue....it's most certainly a user issue! me. How do you guys setup your z-buffer exports/saves, and do you use Fusion?
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Z Buffer in Fusion

Postby 3dreamstudios » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 pm

3dreamstudios Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 pm
How do I render out a main beauty pass (as if nothing is separated out) just a regular render everything included in image. And then also a seperate file with ZBuffer in one render setup scene file?
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:52 pm

juanjgon Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:52 pm
Hi,

Sorry, I've no experience with Fusion, so I'm sure how to resolve your question about the ZBuffer. I suppose that if the buffer is inverted you could invert it using a Fusion node.

About your second question, as soon as you enable the z depth pass and configure the passes file options, you should get always the beauty pass along all the other selected buffers, unless you select a multi-layered EXR output. In this case all the passes are going to be including in the same EXR file.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:07 pm

3dreamstudios Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:07 pm
juanjgon wrote:Hi,

Sorry, I've no experience with Fusion, so I'm sure how to resolve your question about the ZBuffer. I suppose that if the buffer is inverted you could invert it using a Fusion node.

About your second question, as soon as you enable the z depth pass and configure the passes file options, you should get always the beauty pass along all the other selected buffers, unless you select a multi-layered EXR output. In this case all the passes are going to be including in the same EXR file.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Do you know if the Z Buffer is as expected in all other apps? Black 0 and White 1. 1 Being furthest from camera?

So I have setup the RENDER PASSES node in the "Open Editor" to include the Z Buffer. Under File Format I have PNG set. Not Multilayer EXR or anything. I still have a LW Render Output setup as well....but am not getting both a Main Render as well as the Z Buffer....just the Z Buffer.

I've probably missed a check box. Thanks for helping....
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:24 pm

juanjgon Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:24 pm
Yes, the "Z Depth" pass should have a floating value, normalized from 0.0 for the near objects to 1.0 for the far objects, configured using the "Z Depth Max" parameter.

I'm testing a scene here, and I always get the beauty pass (with the _Main suffix) as soon as I configure the render passes node file options. Are you sure that you don't get it?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
Attachments
image-001348.jpg
test-_Z_0001.png
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:25 pm

juanjgon Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:25 pm
I have remembered an issue related to the render passes fixed some time ago. Are you working with the latest build?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:27 pm

3dreamstudios Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:27 pm
juanjgon wrote:I have remembered an issue related to the render passes fixed some time ago. Are you working with the latest build?

Thanks,
-Juanjo

I am not using 3.05 latest.. Waiting for a project to finish before chaning over....that might be it!

Would be great to have the option to invert the Z Depth inside Octane, so the actual output would be correct for compositors. Crazy that other compositor apps see it correctly if they do...Fusion is pretty main stream I think. It's free anyway... :) so....

I'll update tomorrow or Monday to 3.05 and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the feedback and confirmations!
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D